Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Official ICENI praising thread :)

Default Re: Official ICENI praising thread :)

When CA announced that there were only 8 playable factions I got mad because the Iceni were one of those factions. But now, after the announcement of Pontus and the Greek culture pack, I look to the Iceni with indifference. Fine, they will be there as playable faction and probably I will never play as them, but they don't bother me anymore.
    Last edited by Boicote; June 26, 2013 at 05:08 PM.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by perifanosEllinas View Post
    There is no point in arguing among ourselves people.Peace.Just relax and watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Ega3dbE6b08
    By using that video's depiction, it seems like the Iceni started with a honourable quest to remove Rome from Britannia and revenge the oppression done upon them, but then they became just as worse or worser than the Romans with their brutality, sacking and mindless slaugther of civilians.

Indefinitely Banned

There is no point in arguing among ourselves people.Peace.Just relax and watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Ega3dbE6b08
    Using that video's depiction of the Iceni, it seems like they started with a honourable quest of trying to remove Roman power from Britain and revenge the oppression done upon them, but then they became just as bad or worse than the Romans by their sacking and killing of civilians. Gives me more another reason to exterminate them than to join them, my sympathies wavered as the video progressed.

I cannot wait to play as the Iceni although I'm looking more forward to the Suebi, landlocked, the first line of defense against the Roman legions, it's going to be really hard to play as them and very interesting I'm so glad CA made the barbarians an ambush based faction this is the first time ambushes will actually play a major role in a total war game rather than just a minor inconvenience maybe 3 times a game. As for the history nuts and bashers let them bash and don't worry about it I've been on TWcenter forever and right before releases is when all these people come out and freak out that its not historically accurate or the game is gonna be broken. I don't get why this happens since its just a video game meant for entertainment not a history book meant for the national archives, its a game where you change history not follow it so I really don't understand the issues but that is total war fandom....still don't get why they buy the games if it upsets them so much

I don't see any problem with them. If you don't like them, just kill them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Caighlain View Post
    Using that video's depiction of the Iceni, it seems like they started with a honourable quest of trying to remove Roman power from Britain and revenge the oppression done upon them, but then they became just as bad or worse than the Romans by their sacking and killing of civilians. Gives me more another reason to exterminate them than to join them, my sympathies wavered as the video progressed.
    Now,that's a very bad comparison.You can't compare a tyrant and his army that come to take your land by force of arms,kill the men,rape the women,whip anyone who says "no" to their tyrannic demands,pillage your land and demand unbearably large taxes with the people who fight to get rid of that tyrant,just because except for Roman troops they also killed Roman civilians.You simply cannot compare them.

And since you watched the video my friend,don't ignore that they also depict the Romans as extremely arrogant,disrespectful,violent and tyrannic people that treated the British tribes as worthless,inferior dogs.The British didn't torture,rape and crucify Roman civilians,as the Romans did to other people.

Honestly,after what the Romans did to the Iceni (whipping,rapping,pillaging,taking their land by force,humiliating their queen),how did you expect them to react?It seems pretty normal that they killed every Roman they found in their way.

The exact opposite happened with me.As the video progressed,my sympathies grew bigger and bigger for their revolt and my antipathy for Rome also grew bigger and bigger.I hate arrogant and disrespectful people.Although I admire their army.The exact same thing happens for me with the Spartans too.I hate their arrogance but love their phalanx and general approach to war(elite heavy infantry for manly close quarters engaging,hate the cavalry,hate the archers,they're so cool).I don't know for sure which faction I'll play first,but I will certainly burn Rome to the ground just for the sake of all those people who suffered at their hands.

(Just a note: a fan of RTW that hates the Romans?How shocking,huh? Wait Roman fanboys!Don't execute me yet...)

Iceni are the coolest, but perhaps that's just the anglophile in me.

Evan MF's Avatar Vicarius

It would be stupid not to have a tribe representing Britannia the game. You can claim the Iceni's 'relative insignificance' all you want, but the fact is Britain as a whole was a very important part of Rome's expanding frontier, so much that at one point they had over a fifth of their military stationed on the island. The conquest of Britannia was a major campaign and a haulmark of the extent of the Roman Empire. Now that that's established it's obvious that the Iceni are the most iconic and appropriate ambassadors for Britannia, due to Boudicca, their resilience to the Roman Empire and also their unit variety; chariots add a new dimension to barbarian gameplay. They thoroughly deserve to be in the game and it's not mere anglophilia that got them in.
    Last edited by Evan MF; June 26, 2013 at 09:11 PM.

Serkelet's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Evan MF View Post
    It would be stupid not to have a tribe representing Britannia the game. You can claim the Iceni's 'relative insignificance' all you want, but the fact is Britain as a whole was a very important part of Rome's expanding frontier, so much that at one point they had over a fifth of their military stationed on the island. The conquest of Britannia was a major campaign and a haulmark of the extent of the Roman Empire. Now that that's established it's obvious that the Iceni are the most iconic and appropriate ambassadors for Britannia, due to Boudicca, their resilience to the Roman Empire and also their unit variety; chariots add a new dimension to barbarian gameplay. They thoroughly deserve to be in the game and it's not mere anglophilia that got them in.
    The Caledonians would have been 10x better choice than the Iceni. You can't speak about "resilience against the Roman Empire" when you mention a tribe that betrayed the rest of the British tribes and joined forces with the Romans at the first chance, and which rebellion lasted as long as it took for a legion to come from the Continent to the island. If you want an example of "resilience against the Roman Empire", talk about the picts.

Oh... yeah... they are not as cool, right? because they were in Scotish land, and not near London... Ewwww...

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Serkelet View Post
    The Caledonians would have been 10x better choice than the Iceni. You can't speak about "resilience against the Roman Empire" when you mention a tribe that betrayed the rest of the British tribes and joined forces with the Romans at the first chance, and which rebellion lasted as long as it took for a legion to come from the Continent to the island. If you want an example of "resilience against the Roman Empire", talk about the picts.

Oh... yeah... they are not as cool, right? because they were in Scotish land, and not near London... Ewwww...
    The problem with Scotland is that it's full of Scots.

Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    The problem with Scotland is that it's full of Scots.
    There are two things I hate in this world.

People who are intolerant of other peoples' culture, and the Dutch.

Arokel's Avatar Civis

I will probably have to give the Iceni a spin.

As much as I love Rome sacking it with chariots sounds awesome.

kikokyle's Avatar Miles

Iceni - cool island faction, more unique than other barbarian factions (chariots), posed a great threat to Rome's British control, historically significant. As I said before, British starting position is cooler than Spain (Iberia) or modern day Romania (Dacia), imo.
    FX 6100 4.1Ghz | ASUS M5A97 EVO | 16GB Crucial Sport Ballistix | HIS IceQ 7950 | Kingston Digital SSDNow V300 120GB | WD 1TB, Hitachi 500 GB | Thermaltake TR2 600W | Thermaltake Commander MSI Epic
    Favorite TW: Medieval 2 / Rome (XGM Mod) / Rome 2
    Favorite games: Praetorians (2003) / Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past / Final Fantasy X
    "A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool, because he has to say something." ~Plato

The reason for picking the factions they did such as the Iceni is not for historical accuracy but rather because they gave Rome trouble and were involved in a famous battle with Rome at some point in their history. They want actual tribes and groups to be playable instead of simple generic factions like Gaul, Germania, Egypt and so forth. With the game being themed on the Rome Empire (The name being Total War: Rome 2) its logical to choose tribes that were involved in famous battles and incidents involving the empire at some point during its history. Thus making it easier to understand for those without history degrees (or passions for it) to jump in and get immersed in the game. If you ask the average person to name other peoples, cultures, and tribes during the Roman era names like Iceni, arverni, and Sparta will be mentioned. Its not about who was a power player at the exact year the game starts but who was a power player at some point during Rome's history. Giving the player the chance to play as that tribe and change history, not repeat it.

If you want to make the argument the Picts were a better choice than the Iceni I would counter with the fact that they are not as iconic to the average person as the Iceni. The Picts did some crazy things but it was the Iceni who killed off the 9th and fought Paulinus and the 2nd at watling street. Its something not only recognizable but Iconic and something that far more people can relate to.

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by perifanosEllinas View Post
    The playable Hellenic city-states so far are four,not three.Epirus,Macedon,Athens and Sparta.
    Macedon was it's own faction in Rome I. Epirus, Sparta, and Athens were not.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

JenkinsEar's Avatar Foederatus

Iceni and Britain were unimportant for the majority of Roman history except maybe for the fact that Constantine's father was stationed there and/or Caligula & Julius Caesar's campaign there. It was a small insignificant island and the Iceni as a faction are never mentioned in the sources that are mainly cited for this period.

Anyone could easily make a case for Armenia or the Seleucid empire to be in the game instead because they are much, much, much more prosperous, advanced and important civilizations in this time period. The fact that the celts had no written language, very little engineering skill and were insular in outlook makes it a very anglocentric decision to include them over 2 or even 3 eastern factions with cities made of stone and complex bureaucracies. While the Iceni wallowed in their primitive mud and hay huts, rolling in ****.

The Iceni and Britain was a backwards *:wub: in this time period no matter how many times the British and the anglophiles try to 'big up' these primitive tribes.

They are only in the game for purely jingoistic reasons. Or maybe at a stretch, because that part of the map was missing a faction and for game balance. Still it's a stretch, compare the Iceni to any Major or (Minor!) Eastern faction and it's like comparing caveman to the ancient Egyptians!

The major celtic civilization at this time was in Gaul, fullstop. The scythians and the sarmatians also had much larger impacts on Roman and world history too. I mean one could make a thread : ' List the factions that were more important than the Iceni in this time period'.

I will still buy the game, as I have loved all the TW games since Shogun 1. But you would have to be a fool to not think that Jingoism or copy/paste Averni did not play a role in the decision to include the Iceni.
    Last edited by JenkinsEar; June 27, 2013 at 02:19 AM.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Boicote View Post
    When CA announced that there were only 8 playable factions I got mad because the Iceni were one of those factions. But now, after the announcement of Pontus and the Greek culture pack, I look to the Iceni with indifference. Fine, they will be there as playable faction and probably I will never play as them, but they don't bother me anymore.
    Remember when I made a thread "MAKE 12 FACTIONS INSTEAD OF 8" ??? HUH???!!!
    Remember... asshols?!

Same here bro, Im as glad as hell to have Iceni in, even though I got a nerd rage when they were first annozunced.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Other than the two Shoguns, every single Total War game to date has had a faction on the isles. Hell, the British even showed up in Fall of the Samurai.

So... Is this a surprise to anyone at all? Really?

Get over it. They'll be fun.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Seanakk's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by JenkinsEar View Post
    Iceni and Britain were unimportant for the majority of Roman history except maybe for the fact that Constantine's father was stationed there and/or Caligula & Julius Caesar's campaign there. It was a small insignificant island and the Iceni as a faction are never mentioned in the sources that are mainly cited for this period.

Anyone could easily make a case for Armenia or the Seleucid empire to be in the game instead because they are much, much, much more prosperous, advanced and important civilizations in this time period. The fact that the celts had no written language, very little engineering skill and were insular in outlook makes it a very anglocentric decision to include them over 2 or even 3 eastern factions with cities made of stone and complex bureaucracies. While the Iceni wallowed in their primitive mud and hay huts, rolling in ****.

The Iceni and Britain was a backwards *********** in this time period no matter how many times the British and the anglophiles try to 'big up' these primitive tribes.

They are only in the game for purely jingoistic reasons. Or maybe at a stretch, because that part of the map was missing a faction and for game balance. Still it's a stretch, compare the Iceni to any Major or (Minor!) Eastern faction and it's like comparing caveman to the ancient Egyptians!

The major celtic civilization at this time was in Gaul, fullstop. The scythians and the sarmatians also had much larger impacts on Roman and world history too. I mean one could make a thread : ' List the factions that were more important than the Iceni in this time period'.

I will still buy the game, as I have loved all the TW games since Shogun 1. But you would have to be a fool to not think that Jingoism or copy/paste Averni did not play a role in the decision to include the Iceni.
    Relax, you'll live longer.

The Great Montrose's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Serkelet View Post

I like this guy! Long live Calgacus and the Caledonian confederation!! Also I'm not sure, maybe someone will correct me here but I think it was a legion that came from Wales that destroyed Boudicca's revolt.

Quote Originally Posted by jsully16 View Post
    There are two things I hate in this world.

People who are intolerant of other peoples' culture, and the Dutch.
    It's a line from Braveheart
    Last edited by The Great Montrose; June 27, 2013 at 04:17 AM.
    the dream will never die

Robert Wishart, Bishop of Glasgow, 'the kingdom of Scotland is not held in tribute or homage to anyone save God alone.' - 1290.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast