Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Official ICENI praising thread :)

Indefinitely Banned

Icon6 Official ICENI praising thread :)

Hello, I recently recieved some constructive criticism that I praise Parthia too much in my threads, but hell no, I just tell the facts, none of my threads was a bout praising that GREAT EMPIRE SWAG faction.

So ICENI, no kidding, kid; Iceni are a good choice for an in game faction, among all barbarian factions I think Im gonna preffer the Iceni most of all, because they have a good island setting, CELTIC CHARIOTS, and ofcourse a mild blue colour code just as blue as Kim Kardashiens beutifull eyes

And, they are close to stonehenge, have Boudica, a woman as their special character, so... Probably nice ships too, britania rooles the wawes and all that, so they are a perfect choice by CA for an unique barberien faction.

Trust me, ull enjoy playing as Iceni, my humple person surely will...

Default Re: Official ICENI praising thread :)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EKTw50Uf8M
    Last edited by Sandraker; June 26, 2013 at 05:16 AM.

TotalWarker's Avatar Ordinarius

Cannot wait to play these guys. Will be my first faction probably, well either them or the Germanic barbarians. Would be great to know a little more info on things like the unit roster, naval units, diplomacy and politics of these guys.

Mamertine's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Sandraker View Post
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EKTw50Uf8M
    Why do all the Iceni have Jersey Shore haircuts? Am I the only ones that noticed that?

When Hiero returned to besiege their base (Messana) in 265 BC the Mamertines called for help from a nearby fleet from Carthage, which occupied the harbor of Messana. Seeing this, the Syracuse forces retired, not wishing to confront Carthaginian forces. Uncomfortable under the Cathaginian "protection," the Mamertines now appealed to Rome to be allowed into the protection of the Roman people. At first, the Romans did not wish to come to the aid of soldiers who had unjustly stolen a city from its rightful possessors. However, unwilling to see Carthaginian power spread further over Sicily and get too close to Italy, Rome responded by entering into an alliance with the Mamertines. In response, Syracuse allied itself with Carthage, imploring their protection. With Rome and Carthage brought into conflict, the Syracuse/Mamertine conflict escalated into the First Punic War.

As someone new to this forum, what's all this iceni hate about anyway?Seems to be like a meme here.

dunno some people find that they are not "historically accurate" or something.

Iceni are not my most favorite faction but it would be weird excluding a British tribe. Besides due to their position I think they will make a fine faction for new players of the game.

Isn't it that the Iceni weren't very relevant in Britain during R2's timeframe (at least at the start)?

Mamertine's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Rhellic View Post
    As someone new to this forum, what's all this iceni hate about anyway?Seems to be like a meme here.
    Because the Iceni was a small and insignificant tribe at the time of the game and was only relevant hundreds of years later but CA decided to put them in as a British faction because they are a British company and/or people have heard of Queen Boudicca. I could go into more detail, but that is the gist. Because of these reasons many here consider them a fake faction or are in for marketing reasons. The same argument has also been made about the Suebi for largely the same reasons (with the exception of CA not also being a German company) only replace Boudicca with Teutoberg.
    Last edited by Mamertine; June 26, 2013 at 06:24 AM.
    When Hiero returned to besiege their base (Messana) in 265 BC the Mamertines called for help from a nearby fleet from Carthage, which occupied the harbor of Messana. Seeing this, the Syracuse forces retired, not wishing to confront Carthaginian forces. Uncomfortable under the Cathaginian "protection," the Mamertines now appealed to Rome to be allowed into the protection of the Roman people. At first, the Romans did not wish to come to the aid of soldiers who had unjustly stolen a city from its rightful possessors. However, unwilling to see Carthaginian power spread further over Sicily and get too close to Italy, Rome responded by entering into an alliance with the Mamertines. In response, Syracuse allied itself with Carthage, imploring their protection. With Rome and Carthage brought into conflict, the Syracuse/Mamertine conflict escalated into the First Punic War.

biohazardcake's Avatar Tiro

I don't know about realism but woad warriors + chariots + boats= invasion of rome seems like fun.

The Great Montrose's Avatar Senator

Iceni will be the best faction, cool chariots, brilliant island starting position, barbarian hordes. I honestly cant wait to play as them.
    the dream will never die

Robert Wishart, Bishop of Glasgow, 'the kingdom of Scotland is not held in tribute or homage to anyone save God alone.' - 1290.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamertine View Post
    Because the Iceni was a small and insignificant tribe at the time of the game and was only relevant hundreds of years later but CA decided to put them in as a British faction because they are a British company and/or people have heard of Queen Boudicca. I could go into more detail, but that is the gist. Because of these reasons many here consider them a fake faction or are in for marketing reasons. The same argument has also been made about the Suebi for largely the same reasons (with the exception of CA not also being a German company) only replace Boudicca with Teutoberg.
    Huh. I guess I understand about the Iceni, but aren't the Suebi pretty well attested as one of the major powers among the germanic peoples at the time?

DogSoldierSPQR's Avatar Senator

Your comment is not accurate whatsoever. There was a British faction in RTW1, so there will be one RTW2. It doesn't take too much logic figuring that out. Jack mentioned previously that "Nationalism played no role in our decision". There was always going to be a British faction in there. Just like the Arverni replace the previous Gaul faction and the Suebi replace the previous Germanic faction.

Get over your hate for the Iceni. As I've said time and time again, the Iceni had a massive impact on the Roman occupation of Britain and this game is about the Romans and their point of view overall.
    I personally invite you to check out my complete combat overhaul which will give you a completely new Rome 2 experience:
    (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ere!-(26-10-13)
    If you rep me, leave that beautiful name of yours so I know who you are
    That a salesperson at my door? Where my Gladius at??
    An empire always fails because it never sees the potential in the individual. The smaller state never fails because it has no choice but to... - DogSoldierSPQR

Indefinitely Banned

I'm pretty excited to ride my chariots over the corpses of Romans straight to the doors of the senate. I will exact a vast amount of tribute from all the weakling nations of the mediteranean.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Cvetko again."
    Last edited by Spartacus041; June 26, 2013 at 07:33 AM.

Mamertine's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by DogSoldierSPQR View Post
    Your comment is not accurate whatsoever. There was a British faction in RTW1, so there will be one RTW2. It doesn't take too much logic figuring that out. Jack mentioned previously that "Nationalism played no role in our decision". There was always going to be a British faction in there. Just like the Arverni replace the previous Gaul faction and the Suebi replace the previous Germanic faction.

Get over your hate for the Iceni. As I've said time and time again, the Iceni had a massive impact on the Roman occupation of Britain and this game is about the Romans and their point of view overall.
    My comment is extremely accurate. I was asked why people on this forum do not like the Iceni and I told em exactly what it is people say and gave their reasons why. I know CA already addressed the nationalism thing, but most others do not. And the Iceni did not have a massive impact on the Roman occupation of Britannia, an impact yes, but not massive. That honor is left for the Picts. There is no doubt that CA has some of these factions in Rome 2 (and Rome 1) for marketing reasons, though and it would be dumb from a business standpoint not to.

I have no hate for the Iceni. Calm down fanboy.

Serkelet's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by DogSoldierSPQR View Post

Yeah, you're totally right. Just as also the Seleucids replaced Rome 1 Seleucids... wait a minute...

Mamertine's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Rhellic View Post
    Huh. I guess I understand about the Iceni, but aren't the Suebi pretty well attested as one of the major powers among the germanic peoples at the time?
    The game is going to start around 270ishBC, the battle of Teutoberg Forest was almost 300 years later at 9AD. A better faction, imo, would have been the Cimbrians due to their wars with the Romans and the impact they had at the time as well as the relevance of when it happened. These wars were one of the bigger threats to Rome pre-Imperial and brought about the Marian reforms, the biggest changes in the Roman army for hundreds of years, possibly ever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cimbrian_War

Mamertine's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Serkelet View Post
    Yeah, you're totally right. Just as also the Seleucids replaced Rome 1 Seleucids... wait a minute...
    Don't forget "Spain", Numidia, Thrace...

DogSoldierSPQR's Avatar Senator

My comment is extremely accurate. I was asked why people on this forum do not like the Iceni and I told em exactly what it is people say and gave their reasons why. I know CA already addressed the nationalism thing, but most others do not. And the Iceni did not have a massive impact on the Roman occupation of Britannia, an impact yes, but not massive. That honor is left for the Picts. There is no doubt that CA has some of these factions in Rome 2 (and Rome 1) for marketing reasons, though and it would be dumb from a business standpoint not to.

I have no hate for the Iceni. Calm down fanboy.
    Nope, your comment is not accurate.
    If Paulinus's legion was defeated, that would've have been the end of Roman occupation in Britain. Forget the picts, they didn't burn down any cities, they didn't massacre Roman civilians and families and burn down the capital, the Iceni did.
    Out of all the British tribes, the Iceni were the ones who had the Romans on the edge. The picts were resisting and it was hard to get to them in their highland areas, but no way in hell did they have an impact on the Romans like the Iceni did. There was nothing up there of any value for the Romans so they could not be bothered putting any effort in pursuing that campaign. Fanboy? You do know there is SPQR in my name...and we are talking about the Iceni?

@Serkelet Selucids are irrelevant in this conversation.
    I personally invite you to check out my complete combat overhaul which will give you a completely new Rome 2 experience:
    (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ere!-(26-10-13)
    If you rep me, leave that beautiful name of yours so I know who you are
    That a salesperson at my door? Where my Gladius at??
    An empire always fails because it never sees the potential in the individual. The smaller state never fails because it has no choice but to... - DogSoldierSPQR

I think the Iceni are just a stepping stone to creating a greater 'Britons' faction. The same applies to the Arverni / Gauls and Suebi/ Germans. I think CA chose them not just because of Queen Boudica, but also because the Creative Assembly are located in Norfolk, which is the ancient home of the Iceni.
    The rebellion led by the Iceni was the most destructive the Romans ever faced in Britain, but the Picts and the Silures were much harder opponents for the Romans to bring down (they never succeeded with the Picts, who are first mentioned by name in AD 297 by a Roman poet called Eumenius) .

Lord Dakier's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Sandraker View Post
    That video gave me cancer...
    We Came, We Saw, We Ran Away!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast