Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blast From The Past & The Future of RTR

Maurits's Avatar ЯTR

Default Re: Blast From The Past & The Future of RTR

Quote Originally Posted by ahowl11 View Post
    I will try to answer these, the best I can.

4. Now if you are saying an Army cannot attack in the game unless it has a general? I do not know if that is possible. Now, recruitable generals/governors can be an option and house rules can be set up, but actually making the game like that might be hardcoded.
    You cannot really make it impossible, what is possible though is that you can limit the number of FM's able to attack through traits like we do in the Roman Leadership System in RTR VII. That also has the advantage that it only works for the human player and therefore doesn't handicap the AI.

RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member
    My AAR: For Glory and the Republic!

Proud to be patronized by ybbon66

Would you recommend putting it in?

Maurits's Avatar ЯTR

That's entirely your decision. I know there are people who do not like it, I personally do for gameplay reasons. Since you want to base your mod on the RTR PE concept, I'd choose not to do it and leave the players free to decide which generals to use. You could of course give them ancillaries to use for roleplay, I think Extended Realism still uses such a system.

RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member
    My AAR: For Glory and the Republic!

Proud to be patronized by ybbon66

I will try to answer these, the best I can.

1. This is tough, because for this to be possible I would need someone who was interested enough in this mod to be able to customize each city on the battlemap. I know of one person who does this but I have yet to contact him, and I have no idea if he would be interested in doing this. Also, if this were to happen it would not be until later depending on the size of the task.

4. Now if you are saying an Army cannot attack in the game unless it has a general? I do not know if that is possible. Now, recruitable generals/governors can be an option and house rules can be set up, but actually making the game like that might be hardcoded.

5. I do not really know what you mean by this. If you are inquiring about showing the army strengths on city and army banners, I will probably make it like RTRVII, where you will need to use spies and reconnaissance to know the enemy's army.

I hope that answered your questions!

Thanks
    1.Great if you could make that happen. What about a celebration, make something out of it, when a city is concquered? Ads to atmosphere which is an important part of RTW

4. It is a wish from me but I guess imposssible to make happen. Houserules is the solution then If it's not cunning twist to limit the number of human attacks. Out there apart from vh/vh

5. I was a bit unclear here. I do not like to see number of units just by klicking on a city or stack, or a ship for that matter. It gives the human unneccessary advantages over the AI. Spying should solely be the spies job imo.

Thanks a lot for your thorough answers!
    Last edited by Tordenskjold; July 10, 2013 at 01:50 PM.
    Less is more

@Maurits, I will think about it haha
    @Tordenskjold thank you

The map is about 90% finished. It just needs a few more revisions and then we will assign rebels and factions to each region, along with making an AOR system.

Now, I have already added in webbirds units but most of the units are going to be from RTRPE. With that being said there are many units from other mods out there that would fit the RTRPE style well. So I have begun thinking of faction rosters based off RTRPE. I will start with the Greeks.

Current Roster:
    Hoplitai (Levy) - Levy Hoplites
    Hoplitai - Hoplites
    Epirote Phalangite - Will be added to Hellenic States faction
    Corinthian Hoplitai - Corinthian Hoplites, Corinth only
    Athinaioi Hoplitai - Athenian Hoplites, Athens only
    Hoplitai (Elite) - Armoured Hoplites
    Spartiates Hoplitai - Spartan Hoplites - Sparta only
    Peltastai - Peltasts
    Toxotes - Archers
    Thureophoroi
    Ippiko - Greek Light Cavalry
    Hetairoi (General's Cavalry)
    Prodromoi - Greek Skirmisher Cavalry
    Ballistas
    Scorpions

Possible Additions:
    Xystophoroi - I believe this unit was in RTR 6.0 but was removed. I will be adding it back in, as the Greeks did have some Heavy Cavalry
    Thorakitai - The evolved version of Thureophoroi. I will make it maybe a 5th tier barracks unit
    Athenian/Syracusan/Rhodian Marines - Elite Archer unit, maybe give them a spear or harpoon as a secondary weapon?
    Phalangites - Most Greeks went to Phalangite units by the Second Punic War. I need to find a way to make them recruitable without having them available early in the game. An idea is to have three tiers of them, Militia, Normal, and Elite to replace the Hoplite units as a reform.
    General's Bodyguard - If I am not mistaken, the Greek General's fought in a hoplite formation early in the 3rd century BC. I also believe RTR 6 had this unit. I will bring it back as the Early bodyguard

Hoplite Mania:
    People such as Dark Fenrir and Spirit of Rob have made many hoplite units. These units fit RTRPE and I will probably add a lot of them to cities such as:

Syracuse
    Massilia
    Byzantium
    Sinope
    Crete
    Cyprus
    Cyrene
    Bithynia
    Pergamum
    Eturia
    Magna Graecia
    Bosporan Kingdom
    Emporium

They will be available to the Greeks if they are able to capture the above regions, they will also be a rebel unit. I may allow them to be available to the Hellenic States faction.

Here are a few more units in which I am not sure I should add, maybe one of you could help me with the decision?

Iphicrataen Hoplites - Were they relevant enough at this time for them to be in?
    Ekdromoi - Relevant at this time?
    Perioeki Pikeman - Would be available in Sparta only

So there are the options for the Greek unit roster. The hoplites will fight in the overhand fashion and will probably get the shield wall ability if it works well. Later in the game Thorakitai and Phalangites will be available.

The cities that the Greeks will start with more than likely are:
    Sparta
    Athens
    Rhodes
    Syracuse
    Massilia
    Byzantium

Let me know what you think!

I look forward to see the result!
    Less is more

Some may have been wondering what happened to this idea? It never died. You see here on TWC I have 3 projects that I circulate (so I do not get tired of one). I have My Mundus Magnus mod which is now known as Rome: Total History. I have RTRPE II which I will be releasing v2.0 very soon, and I have this project which I AM CLOSE to naming the future series. BUT for now, I have decided to start developing the first part of this project: Philip and the campaign of his son Alexander. It will be called Rome Total Realism: Alexander or RTR:Alexander.

Yup, I know. Why does he start and stop so many things? Well, first remember I am only circulating three projects. There is no timeframe when it comes to making a mod, no due date. It's a hobby, and it is fun. Second, you can't put your nose to the grindstone without getting a bloody nose. I do that too often, I go 110% on a mod until I wear out and have to move on. Third is the current situation. RTH is on hold as I am no longer the leader. The leader is a professor at a University and progress is made when he is free. RTRPE 2 is just about complete in my mind. I had ideas to make it grand, but it's a classic, and my ideas can go to this project instead. So here we are, the project that needs and deserves attention.

Why Alexander?
    Heck, why not? There really is not a good mod out there spanning Philip and Alexanders timeframe, RTR is a household name, put two and two together and you get RTR:Alexander.

I am excited to start this crazy journey that I proposed in the OP a few months ago. Whoever is crazy enough to join me is welcome.

For future reference this thread will serve as the Universal Discussion/Idea/Update/Main thread for the whole mod series. I started it here, it will end here.

The Alexander portion of this project did not develop as much interest as I originally thought it would, and there is also a lack of resources.

However, I have made vast progress with an Imperial Campaign version and am looking forward to more. Currently there is an 0.4 BETA being tested and still under development but it is stable. Many things have been added and it looks great. If you want to help in any way just PM me. I am not giving files out publicly until I feel that a first full release is ready.

I think this will just be called the RTR Project. It is a project and it's RTR so there you go.
    Anyways, if anyone is following here is news.

I have been recruiting people to join this endeavor like crazy for the past week and have found a few. Once I release the first version, I'll list the members of the team. However 95% of those working with me are simply BETA testers and/or researchers. Many of them do not mod. So if you mod, like RTR and want to be a part of something, contact me.

As far as progress is concerned, I expect to release something in the near future. The plan is to make an announcement featuring a lot of previews to get attention and then shortly afterwords, the release itself. I am still keeping the meat of the project a secret from the public, but if you are interested, contact me and I can give you a link to the development thread.

Hope all is well with you and hope your RTR experience is a joyful one!

~ahowl11

A release is coming shortly. By the way, the RTR forum has been very quiet as of late. Hopefully the RTR Project can jolt this forum back to life.

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

Well, I can't always spam in every thread here
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

I just miss the activity that used to take place here with all the members of RTR VII

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

I guess that threy are all busy working on RTRII.

bobbyr's Avatar Semisalis

A release is coming shortly. By the way, the RTR forum has been very quiet as of late. Hopefully the RTR Project can jolt this forum back to life.
    That's awesome news!
    Will definitely play it!

Still like Rome 1 somewhat better than Rome 2. The whole feel and immersion of Rome 1 is still awesome 10 years later.

Rome 2 might be better in 6 months or so, when all 3 major mods are in an advanced state. DeI is still in beta, Magnar isn't finished at all and RTR II isn't even past alpha right now

Thank you for still modding Rome 1, will definitely play your new mod.

Thank you bobbyr, I hope this mod can get the forum up and running again

Can you give an approximate date when this beauty will be released?

It should be out before March. That's a safe prediction
    I'll have a preview thread up soon. I will add images and other stuff to it as the mod gets closer to release, but for now it will highlight the features.

I'm really looking forward to this, and also proud to be a part of it.

It should be out before March. That's a safe prediction
    I'll have a preview thread up soon. I will add images and other stuff to it as the mod gets closer to release, but for now it will highlight the features.
    Great to hear, really looking forward to it!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast