Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blast From The Past & The Future of RTR

Default Blast From The Past & The Future of RTR

Hello,

Let me begin with saying I had thought very long and very hard before starting this thread, but in the end it's worth it.

My Background to the Idea

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Back when I was in Middle School, I fell in love with the mod Rome Total Realism. I had enjoyed the vanilla game but the idea of realism and history had me infatuated with RTR. However, I was only 12 and in Middle School. I had no idea how to mod, and my computer didn't have internet. My internet time came when I was allowed on my parents' computer or when I was near a computer at school. During that time, I was on the RTR forum websites gazing in awe over the previews of 6.0 Gold. "Who were the Bactrians?" "The Egyptians were ruled by Greeks?" and "Wow, what a huge map!" were the main thoughts going through my head at that time.

When I was 13 I found a way to get RTR 6.0 on to my USB flashdrive and from there I was going to put it on my computer to play. Problem was, I had no idea what to do, and I got CTD after CTD. After moving on to other things (M2TW) I came back around to RTR when I was 16. Still with no internet I repeated the download to USB procedure and also printed off Installation instructions. Alas, RTR was installed and playable! Since then I have played off and on, and in doing so I began to think of new ideas.

I joined TWC back in the Summer of 2011, and got caught up in the world of modding. I have been stuck ever since. I have had failure and success but I believe that I am capable of making something really cool for the RTR community.

My Question to current RTR members and Alumni
    Is RTRVII the stopping point for the RTW engine? If not please let me know what is planned because I would like to contribute. If it is the stopping point, I humbly ask if I may continue it. Whether or not you would recognize my mod proposal as an official or unofficial RTR project, I would love support from those who have been with RTR the longest. I want this to be a part of if not a continuation of the RTR family, and if I could get support from the RTR community, it would fuel my desire to complete this project.

My Proposal to the RTR Community
    Okay so I have done some research, and it is obvious that the RTR series and its' mods have focused on the Roman Republic from 280 BC to about 14 AD. Nothing wrong with that, it's my favorite time period of history. However I want to expand that time frame into sectional mods and campaigns to get a more in-depth look at what the world was like in this time frame. Not only that, but from 340 BC to 280 BC, and 30 BC to 117 BC are not represented well by mods, when there is nothing really stopping anyone from doing so.

So what I am aiming to do is create a series of mods that would cover the time from Alexander to Trajan. Yes, this task seems daunting, seeing how it would cover almost 500 years in history, but when divided into a series of mods, it really does not seem that bad to me. After some brainstorming I have come to this list of mods that would go into the series:

1. 280 BC - 146 BC spans the time from Pyrrhus invading Italy, and the formation of the Hellenistic World to the Destruction of Carthage and Corinth, thus solidifying Rome's control in Africa and Greece. This could probably be first in the series because it will follow the traditional RTR mods and it's a time frame that people are familiar with. Plus, I have already begun working on it.

2. 340 BC - 280 BC could essentially be split into two parts, The Campaign of Alexander and the Wars of the Diadochi. This mod would also cover the Rise of Rome as a regional power.

3. 145 BC - 30 BC covers the Late Republican Era, Marius' Reforms, the Civil Wars of Great Generals and the end of an era. Truly an epic time that is not fairly represented by RTW mods except the FRRE team, kudos to them!

4. 27 BC - 117 AD The final expansion of the Empire and the time where it was most prosperous.

Each mod will be unique in it's own way.

This seems daunting, but consider the fact that the RTW modding world has so many resources available to us. As long as there is a possibility to piece together what we want, it is capable. I am not going to be making this mod from scratch, but instead use what the community has given me, of course with permission.

So what does blast from the past mean? To me I love RTRPE, it is beautiful and I love their units. Any other units put in these mods will need to resemble the RTRPE look and feel. It could also mean that the original RTR7 team fell apart, and I am going to attempt to bring the same feel back.

What happended to RTRPE2? The idea was combined with my Mundus Magnus 7.0 idea and evolved into this.

Yes, I am aware that the release of Rome 2 is near and that maybe there will not be very much interest in this mod, but RTW is probably the most popular Total War Game, and people will always play it. Even if only a handful support this mod and follow it, I will still push on, because I rather have a close knot group of people with me in this experience than try to make this a worldwide known thing. I am not competing with CA, I am trying to create something that I will enjoy and I would like to share my experience with others.

Conclusion
    Please, if this thread is in the wrong place feel free to move it. I just wanted the RTR community to see my proposal. Also, please give feedback. I really want to know if I have any support going forward in this. Even encouragement will suffice. Currently it is just me and a few others who help me out. There is no team, but I am not against having a small group of people contributing, as long as they have a passion for RTR. If this is recognized to be an official continuation of RTR, I believe RTR8 is a great name for this endeavor. If it is not recognized then I would name this Mundus Magnus: Total Realism, as the Mundus Magnus Map will serve as the base of these mods. I have already PMed someone about this, but I would like to have a forum so I can be organized with everything, and if I cannot have one right away, I would like to know what it takes to get one on the RTR hosted forum.
    If you have read this far, I commend you. I assure you, it's worth your time if you love RTR.

regards,

~ahowl11

Maurits's Avatar ЯTR

Default Re: Blast From The Past & The Future of RTR

This is my personal opinion and does in no way represent the team's stand in this, which is unknown to me at the moment.

Bravo for this idea! I think it is a very ambitious plan, which certainly contains some interesting elements. Let's make something clear first, though. Building a mod, even if assembling it from various parts, is a very big endeavour. It should not be taken lightly. Do you have any modding skills? If you're not an all-round modder, you will need to assemble a team to do this.

As for the current RTR team, while we have had a period of less activity this year there is still work being continued behind the screens and new proposals and ideas to improve our current VII series are being made. You would not be able to use the brand name Rome Total Realism 8. That would be reserved for a continuation of the official team. You could gain (independent) submod status, though, once you have created a releasable incarnation of your mod. My suggestion would be to create an information thread in the RTR Submods forum where you can post previews and information as you start working on this. Then you may attract further support and create a team to work with. If you want to continue this, there will be success. RTRPE was a community project which has been adopted in the RTR family

That's just my personal vision on how to approach such a project. I wonder, do you already have a mod of sorts or is this still in the concept-phase?

RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member
    My AAR: For Glory and the Republic!

Proud to be patronized by ybbon66

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

A very well thought opening post I agree with Maurits that it would be worth doing this, at least start off with one mod and then see how long it takes and how popular it would be. I think I speak for the majority of the RTR community when I say that TWR II has some horrible historical mistakes resp. lack of depth, so an interest in your mod woudl surely be there. Maybe the RTR team can support you in this as well, but I'm not sure if their plans are to just improve RTR VII, to do another RTR or to plan a RTR mod for TWR II. I guess it also depends on the moddability of the new game.

In any way, I also appreciate your idea and could offer my services for historical research My qualifications can be seen in the ''Historical discussions'' thread
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I am impressed by your proposal, all of which sound great. Perhaps RTR VII regional map idea might also serve you in some of your concept- perhaps Philip II rise rather than his sons campaigns? Just a thought. Good luck and Eutykhia bless your endeavours

Thank you for the support, I know that I will not be able to do this alone, and having support and help from the RTR community could make a huge difference in where this mod goes! I am also glad to know that I won't have to use RTR 8, it's good to know that the RTRVII team still has something going on.

I might stick to RTRPE 2 since this project is based on it but I have thought of Mundus Magnus Total Realism as well, maybe someone has another idea? I'll let the community help me decide what to call this project since I want the community to be a part of it! There will not be many secrets, but I will need to stay firm with what I want. For instance, if a person really wants to see a certain faction or unit in this project I will consider it, but it would need to fit the mod and be relevant with the era that is being worked on.

Yes, I have some modding ability. I have some good experience with coding when it comes to adding in units, and if I need to add in other things I can follow instructions well. I have a little mapping ability and a little ability with textures but not anything super special. I'm good at putting things together and implementing things, I have never made anything from scratch. I would say that I am best at researching. I use references from other forums and sites, and I like to hunt things down. I am also good at keeping files organized and keeping things in order as well as public relations, previews and coordinating the progress of the mod.

I am not expecting a huge team to help me out, and I am not going to go on a huge recruiting spree to get people to do my work for me, but I admit there are areas that I would really appreciate someone's service. Editing and creating units is one of those. I do not expect that there should be a lot of new units and I do have Maraxus and/or Rarity to go to for help. However, if someone within the RTR community wants to assist, they are more than welcome. Scripts are another thing, as well as 2d art for faction symbols and banners. Some historians would be nice as well, thank you Mausolos of Caria for being here!

I actually do have a pre-beta right now. Here is what I have included:

Mundus Magnus Map - A customized version. This map has had it's dimensions increased to provide more space in between cities, I also have researched each settlement for the map. Below, I have included the list of settlements that you will see in the first release. These are subject to change through testing and research. Also, the goal is to get the map as geographically accurate as possible, mountain passes, landmarks, rivers, lakes, roads, settlement locations, are all important to this mod. Also, ports will represent coastal cities, something I plan on incorporating somehow down the line so you can know what city the port is representing. Thanks can go to Anarchon and Philadelphos. Also, the look of the map is pretty awesome. I am using RS2 water textures for the sea, and M2TW textures for the land. However, I thinking I will change the land textures to the ones Ancient Empires Elysium (AEE) has. Also, RTRVII settlement and port models are being used.

Settlement List
    -ITALY 11
    Rome
    Capua
    Arretium
    Malventum
    Bononia
    Tarentum
    Croton
    Rhegium
    Genua
    Patavium
    Mediolanium

-SICILY 5
    Messana
    Syracuse
    Agrigentum
    Panormus
    Lilybaeum

-SARDINIA & CORSICA 2
    Caralis
    Aleria

-GREECE 17
    Sparta
    Corinth
    Sicyon
    Athens
    Thermon
    Chalcis
    Ambracia
    Larissa
    Apollonia
    Thessalonica
    Pella
    Bylazora
    Dyrrhacium
    Phillipi
    Lysimachea
    Byzantium
    Kydonia

-NORTH AFRICA 13
    Carthage
    Utica
    Hippo
    Hadrumentum
    Leptis
    Cirta
    Siga
    Iol
    Tingi
    Volubilis
    Garama
    Capsa
    Dimmidi

-EGYPT 8
    Alexandria
    Pelusium
    Memphis
    Ptolemais
    Thebes
    Cyrene
    Ammonium
    Meroë

-LEVANT 9
    Jerusalem
    Tyre
    Sidon
    Damascus
    Palmyra
    Antioch
    Edessa
    Dura Europus
    Salamis

-ASIA MINOR 18
    Nicomedia
    Pergamum
    Sardis
    Ephesus
    Smyrna
    Halicarnassus
    Sinope
    Ancyra
    Amasia
    Amisus
    Mazaka
    Tarsus
    Trapezus
    Xanthus
    Iconium
    Side
    Pessinus
    Rhodes

-ARMENIA 6
    Armavir
    Van
    Carcathiocerta
    Mtskheta
    Phasis
    Gabala

-Arabia 6
    Bostra
    Petra
    Yathrib
    Gerrha
    Ma'rib
    Omana

-IBERIA 13
    Gades
    Corduba
    Mastia
    Toletum
    Saguntum
    Tarraco
    Bolskan
    Numantia
    Olisipo
    Asturica
    Aracillum
    Ebusus
    Emporium

-GAUL 15
    Massalia
    Narbo
    Tolosa
    Burdigala
    Vienna
    Gergovia
    Alesia
    Bibracte
    Durocortorum
    Lemonum
    Condate
    Cenabum
    Vesontio
    Bagacum
    Aventicum

-BRITANNIA 5
    Verlamion
    Isca
    Eboracum
    Alauna
    Tara

-GERMANIA 12
    Treveri
    Atuatuca
    Batavorum
    Mattium
    Tulisurgium
    Argelia
    Leuphana
    Mariones
    Treva
    Casurgis
    Ascaucalis
    Calisia

-NORICUM 3
    Cambodunum
    Iuvavum
    Noreia

-PANNONIA 2
    Aquincum
    Sirmium

-ILLYRIA 4
    Scodra
    Siscia
    Salonae
    Aquiliea

-THRACE 12
    Seutopolis
    Naissus
    Singidunum
    Sarmizegetusa
    Istrus
    Odessus
    Tomi
    Helis
    Ziridava
    Carrodunum
    Buridava
    Petrodava

-STEPPE 13
    Tyras
    Olbia
    Neapolis Scythica
    Chersonesus
    Panticapaeum
    Phanagoria
    Tanais
    Gelonus
    Siracena
    Davaba
    Chorasmia
    Cyropolis
    Kashgar

-PERSIA 22
    Babylon
    Seleucia
    Nisibis
    Arbela
    Gazaca
    Ecbatana
    Rhagae
    Aspadana
    Susa
    Istakhr
    Harmosia
    Pura
    Alexandropolis
    Hekatompylos
    Zadracarta
    Merv
    Maracanda
    Bactra
    Prophtasia
    Herat
    Alexandria Eschate
    Alexandria on the Caucasus

-INDIA 2
    Taxila
    Pattala

-TERRA INCOGNITA 1
    Themiskyra

RS2 Battle Environments - They look amazing. It is kind of weird, but I use the vanilla descr_battle_map_lighting_and_fog_control.txt file and in my opinion it makes the units look amazing, instead of dull which we see in some mods.

Diadochi Total War Wooden Walls - These walls are tier three, Epic Stone Walls have been removed. These walls allow defenders to put troops on top of the wall for defense as well as the attackers being able to use siege engines when storming the city.

Minimods - Projectiles sticking on ground mod and realistic movement mod are also included.

Now I plan on adding a lot more, but I will save that for another post.

I am in need of some files though, and I was wondering if anyone in the RTR community could provide them. I am wanting to incorporate aspects from some old submods for RTR Gold and PE but some of these have no links available. If anyone can provide the following mods, I would be truly greatful!

-Ancient Empires (The mod before AEE,it has some neat stuff from what I have read but I cannot seem to find a valid download link. My only hope is that someone has it on their Hard Drive or has stored it somewhere)

-Roman Faction Mod 2 by SnakeIV (Has some really cool looking units and other things)

-RTRPE Custom Faction Mod v.13 by peterofnj (I have v.12 but v.13 had some nice Macedonian skins that could be used)

-Hic Sunt Dracones Enhancement Mod by JoeyJubb (Some simple but essential enhancements in here)

-Heirs of Atlantis II by Arbaces (Not that big of a need since other mods have all of this mods units, but good to have nonetheless)

-Mauryan Expansion mod by vikrant (Has some cool Indian units that could be used)

-A New Add-on for RTR Platinum v1.9 (mod switch version) by Iulianus Apostata (This has some interesting ideas)

And if anyone on here as old RTR mods, files or information that can help let me know! I am extremely interested in the old RTR versions. I have 5.4, 6.0, 6.1, 6.2, 6.3 and 6.0 Gold and there are some neat units that in there that could be of use. Also, even if you have some private mods or files that you would like to see in this mod, please bring them forward. This is a community mod, contributions are more than welcome!

Also, if need be you can move this thread to the RTRPE submods forum if you want to. I can use it as the thread to preview everything. Or you could leave it in this forum as well, it doesn't matter.

I also encourage any of you who know of RTR fans and in that case old RTRPE fans to check this project out. Could someone give me a list of current and former RTR members who have contributed to RTR in the past? Even those who regulated on the RTR forums back in the day. Even if they are not active, I would like to try and contact them, to get their support and at least let them know about this. Who knows maybe they would like to contribute to the cause!
    Last edited by ahowl11; June 26, 2013 at 09:16 PM.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Too bad I don't have anymore old files, even my own mods. More since filefront is inacessible from my country. In any case good luck with your project.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Thanks, LestaT. I mean... Adam. Haha.
    Would you mind if I borrowed any ideas from your Imperator mod?

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

No problem. All my works is public as long as far as RTR related goes. All the stuff are basically RTR (since 5.1 version) except where stated so if you're making mods base on RTR and hosted under RTR banner then there should not be an issue.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Thanks I appreciate that, it will be under the RTR banner for sure.

Caligula Caesar's Avatar Horse Lord

Nice proposal My advice would be to try and break it down into achievable smaller goals, and build up from there. But there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to make a great mod. I like your list of settlements, by the way Oh, and regarding Indian units, Fortuna Orbis has some nice ones
    RTR-VII Team Leader and Leader of Fortuna Orbis, an RTR Submod

"History has only one concern and aim, and that is the useful; which again has one single source, and that is truth." -Lucian of Samosata

Fortuna Orbis Beta is released!

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

As I see it, it would be nice to make sth different. RTRVII is sth different and the main reason, apart from 100 others, for me, is the focused campaign map.

So for example, a focused campaign map, to the eastern part of the map this time, would be sth different and new.

And ofc the starting date is another issue. 280-270 B.C. is so much used that I am starting to believe it's the starting point of the Earth itself

There are so many possibilities that it gets weird that so many mods have the same map and start at 270-280 B.C.

I tell all that as a big fan and admirer of RTW mods and modders.

That's some very cool thoughts. And to be honest, we have been playing with the same thoughts internally a long time ago. Having different start dates within the same mod always has been pure awesomeness imo.

If I may give you some advice on this, ideas I had expressed in the developers forum back when we were discussing it (but due to time restraints - especially regarding balancing - didn't complete):

A. One option would be to enable "provincial campaigns". What a provincial campaign does, is to allow you to have multiple starting scenario's (and scripts) using the same mod, which is basically what you want, right? Think of it as how the RTW prologue existed alongside the main campaign, but then with a long list of different campaigns of whatever scope you want. This means that what you want to do, could be a fairly simple addon to RTR VII as it is now. Enabling these campaigns however might prove to be a challenge on its own as I have removed the menu option for it altogether (it's not just invisible, it's gone). So when trying to figure out how to get these sub-campaigns going, this is an extra complicating factor. When you do get it working however, it's very easy to use. (There is some good information on this on the TWC wiki, I tried to look it up for yuo quickly, but couldn't find it yet).

B. Another option which might be more work than the above but allows for pretty much infinite possibilities and freedom, is to make RTR VII non-modfodlered. If you overwrite the original game files with RTR VII files, RTR VII would be the "vanilla" and you can make use of the mod folder system to have different campaigns come with their own modfolder. (Make sure to keep track of all files you change when doing this, so you only have to include these in the installer rather than also a load of vanilla files). This basically how RS2 has been setup too. Now by using this method, you have all freedom to change the availability of units, buildings or traits per campaign. And you can even change entire factions if you want. While you still make use of many things of your base modification of RTR VII (the non-modfoldered one), which saves up on a lot of HD space and download size. You also have more flexibility to release campaigns as seperate entities rather than in one huge campaign pack, because all you have to do is add the modfolder to your game and you have another campaign.

C. The most straight forward option for you is probably to modify the RTR VII modfolder to suit your needs, as I think you were suggesting in your own post. This however too comes with the difficulty that at some point you will have to go to renaming your modfolder if you don't want people to have a full copy of RTW for each of your campaigns and still want them to be able to have more than one campaign installed at the time. And renaming the modfolder is less easy than it sounds... Not to mention that then each "campaign" has it's own modfodler with a lot of duplicate files.

Both of option A and B take a lot of work (the first because of complexity getting it to work and the later of both complexity and simply a massive time investment). And then you haven't even created your first campaign on said setup either. With option C you can dive straight into the campaign development, but will run into issues further down the road when the number of campaigns you create starts to increase. Out of these options, I think option B is your best bet in the long run. Especially if you consider that I made the original launcher for RS2 (which they worked on a lot after I handed it over), which if they allow you to use it, could be adapted to perfectly suit your needs for campaign management.

That should give you some food for thought

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula Caesar View Post
    Nice proposal My advice would be to try and break it down into achievable smaller goals, and build up from there.
    Quoted this for importance. This is one of the reasons the original RTR 7 team fell apart and why the new RTR 7 (VII) started out with TIC, then FoE and only then the full campaign.

Okay, the plan is to release the main Imperial Campaign mod based on the Mundus Magnus Map and 280 BC - 14 AD first. Then I would get into all the other ideas. My reasoning is that I would use it as a base for all the other mods.

@Pat89
    I am very much so interested in option 'B' because it does make a lot of sense. However, I would use RTRPE as a base instead of VII. However, it would be easier for me to pull the trigger on that option if someone was willing to do it. If it is as hard as you say it is, it will be extremely difficult for me to do, and would take a lot of time away from other areas of the mod. I am interested in Provincial Campaigns as well. I already know of a few I would like to include for the first mod.
    So you believe that using RTRPE as my 'vanilla' could essentially make everything a lot easier for me in the long run? Because if I decide to do that, that eliminates at least three fourths of the units I need to add, faction symbols and models/textures among other things. I guess I am hesitant because I don't know how I would incorporate this new map in, especially with an already existing AOR system etc. I feel more comfortable changing the mod folder I have now labled as 'MM', incorporating the RTRPE files. However you make a great point and I would like to pursue it, I would just need someone who was trustworthy to incorporate that feature.

In other news, Anarchon has given me a launchable campaign map, and in the same day Philadelphos has given me his Rome Total History Mod (RTH) (which I am supposed to release to the public!) that in my opinion will have the best map in RTW modding, and that is saying a lot considering there are many great maps out there!
    I have just sent the map files of RTH to Anarchon for him to implement into the map we are already using. Also we are testing and rebalancing the map, some areas are way too crowded while there are other areas where a settlement is needed.
    For example:
    I totally forgot about Ariminum
    Dyrrachium, Apollonia and Scodra were right on top of each other. Dyrrachium will be replaced with Ariminum.
    Istrus, Tomi, and Odessus are also very close. Istrus will be replaced with Heraclea Pontica.

I now will provide some eye candy.

This first picture is of the current map_regions file. My goal is to have the map balanced and focused towards the central while also being historically accurate. As mentioned above some editing is needed. The dimensions are 510x312

This next image is the map_heights file from RTH. I am looking to incorporate this into the current map. Notice the coastlines, major rivers and all of the islands.

Again, if any of you have access to old files of RTR that were unused, never released, private mods, mods that are not at TWC, and all of the submods that I mentioned above, please contact me! I cannot stress enough the importance that those could possibly bring. I would like to have as many options as I can.

EDIT: After some discussion, we have decided to take the RTH map by Philadelphos and expand it's dimensions to include all of the settlements and regions. This would save a lot of work because the original MM map is very inaccurate in many places.

Yes, I think it makes it a lot easier in the long run. If you for example look at the strat map settlement models: if you change those in the "vanilla" mod, then these models will be used by every "campaign mod" by default. Just as how many mods make use of the vanilla settlement models. The same principle applies for basically all models, animations, textures and even a lot of text files. If you modfolder for example does not contain a file to specify the lighting, it will use the "vanilla" file. So when you at some point have 5 different scenarios and want to change the lighting, all you have to do is to mod the vanilla file and it will be applied to all your campaigns automatically. If you place all your unit textures inside vanilla, then when you retexture an existing unit, this skin will automatically be applied to all of your campaigns. Yet if you want to have a campaign with different lighting settings than all your other campaigns, all you have to do it put a modified lighting file inside your modfolder, which will then be used instead of your vanilla one. Maybe a bit weird example as I wouldn't know why you would want different lighting settings per scenario, but I hope you get the point

I exaggerated a bit on the difficulty of doing this. But the intention of that was to make you aware that it might cause you quite a bit of headache if you underestimate the task. It's the tiny things that make it difficult. As example: if there is a reference in the modfoldered RTRPE to a unit model in DMB, which says "..\RTRPE\Data\unit_models\triarii.cas", then if you move this DMB file outside of the modfolder into the vanilla data folder, it will never be able to find the model because it's referring specifically to the RTRPE modfolder. This means you have to manually check every file to make sure all external file paths are correct. That's a lot of work and not really that difficult, but you should be aware of it and not miss a single line, or you will get crashes. This same annoyance applies if you rename a modfolder btw without changing all file paths. And that's just one example of what can go wrong...

Also, since AOR is regulated by hidden_resources and hidden resources are defined in a map file, I think you could even change the AORs when using the provincial campaigns. Of course there will always be a limit of 64 (I think) HRs in EDB. But if you make a clever coding system, you can identify all 200 regions seperately with less HRs (like if you have HR A and HR B, region 1 can be identified if it has neither A or B, region 2 if it has both A and B, region 3 if it has A but not B and region 4 if it has B but not A, so with 2 HRs you can label 4 provinces). That way you can define what units, buildings, bonusses and everything else EDB related from province to province. Just throwing this out there in case you weren't aware.

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

Very impressive. The map looks good and the settlement list is well researched, also you got a decent balance between historical accuracy and well, balance, campaign wise. Just one little request, because RTW, every mod and TWR II does this mistake (at least in my opinion it is a mistake) On Crete, if this is still possible, could you replace Kydonia with Gortyn? You'll find why here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...enistic-period

In short, Gortyn was the most powerful polis on Crete between the age of Alexander and the wars against Rome (70-67 BC). Its greatest rival was Knossos, the age old residence of King Minos, which returned to its old strength during this age. Later, the Romans made Gortyn the capital of the province Creta et Cyrene as well. Kydonia was only a second-rank-power, though it also took parts in a number of the Cretan wars.
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

@Pat89

Thank you for the help, I think I could manage to do that.
    I would need an example of the AOR to successfully implement that though, like some guidelines to follow.

@Mausolos, good Idea! I will make sure it happens. The Settlement list has changed somewhat. When we are finished with the map, I will provide a list of changes.

Can't sleep tonight, so I thought I would post something really quickly.

I've done some research for unit rosters for a few factions and here is what I have found:

For a Greek faction, their main troops recruitable after a certain building level:
    Hoplites
    Thureophoroi
    Thorakitai
    Phalangites
    Peltasts
    Xystophoroi

Then there is the common AOR in Greece:
    Slingers
    Skirmishers
    Archers
    Greek Irregulars (Doryphoroi)
    Light Cavalry

Then the Unique AOR for the Greek faction only:
    Spartan Hoplites
    Athenian Hoplites
    Corinthian Hoplites

For Macedon:
    Leukaspides
    Chalkaspides
    Peltasts (Apparently the same as Greek Thureophoroi)
    Hypaspists
    Agema Hypaspists
    Prodromoi
    Hetairoi
    Asthetairoi

AOR:
    Deuteroi
    Pezhetairoi

I would really appreciate it if I could get some help on how each unit should be represented when it comes to recruitment. Especially with the Greek and Hellenic factions. It seems like most of their troops were mercenaries, so that's why I made Pezhetairoi an AOR unit. As you can tell, I am not too sure about the above lists, but they all existed, I know that. I just want to represent how they were recruited correctly.

Ill put something together for the AOR thing, im on my phone now so cant really go in depth to it.

Regarding Greek units, just look at RTR VII and read some unit descriptions. Theres a lot of info to be found.

To get back on the resources... With only 10 different hidden_resources you can create 210 different combinations of 4.

So for the following list:

1. A
    2. B
    3. C
    4. D
    5. E
    6. F
    7. G
    8. H
    9. I
    10. J

You can create these unique combinations:
    (This can possibly be a lot more efficient, but 10 HRs isn't that much since you effectively dont need any other HRs anymore either and combinations of 4 is easier to code and works better in EDB)

List:

1 . ABCD
    2 . ABCE
    3 . ABCF
    4 . ABCG
    5 . ABCH
    6 . ABCI
    7 . ABCJ
    8 . ABDE
    9 . ABDF
    10 . ABDG
    11 . ABDH
    12 . ABDI
    13 . ABDJ
    14 . ABEF
    15 . ABEG
    16 . ABEH
    17 . ABEI
    18 . ABEJ
    19 . ABFG
    20 . ABFH
    21 . ABFI
    22 . ABFJ
    23 . ABGH
    24 . ABGI
    25 . ABGJ
    26 . ABHI
    27 . ABHJ
    28 . ABIJ
    29 . ACDE
    30 . ACDF
    31 . ACDG
    32 . ACDH
    33 . ACDI
    34 . ACDJ
    35 . ACEF
    36 . ACEG
    37 . ACEH
    38 . ACEI
    39 . ACEJ
    40 . ACFG
    41 . ACFH
    42 . ACFI
    43 . ACFJ
    44 . ACGH
    45 . ACGI
    46 . ACGJ
    47 . ACHI
    48 . ACHJ
    49 . ACIJ
    50 . ADEF
    51 . ADEG
    52 . ADEH
    53 . ADEI
    54 . ADEJ
    55 . ADFG
    56 . ADFH
    57 . ADFI
    58 . ADFJ
    59 . ADGH
    60 . ADGI
    61 . ADGJ
    62 . ADHI
    63 . ADHJ
    64 . ADIJ
    65 . AEFG
    66 . AEFH
    67 . AEFI
    68 . AEFJ
    69 . AEGH
    70 . AEGI
    71 . AEGJ
    72 . AEHI
    73 . AEHJ
    74 . AEIJ
    75 . AFGH
    76 . AFGI
    77 . AFGJ
    78 . AFHI
    79 . AFHJ
    80 . AFIJ
    81 . AGHI
    82 . AGHJ
    83 . AGIJ
    84 . AHIJ
    85 . BCDE
    86 . BCDF
    87 . BCDG
    88 . BCDH
    89 . BCDI
    90 . BCDJ
    91 . BCEF
    92 . BCEG
    93 . BCEH
    94 . BCEI
    95 . BCEJ
    96 . BCFG
    97 . BCFH
    98 . BCFI
    99 . BCFJ
    100 . BCGH
    101 . BCGI
    102 . BCGJ
    103 . BCHI
    104 . BCHJ
    105 . BCIJ
    106 . BDEF
    107 . BDEG
    108 . BDEH
    109 . BDEI
    110 . BDEJ
    111 . BDFG
    112 . BDFH
    113 . BDFI
    114 . BDFJ
    115 . BDGH
    116 . BDGI
    117 . BDGJ
    118 . BDHI
    119 . BDHJ
    120 . BDIJ
    121 . BEFG
    122 . BEFH
    123 . BEFI
    124 . BEFJ
    125 . BEGH
    126 . BEGI
    127 . BEGJ
    128 . BEHI
    129 . BEHJ
    130 . BEIJ
    131 . BFGH
    132 . BFGI
    133 . BFGJ
    134 . BFHI
    135 . BFHJ
    136 . BFIJ
    137 . BGHI
    138 . BGHJ
    139 . BGIJ
    140 . BHIJ
    141 . CDEF
    142 . CDEG
    143 . CDEH
    144 . CDEI
    145 . CDEJ
    146 . CDFG
    147 . CDFH
    148 . CDFI
    149 . CDFJ
    150 . CDGH
    151 . CDGI
    152 . CDGJ
    153 . CDHI
    154 . CDHJ
    155 . CDIJ
    156 . CEFG
    157 . CEFH
    158 . CEFI
    159 . CEFJ
    160 . CEGH
    161 . CEGI
    162 . CEGJ
    163 . CEHI
    164 . CEHJ
    165 . CEIJ
    166 . CFGH
    167 . CFGI
    168 . CFGJ
    169 . CFHI
    170 . CFHJ
    171 . CFIJ
    172 . CGHI
    173 . CGHJ
    174 . CGIJ
    175 . CHIJ
    176 . DEFG
    177 . DEFH
    178 . DEFI
    179 . DEFJ
    180 . DEGH
    181 . DEGI
    182 . DEGJ
    183 . DEHI
    184 . DEHJ
    185 . DEIJ
    186 . DFGH
    187 . DFGI
    188 . DFGJ
    189 . DFHI
    190 . DFHJ
    191 . DFIJ
    192 . DGHI
    193 . DGHJ
    194 . DGIJ
    195 . DHIJ
    196 . EFGH
    197 . EFGI
    198 . EFGJ
    199 . EFHI
    200 . EFHJ
    201 . EFIJ
    202 . EGHI
    203 . EGHJ
    204 . EGIJ
    205 . EHIJ
    206 . FGHI
    207 . FGHJ
    208 . FGIJ
    209 . FHIJ
    210 . GHIJ

Now in EDB that would work out to for example (very simple example):

Rome = ABCD
    Sparta = ABCE

Code:
    building barracks
    {
        levels barracks_1 barracks_2 barracks_3
        {
            barracks_1 requires factions { all, }
            {
                capability
                {
                    ; Rome
                    law_bonus bonus 1                     requires factions { all, } and hidden_resource A and hidden_resource B and hidden_resource C and hidden_resource D
                    recruit "fac rome funditores"  0      requires factions { all, } and hidden_resource A and hidden_resource B and hidden_resource C and hidden_resource D

; Sparta
                    law_bonus bonus 1                     requires factions { all, } and hidden_resource A and  hidden_resource B and hidden_resource C and hidden_resource E
                    recruit "fac rome funditores"  0      requires factions {  all, } and hidden_resource A and hidden_resource B and hidden_resource C  and hidden_resource E
                }
                construction 1
                cost 400
                settlement_min village
                upgrades
                {
                    ; Rome
                    barracks_2 requires factions { all, } and hidden_resource A and hidden_resource B and hidden_resource C and hidden_resource D

; Sparta
                    barracks_3 requires factions { all, } and hidden_resource A and  hidden_resource B and hidden_resource C and hidden_resource E
                }
            }

barracks_2 requires factions { all, }
            {
                [...]
            }

barracks_3 requires factions { all, }
            {
                [...]
            }
        }
    }
    Got to run now, but I hope you get the point?

Yup, got it! Thanks!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast