Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your favourite settlement re-names

Default Your favourite settlement re-names

So in my Arnor campaign I'm making my way through Mordor and after taking the Orc Encampment and Cirith Ungol, I decided to re-name Cirith Ungol to Fornost Gorthad (which is what the Barrow downs used to be called I think?) but couldnt think of a name for the Orc Encampment. But this got me thinking whats your favourite renames of conquered terrority?Do you rename them after the victorious General? AragonstownAn iconic but long lost city? GondolinOr a random name? NewBastion

Mank's Avatar Dormouse of Hader

Default Re: Your favourite settlement re-names

My best "fail" story related to this:

One of the last High Elf campaigns I played I totally nerded out and tried to look up the elven name for every region/ settlement I conqured so I could re-name it to something elvish. Gosh did that take a long time...plus the names just ended up looking silly because I couldn't add the appropriate special features.

Ugh, never doing that again...if I ever personally re-name settlements again I'll be like Alexander the Great and just call everything after my name. The whole of Middle-Earth will be called "Mankville"

As Gondor, once I've taken Minas Ithil and made things fairly secure in Ithillian, I like to move the capitol to (west) Osgiliath and rename Minas Tirith to Minas Anor. The high days have come again . Once inside Mordor, I rename the orc settlements to whatever their geography is called. I can't think of any examples; whatever the right-click on the ground says.As Elves (either one) I re-name Moria when I take it. Silvans call it Hadhodrond and the Noldor call it Casarrondo. Additionally, I'll rename "Goblin Fort" to "Mountain Fort", "Goblin Town" to "High Pass" and whatever the OotMM settlement northwest of GT is to "High Outpost".I have fun looking around Tolkien Gateway looking for names to rename faction-specific settlements.

I renamed Orc Encampment in Mordor to "Detroit". I don't think orcs want to live there anymore.

The Forgotten's Avatar Domesticus

I was playing a Dwarven campaign and had finally eradicated the Orcs from the north. Happy to settle down a bit I began to rename all the settlements in the misty mountains and came up with several. But I never found one for Goblin Town. So I looked on line and eventually came up with Hadad-Dum, which means Severh Hall. Funnily enough by the end I had 7 great cities in my empire and Goblin Town/Hadad-Dum surpassed all in riches an glory. :haha:

Many thanks to the good folks down at the Graphics Workshop for the sig.

Once while playing as Isengard on VH/VH I struggled against Arnor for a VERY long time, but then I captured Hobbiton in a massive battle. Because I knew I wouldn't be able to hold it (due to its lack of walls and such), I just named it "HOBBITS SUCK" and abandoned it.
    Tegyvuoja Lietuva!

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you..."

Curious... How does one rename settlements while in game...?

Dude with the Food's Avatar Campidoctor

Bring up the city tab and click on the name at the top then just backspace the old one.

I usually rename Limlight Fort to Ost-en-Limlidh. It means city-by?-Limlidh (a sindarization of Limlight )
    I also rename Thorin's/Beorn's Halls to whatever.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude with the Food View Post
    Bring up the city tab and click on the name at the top then just backspace the old one.

I usually rename Limlight Fort to Ost-en-Limlidh. It means city-by?-Limlidh (a sindarization of Limlight )
    I also rename Thorin's/Beorn's Halls to whatever.
    Whatever seems like a strange name for a city, but to each his own.

Really though, thanks

riuk881's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Jung was right View Post
    I renamed Orc Encampment in Mordor to "Detroit". I don't think orcs want to live there anymore.
    boo
    It's not a question of where it grips it. It's a simple questions of weight ratios; a five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

I wonder, does the "in game" name remains the same? I mean, if I rename BREE in let's say BRUU, what will be console name?
    Furthermore, how it works in this regard with "automatically" renamed settlements?

I should have posted these questions on the official thread, but as we are speaking of this matter here I wish to ask them directly, would be useful to know the answer for a project of mine.

thanks
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Console name changes as well. So if you change Hobbiton to The Hicks and want to add population you would use: add_population "The Hicks" 1234

Not sure if this affects scripts though. For example if you change the name of Aunnuminas to Bob's Place, would this cause problems when it checks for the right regions to reforge Arnor? Perhaps it depends on whether it checks region or settlement names

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

thanks, it is clearer now

some rep for you
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Dude with the Food's Avatar Campidoctor

I think scripts use regions rather than cities/castles for example Trollshaws rather than Imladris but I may be mistaken.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.

I think scripts use regions rather than cities/castles for example Trollshaws rather than Imladris but I may be mistaken.
    No, you're correct. That's why renaming settlements will never interfere with scripts.

Quote Originally Posted by riuk881 View Post
    boo
    My apologies. I'll rename it to "Cleveland".

When I captured Minas Tirith in my Mordor campaign with the Witch-King, I thought it fitting to rename it to Minas Dûr, which at least in my reasoning means "The Dark City" or "The Dark Tower". I may still have Barad-dûr, but hey, gotta rename Minas Tirith to something evil, right?

DrBeast's Avatar Biarchus

In my Mordor campaign, Minas Tirith became Minas Sauron. Terribly original, I know

I've named Barad-Dur Amon Elessar, I'm quite happy with that!!

I've named Barad-Dur to Mount Doosh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast