Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Problems

Default Small Problems

I installed RTR Platinum 1.6 yesterday using the 1.4 full install and the 1.6 patch, it's the first time I've used the mod, and I've noticed a couple of things, wondering if anyone can help.
    First off, as far as I know the mod is supposed to change the way things on the battle map are displayed - the position of the mini-map, for instance. When I have a battle on my game, nothing has changed - the minimap, unit icons, etc are all the same as in vanilla RTW.
    Secondly, a minor bug - when I try to move an army unit, they sometimes try to walk through cities controlled by other factions, as though planning the route without taking the city into account. As a result, when they get to the city I get a route blocked message and the unit refuses to move any more that turn - this has led to some armies being completely trapped in some parts of the map, unable to even walk around a city.
    Other than these things, the game works perfectly, but I'm wondering if somehow the mod has failed to install correctly.

Default Re: Small Problems

Quote Originally Posted by Murrin
    I installed RTR Platinum 1.6 yesterday using the 1.4 full install and the 1.6 patch, it's the first time I've used the mod, and I've noticed a couple of things, wondering if anyone can help.
    First off, as far as I know the mod is supposed to change the way things on the battle map are displayed - the position of the mini-map, for instance. When I have a battle on my game, nothing has changed - the minimap, unit icons, etc are all the same as in vanilla RTW.
    You can not have the vanilla RTW icons if you have installed RTRPE. Maybe you did not placed it in the wrong location. Look at this guide and maybe it helps you see where you went wrong:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58290
    I was wondering, do you have the rtr intro movie, or the rtr factions?

Secondly, a minor bug - when I try to move an army unit, they sometimes try to walk through cities controlled by other factions, as though planning the route without taking the city into account. As a result, when they get to the city I get a route blocked message and the unit refuses to move any more that turn - this has led to some armies being completely trapped in some parts of the map, unable to even walk around a city.
    Other than these things, the game works perfectly, but I'm wondering if somehow the mod has failed to install correctly.
    If the city is visible on the campaign map this should not happen. Armies trying to pass through enemy cities. I never heard of this before. Maybe someone knows more then me. It is highly probable that you messed up something when you installed the mod. If you can tell me more about how you went about this I may be able to see if there`s anything wrong with that. Give me more details.

If the city is "unknown" and covered by fog of war your army will march up to it and stop. You should always manually move your armys during the game turn instead of letting the AI do it. In fact, I usually quick save my game before I push end turn so if I see someone moving that I forgot about I will quickly push quick load and it will stop all AI movements and load my game. I will then move the forgotten army and push end turn again.

Nothing should be halting mid movement as long as the entire path in question is not covered by fog of war.
    -Voice of the Celtic warriors in EB 1 and writer of the original tutorial on sound and music editing for RTW.

Quote Originally Posted by florin80
    You can not have the vanilla RTW icons if you have installed RTRPE. Maybe you did not placed it in the wrong location. Look at this guide and maybe it helps you see where you went wrong:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58290
    I was wondering, do you have the rtr intro movie, or the rtr factions?
    As I said, everything appears to have been modified correctly - intro movies, loading screens, main menu, campaign, factions--everything. But I read that the mod changes the layout of things like the minimap and unit cards in battles, and on my game these are unchanged.

As for how I went about installing, there's not really much detail I can give. I installed the vanilla RTW 1.0 from the discs, got the 1.3 and 1.5 patches from totalwar.com and ran those, checking each time to make sure the game was working correctly, and then I downloaded the 1.4 full install and 1.6 patch from the links in the topic on this forum. I ran the 1.4 install and followed the instructions there, then ran the 1.6 patch. The mod seemed to have installed correctly, everything was looking the way it should, but it's just that this one thing I thought was changed by the mod--the battle gui--appeared unchanged.

Nothing should be halting mid movement as long as the entire path in question is not covered by fog of war.
    That's exactly the problem - I'm having units walk until they get into the area around a city, and stop, then the next turn when I tell them to move the path is around the far side of the city, but it gets the other side and the same thing happens. I end up with armies trying to walk one way, then trying to walk the other, and always stopping, in places where it should know whether something is in the way.
    Last edited by Murrin; September 01, 2006 at 10:52 AM.

It`s been so long since I played vanilla RTW that I can`t remember exactly how the layout was. But I think that the icons are in the same position during a battle.

That's exactly the problem - I'm having units walk until they get into the area around a city, and stop, then the next turn when I tell them to move the path is around the far side of the city, but it gets the other side and the same thing happens. I end up with armies trying to walk one way, then trying to walk the other, and always stopping, in places where it should know whether something is in the way.
    I have no idea about this one. Sorry! If the objects (cities and such) are discovered and visible on the campaign map, the units should not have problems moving around them and not through them as you say. I`ll leave it for someone with more experience in unit path finding to answer this.

Yes very strange indeed. If this issue still occurs after trying to reinstall (if you decide to do so) I would manually move my armys around the city in question, or simply conquer it
    -Voice of the Celtic warriors in EB 1 and writer of the original tutorial on sound and music editing for RTW.

I uninstalled everything and installed it again from scratch, this time with the 1.6 full install. So far, it seems to be working right. Thanks for the help, anyway.

No problem! Let`s hope you can enjoy the mod this time. Happy playing!

unexpected end of archive. both full and patch are bad file. can't unzip it

Quote Originally Posted by madtomic
    unexpected end of archive. both full and patch are bad file. can't unzip it
    What? Where? When? Sorry for the joke, but I didn`t understand what your problem is. If it is about the RTRPE v1.4 and the RTRPE v1.6 patch then you can download and install RTRPE v1.6 full install from here:
    http://www.beaglepc.net/rome/downloa...ll_Install.zip
    So install this over a fresh install of RTW v1.5.

EDIT: if I got it wrong tell me again what has happened and I`ll see what can be done.

sorry about the muti post. This is the same zip file. ERR

sorry about the muti post. This is the same zip file. ERR
    Please be more clear. What did you downloaded and what exactly has happened? I did downloaded the new v1.6 full install and I had extracted the files from it with no problems.

I just downloaded the full 1.6 from http://www.beaglepc.net/rome/downloa...ll_Install.zip and i can't extract the file. I get this error...

! C:\Documents and Settings\Powen\Desktop\rtr 1.6\RTR_Platinum_v1.6_Full_Install.zip: Unexpected end of archive

I just downloaded the full 1.6 from http://www.beaglepc.net/rome/downloa...ll_Install.zip and i can't extract the file. I get this error...

! C:\Documents and Settings\Powen\Desktop\rtr 1.6\RTR_Platinum_v1.6_Full_Install.zip: Unexpected end of archive
    Sorry to say this cliche, but: your download is corrupt. I see no other explanation. I downloaded it and I managed to extract the files inside. Now, you do know that the installer is packed into a rar archive and you have to decompress it with winrar before you can start it? Sorry if you knew that, but I had to try. If you did everything wright, then I`m afraid you have to try and download it again. BTW how big is the file you downloaded?

I have DLed this file 5 times now useing 3 diffrent browsers and download managers.
    Each time I get a corrupt file 158 MB (166,674,944 bytes) big.
    How about a mirror?

Quote Originally Posted by Letum
    I have DLed this file 5 times now useing 3 diffrent browsers and download managers.
    Each time I get a corrupt file 158 MB (166,674,944 bytes) big.
    How about a mirror?
    What happens? The file stops downloading or what? It should be about 215 or more. There`s no mirror at the moment. You can try downloading the v1.4 full install and then the v1.6 patch. It`s exactly the same thing only that they are not packed that well so they are much bigger.

OMG. it worked this time... yea~~ thanks for your feedbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by florin80
    What happens? The file stops downloading or what? It should be about 215 or more. There`s no mirror at the moment. You can try downloading the v1.4 full install and then the v1.6 patch. It`s exactly the same thing only that they are not packed that well so they are much bigger.
    I don't know if the download %sge reaches 100% as I am away from the PC when it is downloading (I am on a 56k so I cant watch it all the time!)
    When I try and extract it with winzip and/or other extractors I get a error message telling me the archive is corrupt.

I shall try what you suggested.
    You may wish to review your 1.4 download links btw

Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Letum
    I don't know if the download %sge reaches 100% as I am away from the PC when it is downloading (I am on a 56k so I cant watch it all the time!)
    When I try and extract it with winzip and/or other extractors I get a error message telling me the archive is corrupt.

I shall try what you suggested.
    You may wish to review your 1.4 download links btw

Many thanks
    I know. The one from rtr is unavailable at the moment. Maybe dead for good. The one from filefront is reported to have some problems, but somebody managed to download from it. Try the one from 3ddownloads. Also, RTRPE v1.7 should be relesed next weekend if all goes well so you might want to wait for that. Sorry I couldn`t do more about it. The strange thing is that I managed to download the whole thing and extracted all the files in it with no problem. This was yesterday I think.

Legionario's Avatar Semisalis

As of today,I actually tried downloading 1.6 full,but it never reaches 100%,sometimes it stops at 45% sometimes at 85%
    grrrrr....nearly there.....there really is a problem with the host.

P.S.
    My solution was to download 1.4 from 3dDownloads (the only working) and then patch 1.6.
    Last edited by Legionario; September 04, 2006 at 02:10 PM.
    E fra chi lo ascoltò,alcuni erano buoni
    molti erano malvagi,
    e molti non erano niente,
    come tutti gli uomini...in qualsiasi luogo....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast