Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picenum and Etruria must be owned by Roman Republic

Iulianus Apostata's Avatar CRVORE CONTRA AVRVM

Default Picenum and Etruria must be owned by Roman Republic

Hi,

I have seen that in the preview of the Roman faction Picenum and Etruria are rebels provincies at the start date. It is a mistake..Roman Republic, in the middle of III century BC (270 a.c. ca), had already Etruria and Picenum

"Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori" - Horatius

Default Re: Picenum and Etruria must be owned by Roman Republic

The campaign starts in 272 BC. Rome had not conquered those territories yet.
    Senior Designer

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lusted View Post
    Ok but will we have pyrrhus in game before he died ? or can't we play with him anymore since he died?
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Quote Originally Posted by Antipater Thrax View Post
    Ok but will we have pyrrhus in game before he died ? or can't we play with him anymore since he died?

Quote Originally Posted by sunny44 View Post
    shut up!
    What's your problem?

Dude asking something doesn't hurt anyone
    Veritas Temporis Filia

What's your problem?

Dude asking something doesn't hurt anyone
    anger issues!

Quote Originally Posted by sunny44 View Post
    anger issues!
    Ok.....
    Veritas Temporis Filia

CanOmer's Avatar Centenarius

Etruria and Picenum were gained after 272BC. Rome II is correct about this. But, why doesn't Carthage have Thapsus?

My Submods For Europa Barbarorum II Clean Campaign Mini Map for EB 2.3 ;

If you asked me I'd say it's all because gameplay to sum up your questions. Can't be totally accurate
    [CONTENTBOX][/CONTENTBOX]

Troll Face

Intel i5 3570K (4.2Ghz @ 1.215v); ASUS Z87 Gryphon; 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro; GTX 780; Corsair AX760i; Noctua NH-U12S; Samsung 840 Pro 256GB; WD Black 1TB; Windows 7

I wish they made SIcily a separate province with a further subdivision including Messana as other city and Syracuse as capital .

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

Aeneas Veneratio's Avatar Protector Domesticus

72 BC was the year he went to war with Sparta and the year he died.
    R2TW stance: Ceterum autem censeo res publica delendam esse

If I’m not mistaken, I think this is the first time we have the official confirmation of the starting date. Great .
    According to geacron, this is how the Mediterranean should look like in 272BC:

These are my main complaints:
    - Carthage should control the south of the Iberian Peninsula, Sardinia, Corsica and Balearic islands.
    - Egypt should control Cyprus and some regions in Anatolia.
    - The Achaean and Aetolian leagues should be represented in the game.
    Last edited by Boicote; June 20, 2013 at 05:44 AM.

so,we will see Camillian hastati etc?

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS ts View Post
    I wish they made SIcily a separate province with a further subdivision including Messana as other city and Syracuse as capital .
    Have to agree. Sicily was way too important. But eventually it's for the best. Because Rome CPU will have to take Sicily to get the whole Province. So this hopefully will lead to a conflict.

Because of the "Why does the faction not have this and this province??"-topic....people, it's a game and it has to be balanced in some way. Gameplay reasons! Complaints are getting more and more ridiculous here. After all, if you start playing your gameplay and actions surely will not be historical correct either. Carthage, Egypt, Pontus,... will all miss some regions. And that is good! I don't want to start with a whole big empire -> Balance problems, hard to overlook at the start, way too easy (There will be no challenge to widen the empire, only 3-4 factions could get problematic). Soooo...Get over it and start conquering! In my opinion at least it looks like CA had made the perfect agreement.
    Last edited by Igor85; June 20, 2013 at 06:02 AM.

CanOmer's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Igor85 View Post
    Because of the "Why does the faction not have this and this province??"-topic....people, it's a game and it has to be balanced in some way. Gameplay reasons! Complaints are getting more and more ridiculous here. After all, if you start playing your gameplay and actions surely will not be historical correct either. Carthage, Egypt, Pontus,... will all miss some regions. And that is good! I don't want to start with a whole big empire -> Balance problems, hard to overlook at the start, way too easy (There will be no challenge to widen the empire, only 3-4 factions could get problematic). Soooo...Get over it and start conquering! In my opinion at least it looks like CA had made the perfect agreement.
    I don't agree. This is an historical game. Starting positions is too important to sacrifice for balance. There must be other ways to maintain good balance: city level, technology, diplomacy (alliances, vassals), treasury, income, starting army and navy. For example, to reduce strength of Seleucids, there can be vassal states in the empire to represent satraps.
    My Submods For Europa Barbarorum II Clean Campaign Mini Map for EB 2.3 ;

Rezza's Avatar Tiro

Btw IGOR i think the term A.I. is better than CPU i keep thinking of the CPU component

Anyway on the topic. Its CA's choice. I think they are making minor adjustments here and there to add to the gameplay aspect. Yes this game is not %100 historical and please don't expect it to be a totally historical accurate game.

The problem with the starting positions are not in Italy but with the two African factions.
    -Egypt should have at least Cyprus, Paraitonion and Ammonium. Maybe Cyrene too.
    -Carthage should have at least the phoenician colonies in Ibiza and Gadir, and all the coast Thapsus and Leptis. In order to balance, the Mauritania coast could be removed and given to the Mauri or the Numidians. Maybe Corsica and another province in South Spain too.

Please Jack Lusted answer why that nonsense starting position for Carthage.

Quote Originally Posted by CanOmer View Post
    I don't agree. This is an historical game. Starting positions is too important to sacrifice for balance. There must be other ways to maintain good balance: city level, technology, diplomacy (alliances, vassals), treasury, income, starting army and navy. For example, to reduce strength of Seleucids, there can be vassal states in the empire to represent satraps.
    Primarily it is a game, based around a certain time period of history. Being a game it must make decisions to improve it, even if some slight accuracy has to be cut.

Maybe Carthage owns a couple of vassals along the iberian coast, to represent colonies? I dont know much of their history but CA may have done this to prevent them being too strong initially?

"Rem tene; verba sequentur." - Grasp the subject, the words will follow.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Bartolomeo XIII View Post
    so,we will see Camillian hastati etc?
    No. It was mentioned since very early that Rome starts with Polybian legions.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Indeed, it's difficult to represent the historical carthaginian empire in all the subtles ways it "owned" territories in the absolut total war game style (ie you own it, or you don't). Or you would have to multiply exponentially the number of settlements. Carthage exerced influence over vast tracts of land on maps, but in truth, they never controlled the interior of Sardinia or of the Algerian and Morrocan coast, only some acres around the dozens or so punic colonies on the coast. Same for spain, they had influences and interests with the natives powers and tribes, but before the barcid conquest of the interior, they truely owned only a few settlements and the area around them like Gadir (who only was a small island btw).

So, for game balance should you show those big provinces as owned, with all the bonus that come with possession in the game; or not controlled ?

That may be the first time i criticize the new map, but i think it focus too much on big area of land and cities and on way of representing the roman empire and isn't detailed enough to show the reality and the subtilities of "control" over areas at the time (the various kind of vassals and allies, hegemonia, confederation etc).
    But it's how totalwar works so i guess it can't be helped...
    Last edited by Keyser; June 20, 2013 at 10:47 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast