Thread: NewCombat Submod by GreatSword

Default NewCombat Submod by GreatSword

Welcome Friends!

This is the NewCombat submod for CoW 1.5.1

Here are some of the "main" features:
    1. New Siege warfare- challenging as the attacker, Epic as the defender vs incredible odds
    2. New unit stats for nearly every unit in the game
    3. Stronger bodyguard units
    4. Unit Experience must be earned in battle!
    5. New Pikes mechanic
    6. Border Princes faction heavily modified

BORDER PRINCES
    The Border Princes are home to many small city-states and townships and are very untaimed lands. A number of mercenary groups base their operations out of this area and as such the Princes will have access to several bands throughout the great war. They may also choose to fight outside the conclave of light, if they have a leader strong enough to hold the border against all invaders.

This faction is designed to fight the conclave of light, the chaos forces, orks, undead, and beastmen. This is a highly difficult but rewarding campaign, very fun and versatile. You have so many different types of foes it is very exciting to play! The highest level mercenary camp will offer a few rare and exotic units to help you on your campaign, such as Elven sailors, Dwarven pirates, and even questing Knights from nearby bretonnia.

Other Faction mentions:
    Vampire Counts- Stronger starting armies for campaign, very strong vampires, weak skeletons (but cheap and missle resistant)
    Orks- Very durable units, er we go!
    Dwarfs- Slow, yet immovable and strong
    Empire- Made more defensive, knights are strong, ranged units can hold positions better
    Elves- Elite and swift, although fragile defenses compared to chaos neighbors
    Chaos Factions- Powerful Chosen, very numerous marauder troops of superior tier 1 quality, solid heavy infantry/cavalry
    Kislev- Strong cavalry, cheap but effective infantry
    Chaos Dwarfs- Durable and slow, with access to swift Ork and Hobgoblin forces
    Night Goblins- Now sporting Trolls in starting armies, watch out!
    Rebels- Certain rebel cities now harder to capture due to higher quality garrison forces\

Buildings redone- build times and benefits changed, focus on low tier buildings, some high tier buildings now very expensive but have much greater impact because of the other changes.

Instructions:
    1) backup your "data" folder of CoW
    2) unzip the attached file, and drop it in your "Call of Warhammer" folder
    3) Start a new campaign and enjoy!

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by GreatSword; June 18, 2013 at 04:33 AM.

ninja51's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: NewCombat Submod by GreatSword

Very excited to try this out

Laetus

Just downloaded it, pretty excited to try it out, will give my opinion when I get to it. :p
    Thanks for keeping this mod alive by the way.

Going to give it a shot tonight

Feedback to come

This looks great! Gotta try it out. Sorry for not getting you feedback Greatsword. Great work and so glad you continuing to work on your submod.

Giving this a try. Also, Just a quick general warhammer question. In most fantasy settings things like elves and vampires (and to a lesser extent dwarf-or other long lived races) are usually a lot tougher/better then then human counterparts, and I am just wondering if warhammer is different in this regard? While the EDU, for example lists human bodyguards with 3hp, and vamps with 5, I would expect a much greater difference then this. So, is this more gameplay related, or is the warhammer genre a bit different (I must really have a look at some of the novels).Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by zoommooz View Post
    Giving this a try. Also, Just a quick general warhammer question. In most fantasy settings things like elves and vampires (and to a lesser extent dwarf-or other long lived races) are usually a lot tougher/better then then human counterparts, and I am just wondering if warhammer is different in this regard? While the EDU, for example lists human bodyguards with 3hp, and vamps with 5, I would expect a much greater difference then this. So, is this more gameplay related, or is the warhammer genre a bit different (I must really have a look at some of the novels).Cheers.
    Eh, I wouldnt look to hard into it my friend. But if it bothers you, take another look, but CLOSER ;P The vamps are the fastest infantry models in the submod, have the highest hp, and one of the highest attacks. Combine these three traits and you have a truly devastating unit.

Also remember, the human bodyguards are the heros of their race, and are much tougher combatants than the average soldier.

And yes, in "warhammer" very exceptional humans have be able to overcome vampires in single combat, either by magic items, guile, spells, or whatever they can find.

As far as the tabletop, a human "Lord" character can beat regular vampires, on the other hand a "Vampire Lord" is very strong.

Does this help your consciousness any? ;P

Indeed. . In most vampire fiction, a human, regardless of ability would rarely fare well one on one. Thanks for the info.

Civis

somebody have tho original data files? I had forgot to made a backup...

So i have been playing it, I am definitely enjoying how siege is working, far more challenging!

I have edited the unit stats a fair bit, returning the unit health to 1 across the board, lowering trolls etc substantially and toying with those other numbers I spoke to you about, I plan on, in the long run making my EDU based more on fluff that TT, but I have a lot of tweaking to go.

Thanks for bringing out this mod, I look forward to your further releases!
    Last edited by Aethyr; June 27, 2013 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aethyr View Post
    So i have been playing it, I am definitely enjoying how siege is working, far more challenging!

I have edited the unit stats a fair bit, returning the unit health to 1 across the board, lowering trolls etc substantially and toying with those other numbers I spoke to you about, I plan on, in the long run making my EDU based more on fluff that TT, but I have a lot of tweaking to go.

Thanks for bringing out this mod, I look forward to your further releases!
    Thank you Aethyr, your input is important. I am also playing with a version of the 1hp system, trying to perfect it.

Just so you have an idea of how i am working it, Height 1.8 = T3 (the shorter the unit, the tougher it is, ie, 1.7 = t4 and so on). Would be more than happy to send you my edu for you to have a look.

IrishBlood's Avatar GIVE THEM BLIZZARDS!

Are pikemen correctly balanced? I am playing as the border princes and the mercenary pikemen (alacanti fellowship etc) are weaker then the basic bordor princes infantry, surely they should be stronger???

Valiant Champion's Avatar Praepositus

5 values in soldier line

1) number of soldiers
    2) number of artillery or extras
    3) mass

hidden values

4)radius
    5) height

BETTER PIKES
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...2#post16143112

THE PIKE WARS HAVE BEGUN!

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBlood View Post
    Are pikemen correctly balanced? I am playing as the border princes and the mercenary pikemen (alacanti fellowship etc) are weaker then the basic bordor princes infantry, surely they should be stronger???
    Have you used them in combat? They are much stronger than most infantry, which is why the upkeep is higher. Try them out in a custom battle, unit vs unit and see, its hard for enemies to hit them. They have phalanx as well, which makes them even tougher, and +4 vs cavalry/trolls/Minotaurs/Ogres. They can bring many pikes to bear on a single enemy.

Use phalanx and square formation when defending, rectangle shape, long side facing enemy. For attacking, turn all abilities off and click them to attack, they have great reach.
    Last edited by GreatSword; July 01, 2013 at 08:03 PM.

Valiant Champion's Avatar Praepositus

They use their pikes on city walls. *?confused*

BETTER PIKES
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...2#post16143112

THE PIKE WARS HAVE BEGUN!