Thread: [History] A Place in History: Andalusia

Default [History] A Place in History: Andalusia

Author: Perikles
    Original Thread: A Place in History: Andalusia

A Place in History: Andalusia
    A Place in History: Andalusia

Introduction

Well having just come back from here and noticing it isn't all fish and chips for breakfast/Blackpool II, I thought I would do a little piece on the other side of Andalusia/Costa Del Sol and it's rich history from the Vandals to the Spanish Civil War, from the Moors to the Romans...

Timeline

500BC The Carthaginians colonise the Region

210BC-400AD Roman Rule, land named Baetica and Cordoba and Malaga develop into important towns. This time is ended by the invasion by the Vandals and the region is renamed Vandalusia.

711 The Moorish Commander Tariq lands and begins his conquest of the Iberian Peninsula. Muslim rule follows.

1212 Victory at 'Las Navas de Tolosa' brings a milestone in the reconquest of the region.

1487 The Catholic armies conquer Malaga.

1492 Muslims surrender Granada to the Catholics, meaning the end of Muslim Rule in Spain.

1704 British capture Gibraltar.

1936-39 Civil war, Region is divided between the Government and Nationalist forces. Nationalists win and General Franco rules.

1975 Franco dies, Constitutional Monarchy returns.

1985 Border with Gibraltar is reopened.

Places

Granada

Home to the Alhambra Palace and the Last kingdom of the Moors to fall to the Catholics. The Alhambra palace is world renowned and is a World heritage site. At this point I would show you some nice pictures, but it is that renowned the closest I got was this:

Tip: Go to the Alhambra very early, or you will face the biggest queue the world has seen...

Here is a better shot:

Another place of historical importance in Granada is the 'Capilla Real' or Royal Chapel, where the Catholic monarchs who reconquered the City, Ferdinand and Isabella are buried. it is very beautiful and I regret not being able to see apart from at a distance.

Further Information

Wiki on the Alhambra
    Wiki on Granada
    Wiki on Queen Isabella I of Castile and King Ferdinand II of Aragon

Ronda

A City that dates from Celtic times. It was occupied by the Romans, who made their mark with one of the three bridges that span the 'El Tajo' gorge, which divides the city in two. The city was also ruled by the Moors and then the Catholics. Here are some pictures I took that can explain Ronda better than I can, pictures can tell a thousand words after all...

Further Information

Wiki on Ronda

Gibraltar

Technically not a part of Andalusia due to it being a colony of the United Kingdom. This small rock, one of the Pillars of Hercules, has played a part in history from the Romans to WWII...

Gibraltar was one of the Pillars of Hercules that was discussed by many Classical figures and used in mythology. The Romans and Carthaginians both develpoed some small settlements on the rock, but after the Moorish conquest of the area, a fortress was built on to the rock, which can still be seen today.

Gibraltar was seized by the British and Dutch during the Spanish Wars of Sucession in 1704, a possesion which was confirmed by the 1713 Treaty of Utrecht. Gibraltar has being a vital asset to the British Forces in times of war from Trafalgar to WWII.

During WWII, the population of Gibraltar was evacuated around the world, even though it might have been safer for them on the rock in Hindsight. In their absence, Gibraltar was turned into a fortress, with guns comanding the Mediterranean entrance, an airfield, and a maze of underground tunnels built into the rock itself. Germany wanted to capture the rock and then block the British oil flow through the straits from the Middle East, but the Spanish would not allow them to pass through their territory.

A view from the Tunnels overlooking the Airfield and Spanish border:

From inside these tunnels Eisenhower planned Operation Torch, the invasion of french North Africa.

Further Information

Wiki on Gibraltar
    Wiki on Operation Torch
    Wiki on the Straits
    Discover Gibraltar - Full of Information
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; December 31, 2013 at 09:38 AM. Reason: fixed author link