Thread: Playing as Vikings

Default Playing as Vikings

I have tried 3-4 times to survive with the vikings, either i got an last stand army and a debt or i got no army (or almost) and 4 cities and then goes about +-0 in cash if it go well i earn about 300 per turn but then always gets invaded by huge armies from the saxons. After a couple of heroic victories it ends with uprising in east town of Sweden and then you got no possibility to take it back with the few troops left without loosing every other city to the saxons...

Has someone succeded with the vikings? And then please tell about your strategy. I have as most taken 4 cities when the chaos begins. :hmmm:

thorn is's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Playing as Vikings

I did pretty well as the vikings - before i stoped the campaign - i used the magnus map, which for the vikings is slighly easier I find.
    Basically I was like a periah... just sat back waiting till i found small opertunities to attakc the rebel factions and avoided war with the saxons - in fact had a pretty good alience with them.
    I find their very unlikely to cross the sea to attack you as long as you dont enter the mainland near them. What I concentrated on was northern france.
    when the western roman enter began to collapse - which is bound to happen eventually i attacked modern day normandy with whatever i had...
    saved some money too to get some mercaries just before my siege...
    its hard to hold cities there cause of rebellions so make sure to slaughter everyone when entering a city . i took most of northern france.. i might have gotten lucky cause the saxons stayed away from me and wared mostely with the franks (which devestated them) and the slavs to the east
    "...ferreique Eumenidum thalami et Discordia demens vipereum crinem vittis innexa cruentis." Virgil 6 280

As far as the normal map goes, my best strategy involves focusing solely on building a dockyard, and then a small fleet of boats, then leaving the one settlement I have, and using the respectably sized horde to invade the mainland. The Saxons are a good bet, as their interests are divided (between the mainland and their holdings in England), so if you're good/lucky enough you can usually wipe them out on the mainland before they can properly answer. Either that or send your hordes over to England and besiege Londinium or something.

Without a horde, it's physically impossible to get anywhere unless you go down to medium difficulty level or something. The Early Vikings unit that all the rebels have at least one of is broken. They're frigging unbeatable with the level of units you begin with.

vlad's Avatar Artifex

And then please tell about your strategy.
    need attack britain island and other small islands.
    Mongol invasion 2 mod for Medieval 2 Kingdoms https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kCR...ew?usp=sharing
    New download links of Vlad Total war mod Rome Expansion and Barbarian invasion on google drive https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IU1...ew?usp=sharing
    Patch for two vlads mods (for Rome and Barbarians) on google drive https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hbE...usp=drive_link
    my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/vladimir.kudin/
    my youtube page https://www.youtube.com/vlad9vt

Quote Originally Posted by Soggius Chippius
    Without a horde, it's physically impossible to get anywhere unless you go down to medium difficulty level or something. The Early Vikings unit that all the rebels have at least one of is broken. They're frigging unbeatable with the level of units you begin with.
    I noticed the Early Vikings thing too. You can beat them with your Bear Seekers, theyre the only unit you have in the early game that actually has a feasible chance of keeping the early vikings busy. Youll probably need 2 units of bearseekers just to bring a unit of Early Vikings to a stalemate, and another unit coming in from behind to finish em off.

Vlad, is there any way for a playable faction to build the Early Vikings? Theyre such awesome units, I wanna be able to build em.

Saxons and Vikings are both able to build them with the tier 5 barracks.

ah I see, thanks. Tier 5...yikes thatll take a few days...

trie to be ally with saxons fast...and attack roman city on britan soil and haras roman citys in frace ans spain. after capture the castle maintain garison mainly archer and some infantry, set to defence on wall after tower its stop on wall and let the enemy infantry start battle with yours and with archer shot enemy like powerfool roman infantry in back, archer must be on streets in town. nice strategy but work only in single players

Thanks for all the answers!

I noticed too the strong early vikings but they are not so hard so long you encounter them with 2-3 units of axe throwers from 3 directions and after that unite with an general to slash hard and fast at the same time. Usually i lose one unit of axethrowers for one unit of early vikings, but you surely must plan and run :tooth:

Now Britain next

I now got the whole Britain island and Ireland with the vikings

I just wonder if religion is in effect? Will christianity come? As now i captured one town with christian buildings but anyway no christian influence in the city. I got a christian general with the picts one time but i could not build such buildings when the town showed a cross instead of pagan religion... i just not rembember how it worked in BI.

The roman empire has crushed every nation exept the most northern lands - saxons, slavs and the huns the rest are occupied so i can see if nothing happens i will be next soon. Time to plan a preemtive war Does this usually happens to you too when you play on Vlads map? Anyway i got 3 cities producing early vikings.

thorn is's Avatar Libertus

Like in most mods and games its always a little different how the ai expands...
    havent played much on the vlad map.. but on magnus sometimes the western romans crumble, sometimes they remain strong... the east usually stays pretty strong...
    its pretty different all the time... small insignificant events can change the outcome.. and dont forget the effect you have on the whole deal...
    ie if you go to war and weaken an enemy of rome she can easily isolate and destroy that nation... yet in my game i allied with the western rebels, protected their northern ends and helped them weaken the northern borders - while doing this rome could no longer afford to defend spain and the celtic rebellion was strong enough to take it

sorry i know a little how the religion works, but not enough to confentantly answer your question. I usually try to convert everyone around to my starting religion (usually paganism) by massacring christian cities and rebuilding them up...
    gotta go
    "...ferreique Eumenidum thalami et Discordia demens vipereum crinem vittis innexa cruentis." Virgil 6 280

I wonder in Vlads mod if it has the same function as BI to that to be able to build higher levels of buildings like advanced temples and such. Must i wait to a certain year to be able to build christian buildings or is it not possible in this mod?

Im having troubles with CTD now as the vikings when i invaded northern France. The romans has mercenary eguits veterani, and mercenary ballista but i dont for sure know who is makings those crashes.

I played with the vikings too, it was near impossible to play without cheating! too though rebels and saxons that always invade -.-

But..

I like the boshporan kindom, they are really hard, but youll get the best army ever! it got great defend infantry with cavalry that beats everyone, even the huns get beaten with bhosporan infantry....aargh bosphoran infantry just looked soo cool, i always keep alot of thoose in a stack, and i use the virgin archers with very long range missiles untill i get raiders....

Argh the fun, i started of fighting with the huns alot, i mean alot and then after i "crushed" their 4 siege on tanisia (my Capital, and i lost 3 quarters of my military force there) then they gave me an choice...Protreqograte or death, i choosed Pro ^^ and i gave them an 100denars 10 turn long tribute along with map info, that turned out well but it made the huns concentrate on the east instead of the west and now i find myself fighting on very hard setting against sarmatians and the eastern roman empires navy, its though, i auctally cheated -.^ only minor and each 10 years i use togglefow

But heres the funny part: when i attacked the sarmatians with an veteran army (my only ^^) in order to kill their last stack of men i lost 5 family members...FIVE! then i was left with one super govenor and one mean ol'e military commander (Breccus the Mean) and no kids, at all. the future will decide... i can post pics of the battles and campaign map if someone would like it
    “"The robber of your free will," writes Epictetus, "does not exist”