Thread: [CK2] [Released] Norse Characters

Default [CK2] [Released] Norse Characters

this adds two counties to western Norway(Sogn and Møre), as well as one duchy(Møre). it adds 2 counties in Iceland(North and South Iceland) and makes Iceland a merchant republic on ducal level.
    it also fixes the localisation of Norway`s northern half.
    the norwegian and icelandic starting characters of 867 and 1066 has been personalized according to the saga`s and "traditions", with extended family trees and their flavourful nicknames.

caveat: there are a couple bugs i have not been able to spot.
    1. the "de jure kingdoms" map-mode will cause CTD.
    2. resigning and re-loading a savegame will cause CTD, quit game and re-start to load save-game.
    3. 10-15 provinces has missplaced ports reported in error-log, might correspond to a river. i do get some in the vanilla error-log, along with a too narrow river, possibly i messed up some adjacencies.

changelog

changelog4:
    added two counties in Iceland, North and South Iceland.
    made Iceland into a merchant republic, no longer de jure part of Norway.
    added a bunch of Norse characters and their lineages.
    added a bunch of nicknames, many unique but several also available for north_germanic characters.
    all added provinces should now also be playable for 1066 campaign and possibly later dates as well.

changelog3:
    added more sets of saga characters and their lineages.
    added the lineage of the Icelandic bersekrer-poet Egil Skallagrimson.
    added a bunch of new nicknames for saga characters.
    added 2 new honorary titles, Herse and Jarl, with added traits.
    fixed duplicate dynasties causing Lowborn bug.

changelog2:
    changed rulers of Møre to Huntjov and his son Sølve Klove.
    added some minor local kings of Sogn as unlanded characters.
    Gave Ragnvald (Mørejarl) claim on Møre, hes is now unlanded at Haralds court.
    made Atle Mjova of Sogn vassals of Harald Fairhair
    added families to rulers of Hordaland, Rogaland, Agder and Telemark.
    added a few marriages to countar Haralds block.
    added nicknames to south-west Norwegian characters.
    added flags for Møre and Sogn.
    Harald Fairhair is now married to Åsa, daughter of the future Håkon Ladejarl.Attachment 281565

changelog1:
    moved Hålogaland northwards, even though it should have replaced Nordland as it is the same area with different names.
    moved county Naumadal north to actual Namdal.
    moved county Trønderlag north to actual Trønderlag.
    added the Duchy of Møre, consisting of county Møre and county Sogn.
    re-distributed baronies to ther proper counties.
    added the line of Grjotgard and Håkon back to mytological times.
    added wife and childeren of Håkon and made Åsa spouse of Harald.
    added the line of Ragnvald Mørejarl back to semi-mythological times, replaced the pittiful attempt by Paradox.
    added a few other characters.
    added Atle Mjove as count of Sogn.
    left Håkon independent ruler of Trøndelag, as not to boost the AI.
    left Atle Mjove independent ruler of Sogn, as not to boost the AI.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by absinthia; June 30, 2013 at 07:41 AM.
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

Default Re: [Mod]Norse Characters

my initial goal was to fix some grave map errors of north-western Norway. as well as adding to the western part of Norway (that figured somewhat prominently in Harald`s subjugation of the other petty kings), as mentioned above, the counties Sogn and Møre under the duchy of Møre.
    though it would seem i so far spent more time adding unlanded characters that figures in the saga´s and local traditions. among them the future Ragnvald Mørejarl, now employed by Harald as chancellor.
    i have also added some lesser "kings" of Møre and Sogn, such as Audbjørn of Fjordane and Nøkve of Romsdal, which has no landed titles. within those lines are hard men such as Berla-Kåre and Kveldulf(nighwolf). as well as several other famous vikings and berserkers that has been inserted and might be encountered either in court or in battle.
    one "great" unlanded dynasty that has emerged is the line of Egil Skallagrimsson, the famous Icelandic berserker-poet, though he is not born i 867.
    i have not found much on Eirik of Hordaland(Bergen) or any other, supposedly, contemporary figure of the area. also Telemark is a bit barren with only Roald Rygg and his brother Hadd the Hard.

many of these characters has a (semi-)legendary aspect and has most likely been inserted into the traditional tales by Snorre(wikipedia of those days) or other saga compilers. taking the que from Snorre, my goal here is not historicality but rather a flavourful Norse character gallery.
    i am not so emerged in Swedish or Danish tradition, so any suggesting for interesting characters/dynasties in those areas is most welcome.

next i am considering some new minor titles such as Jarl/Lendman and Hersir, available for landed characters. something like a "soft" landed title or council job, adding some kind of long term effect, though i have not yet fully grasped the possiblities. the Knight-Ser titles of aGoT mod is somewhat in the range of what i am considering.

it seem though that norse pagans can not press courtesans claims, or that their claims does not even show in their character tab. my hope was that Harald could press Ragnvalds (added) claim on Møre and set him up there, this does not seem to be happening though.
    also i screwed up the dynasties in the above link, causing a bug with lowborns, it is fixed but not uploaded yet.
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

updated, if anyone is interested.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

Looks cool. +rep You should add some screenshots of how it all looks in-game.

as ruler of the independent county of Møre i have set Huntjov. though the saga`s has labled several other characters, in opposition to Harald fairhair, as "kings" in the same area.
    Huntjov of Møre

one such character is Audbjørn, supposedly also known as Edmund. he has been given the trait "Jarl", which make him somewhat better but has no practical effect unless given by a ruler.
    Audbjørn Firdakonge

although being unlanded Audbjørns is of a family that appears prominent in tha saga`s. while Audbjørn sided with Sølve Klove, son of Huntjov, against Harald Fairhair. his nephew Berdla-Kåre, the old berserker, sided with Harald - so did his grandson Torolf. Torolf and his brother Grim are sons of one Kveldulf(nightwolf), an old berserker and neutral during Harald`s subjugation of Vestlandet.
    it was when Torolf had a falling-out with and were killed by Harald, that Kveldulf had a fit of berserker rage(killed a lot of people) and had to flee the country for Iceland. Kveldulf died on the journey to Icelend, supposedly from the strain of going berserk, but his son Grim settled there. he is Skalla-Grim, father of famous berserker-poet Egil Skallagrimsson.
    a Vestlander dynasty

an independent landed character with extended family tree is Geirmund Heljarskin(blackskin) of Rogaland, and his brother Håmund Heljarskin. also here other "kings" are mentioned in opposition to Harald, king Sulke and his son jarl Sote are unlanded characters.
    Heljarskin

a Sør-vestlander dynasty

forming part of the pro-Harald block, at least in history, is Håkon Ladejarl. his daughter Åse is married to Harald Fairhair, his father is Grjotgard Naumdølajarl(Hålogaland).
    Håkon hin Riki
    he has an extended family tree as well.
    a Nordlander dynasty

Harald Fairhair heading the Ynglinge clan, married to Åsa Lade.
    Harald
    other Ynglings in the area are Olav Geirstad alv, Harald`s uncle, ruling in Alvheimr
    Olav Geirstadalv
    and Olav`s son Ragnvald Heidumhære, ruling in Opland.
    Ragnvald Heidumhære

unlanded characters in the pro-Harald block is the future Ragnvald Mørejarl
    Ragnvald Øysteinsson
    he has a tall family tree as well.
    a Vestlander dynasty
    at the lower branch are Gange Rolf(Rolo) of Normandie and Torf-Einar of Orkney.

several of the South-vestlander characters claim descent from Gard Agder, legendary founder of Agder
    Gard Agdir
    he is said to have been son of the mythological Nor, founder of Norway.
    Nor

and father of Rugalf, mythological founder of Rogaland.
    Rugalf
    Last edited by absinthia; June 16, 2013 at 04:13 PM.

Iceland has been divided into 4 parts, aproximately coresponding to the old Fjerdinga-system, and made a merchant republic.
    Icelandic Commonwealth

the Þjóðveldið, or Commonwealth is headed by Ingolf Arnarsson.
    House Gríp

the one independent county on Iceland, Austisland(Easticeland), is run by Leiv "Hjørleiv" Rodmarsson. Leiv is a kinsman and bloodbrother of Ingolf.
    Hjørleiv Rodmarsson

other prominent characters are Aud "the Deepminded", countess of Vestisland and head of House Flatnefr. she is daughter of Kjetill "Flatnose(Flatnefr)". aud is married to Olaf "the White" Yngling, petty king of Dublin. she is mother to Thorstein "the Red" Yngling who died in a bid to make himself king of Scotland. she would become grandmother of Olaf "Feilan(little wolf)", great-grandmother of Tord "Gellir(yeller)" and great-great-grandmother of Thorarin "Fylsenni(sensitive)".
    House Flatnefr(Hvamm)

Nordisland is ruled by Helgi "Magri(lean/thin)", son of Eyvind Austman(eg. Norwegian). Helgi is a Catholic, though he is known to ask the god Thor for advice as well.
    House Austmadr

among the Patrician families are House Laxdæla, headed by Vædra-Grim. Vædra-Grim would become father of Dala-Loll, grandfather of Hoskuld and great-grandfather of Olaf "Pá(peacock)".
    House Laxdæla

house Borg á Myrum is at this point headded by Ulf "Kveldulf(Night wolf)" the berserker. though according to traditions Ulf never set foot on iceland, neither would his son Thorulf. the old berserker Ulf did not take sides during harald Fairhair`s subjugation of Norway, but his son Thorulf joined Harald`s host. later Thorulf would have a falling-out with harald, a conflict that would ultimately result in Thorulf`s death. this had Ulf take revenge in a blind fit of rage, killing a bunch of harald`s men. after which Ulf and his younger son Grim left for Iceland.
    the strain of going berserk were to much for the old warrior and he died en-route to iceland. his son Grim, however, settled at Borg and would become father of the famous berserker-poet Egill-Skallagrimsson.
    House Borg á Myrum
    Anders Sørensen Vedel