Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: New Zelda game announced. (Zelda WII U)

Jakeford's Avatar Ducenarius

Default New Zelda game announced. (Zelda WII U)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAlun...id=P-z9b2kO_GE

The new Zelda game is called A Link between worlds. It is a sequel to a link to the past.

So what do you guys think? will you be playing it? I don't have the a 3DS nor the money to get one so I will not.

Emrys's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: New Zelda game announced.

Huh.......

My stance on this can be described as "cautiously optimistic".

Mostly I'm worried about them screwing up continuity. I mean...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

...yeah... I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will address those issues rather than just pretend none of that happened in the ending of the previous game.

Of course it's not like this would be the first time they screw that up and already in Oracles (especially now that it's established as a sequel to AlttP) the fanbase had to make the assumption that the Master Sword's presence was not canon and pointedly ignore the villains' references to the Dark Realm (or theorize it to be something otehr than the Dark World)

And as far as the actual game goes... apart from "paperization" and the "action meter", we still haven't seen anything new (including all of the locations shown. Though granted the dungeon's layout is new, thankfully).
    ...I hope the Dark World will be significantly more different.

Oh, by the way, it seems ALttP Link has found a really old shield (the one he used to have his this, for those that forgot)
    Last edited by Duke Serkol; June 11, 2013 at 12:36 PM.

I'm actually excited for this. I know it may seem crazy, but I only just beat A Link to the Past for the first time a few days ago. That playthrough was mostly inspired by this mod, by the way. Thanks Neph!

Anyway, yeah. I've played A Link to the Past before, don't get me wrong. But I always ended up giving up before the end, mostly because I'd take a break for a week or two, come back, and have absolutely no idea what I was doing or where I was supposed to go next. And, I dunno, I got sorta bored. This time, I actually stuck through to the end. Aside from a few particularly frustrating dungeons, I really enjoyed it. It's not my favorite of the Zelda series, not by any means, but it's a good time. And frankly, I've always enjoyed Zelda. Which is why I'm looking forward to this new one. Plus, I bought a 3DS for my brother, and it seems like a pretty cool device. I'm going to be buying one for myself very soon, presumably before this game releases.

I'm not too concerned with lore issues. I know all the games are connected, and I've looked up the timeline in the past, but I honestly try not to think about it much. I like to think of each installment as it's own thing in the Zelda universe and not think of them in relation to the other games (Unless, of course, they're more or less direct sequels. Examples being Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, Windwaker combined with Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, and so on). Otherwise, my head hurts. And it seems REALLY weird to me that the Zelda game I'm playing did not happen in this other timeline, so if you're playing Twilight Princess, you're NOT in the same Zelda as Windwaker. Or at least the same timeline.

There's that headache again.

My point is, as long as it feels like a Zelda, I'm going to want to play it. And while I'll enjoy the lore for what it's worth in it's own self contained universe (Or one that's connected to A Link to the Past), I guess I just won't really be thinking much of it in the grand scheme of Zelda. That's for you fine fellows, I suppose.

(Side note, while I am looking forward to this, I'm looking forward to the Windwaker HD for Wii U even more. I'm really excited for that one, as I thought Windwaker was fantastic. And I really like remakes, I guess.)

Windrider37's Avatar Centenarius

i swear, its going to turn out ot be a remake, rather than a whole new game, as most games on the DS turn out to be >.>
    My Skype and steam name is Windrider37 on both. I love chatting and playing games if someone would like to do either ^.^

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Brony View Post
    I'm actually excited for this. I know it may seem crazy, but I only just beat A Link to the Past for the first time a few days ago. That playthrough was mostly inspired by this mod, by the way. Thanks Neph!

Anyway, yeah. I've played A Link to the Past before, don't get me wrong. But I always ended up giving up before the end, mostly because I'd take a break for a week or two, come back, and have absolutely no idea what I was doing or where I was supposed to go next. And, I dunno, I got sorta bored. This time, I actually stuck through to the end. Aside from a few particularly frustrating dungeons, I really enjoyed it. It's not my favorite of the Zelda series, not by any means, but it's a good time. And frankly, I've always enjoyed Zelda. Which is why I'm looking forward to this new one. Plus, I bought a 3DS for my brother, and it seems like a pretty cool device. I'm going to be buying one for myself very soon, presumably before this game releases.

I'm not too concerned with lore issues. I know all the games are connected, and I've looked up the timeline in the past, but I honestly try not to think about it much. I like to think of each installment as it's own thing in the Zelda universe and not think of them in relation to the other games (Unless, of course, they're more or less direct sequels. Examples being Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, Windwaker combined with Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, and so on). Otherwise, my head hurts. And it seems REALLY weird to me that the Zelda game I'm playing did not happen in this other timeline, so if you're playing Twilight Princess, you're NOT in the same Zelda as Windwaker. Or at least the same timeline.

There's that headache again.

My point is, as long as it feels like a Zelda, I'm going to want to play it. And while I'll enjoy the lore for what it's worth in it's own self contained universe (Or one that's connected to A Link to the Past), I guess I just won't really be thinking much of it in the grand scheme of Zelda. That's for you fine fellows, I suppose.

(Side note, while I am looking forward to this, I'm looking forward to the Windwaker HD for Wii U even more. I'm really excited for that one, as I thought Windwaker was fantastic. And I really like remakes, I guess.)
    the timeline is actually pretty easy to understand before the timeline split skyward sword and minish cap happened (and four swords) the child timline is pretty easy, excluding for swords adventures the rest of it is more or less sequals of each other, same goes for the adult timeline, now as for the downfall timeline you just have to remember ALTTP link saved Hyrule, went to holodrum and Labrynna, had a dream about an island (links awakening) then came back and now the new a link between 2 worlds happened. A long time after that the original a legend of Zelda followed up by Link's adventure happened hope this cleared things up

Idunno, Serkol. I mean, "forever" is really a long time. I see what you're getting at, but honestly my question would be who is the unspoken narrator of ALttP. If we assume an omniscient narrator, as one often does (given the fact that most narrators tend to be omniscient), then it would be rather problematic; if, however, we assume the narrator was another character of the Zelda-verse, say a Sage or something, then who's to say they weren't just wrong about the Master Sword sleeping forever. I mean, I really do hope that Ganon doesn't make an appearance again since (forgive me if I'm wrong, it's been forever since I've beaten that particular game) I seem to remember wishing him out of existence with the Triforce (citation needed)?

UndyingNephalim's Avatar Primicerius
    Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfgard the Unmaker View Post
    I I see what you're getting at, but honestly my question would be who is the unspoken narrator of ALttP.
    The Essence of the Triforce was the speaker there. Considering that the Triforce is often claimed to be omniscient this leaves us with three possibilites as to why the Master Sword and Dark World are back.

1) The Triforce really is not omniscient and the people of Hyrule overglorify it. This has potential but I doubt Nintendo would explore that theme.
    2) The Triforce is lying about the Master Sword resting forever and the destruction of the Dark World. Not sure why it would do that though.
    3) The developers of this new game didn't notice those two important facts and somehow based an entire game around the exact two things that could never happen in a direct ALttP sequel (or any sequel after it really.)

Nice. As for continuity and sense, I've stopped getting my hopes up.

Idunno, Serkol. I mean, "forever" is really a long time.
    Or just about six years.

my question would be who is the unspoken narrator of ALttP. If we assume an omniscient narrator, as one often does (given the fact that most narrators tend to be omniscient), then it would be rather problematic; if, however, we assume the narrator was another character of the Zelda-verse, say a Sage or something, then who's to say they weren't just wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by UndyingNephalim View Post
    The Essence of the Triforce was the speaker there. Considering that the Triforce is often claimed to be omniscient
    You know, I'd never thought of that, but it could well be that it was the Essence of the Triforce all along, already back in the intro of the game.
    Either that or standard out-of-story omniscient narrator. There is no reason whatsoever to believe the narrator is some unspecified other character.

I really do hope that Ganon doesn't make an appearance again since (forgive me if I'm wrong, it's been forever since I've beaten that particular game) I seem to remember wishing him out of existence with the Triforce (citation needed)?
    No that didn't happen (hence why he can still return in the first NES game)... but the fact alone that this specific Link has already fought and killed him (twice if we are to believe Hyrule Historia's claim that he's also the one in Oracles) should be reason enough not to bring him back.

Quote Originally Posted by UndyingNephalim View Post
    3) The developers of this new game didn't notice those two important facts and somehow based an entire game around the exact two things that could never happen in a direct ALttP sequel (or any sequel after it really.)
    Needless to say, this seems the most likely (though Neph, the Dark World could come back after ALttP Link dies if the Triforce was to fall into evil hands again).

Avatar of the Ice Wolf's Avatar Praeses

And there was peace and happiness forever and ever... until it was decided that such a fate was boring. At that point, "forever" was redefined as "a few years of rest before the next world-threatening cataclysm."

West: Foranar- Azurita - The Redeemer - Sinteiria - Sakotae the Guardian (Tavia) - Saleria
    East: Nerise - Kiril

So true, Avatar of the Ice Wolf. So true.

That said, that's kinda the way I like it. I don't want peace and happiness forever! I like these worlds of magic and mystery to remain riveting! I want war! Conflict! Darkness! Betrayal! And villains that outright refuse to die! Or stay dead, at any rate.

yes they said it would sleep forever but if hyrule is threatened again then why would they not tell link to take it out and use it to smite evil again? it simply wouldn't be logical for the sages or whatever to be like oh no link use a lesser sword, it sleeps forever Link-Why? DON'T ASK QUESTIONS!

i look forward to it if the dark world is implemented in the way it is in ALTTP i love the way you just use a mirror to switch from one dimension to another
    I shall consume... consume everything

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Brony View Post
    that's kinda the way I like it. I don't want peace and happiness forever! I like these worlds of magic and mystery to remain riveting! I want war! Conflict! Darkness! Betrayal! And villains that outright refuse to die! Or stay dead, at any rate.
    Nowhere in ALttP does it say you can't have that. It just states that this is the last outing of the Master Sword. Those were literally the closing words of the tale.
    ...also has betrayal ever occurred in any story within this franchise? Like ever?
    That is other than in backstory or the very first few minutes (before you can even connect enough to a character to actually feel betrayed. So yeah, Chancellor Cole dosn't really count)

And villains that repeatedly refuse to stay dead are boring and lessen their own importance (and the importance of the fight against them) with every time they return.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakeford View Post
    yes they said it would sleep forever but if hyrule is threatened again then why would they not tell link to take it out and use it to smite evil again? it simply wouldn't be logical for the sages or whatever to be like oh no link use a lesser sword, it sleeps forever Link-Why? DON'T ASK QUESTIONS!
    It's not "the sages or whatever" that said the Master Sword was going to sleep forever. It was the narration. Logically, something should prevent the sword from being drawn again, even if a new danger does befall the land.
    It's not even hard to implement in terms of narrative, in fact it can be used as an interesting plot point. For example the new villain, knowing full well that the Master Sword was instrumental in defeating Ganondorf could make it impossible for Link to take it up again in many, many ways. Like say, by placing a magical barrier around the Lost Woods, or increasing the Woods' power to get people lost to the point where it is completely impossible to reach the sword, or rip the entire forest out of Hyrule and into a pocket dimension... all it needs is some creativity, which is something Nintendo seems to have forgotten judging by the artwork above.
    Last edited by Duke Serkol; June 12, 2013 at 05:05 PM.

Senator

Maybe they'll do a demo where you take all of the cool stuff you go in a Link to the Past and put it all back where you found, restarting all of the traps you broke. A sort of prequel to this game.

Off topic here but I find every year Nintendo stays the same it doesn't change its games or characters. Which I find has destroyed their characters because they are so overused. Also has anyone noticed how they are remaking their older games into HD and calling them new

Quote Originally Posted by Aonuma
    "The world is the same and it might be a different generation of Link and Zelda."
    Oh, for the love of... they still haven't decided even just that much???

And didn't they openly confirm before that it was the same characters? I distinctly remember reading that the game would show what happened to the cast of ALttP after the game's end.

Senator

"With no one to fight Link fell into depression in alcoholism, siring several bastards and eventually being run down by an out of control Epona. One of his children went on to become a legendary hero in his own right."
    "Using genetic cloning, Zelda created millions of copies of herself in order that might rule the world forever."
    "Ganon. After being kicked up the bootyhole repeatedly in ALttP, Ganon decided to get taught a few lessons in villainness by Sephiroth and Sauron, and went on to cause even more trouble for Hyrule."

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar of the Ice Wolf View Post
    "a few years of rest before the next world-threatening cataclysm."
    A generously long rest indeed in the mystical land of Nintendo plots.

Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast