Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Italian Wars of 1521-1525

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Icon5 The Italian Wars of 1521-1525

Culmination at the beautiful Battle of Pavia in 1525, but the Italian Wars were a period of turmoil and great battles between France, the Italian States and the Habsburg Empire and apart from the usual google and wikipedia, what other good websites and articles are available on them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: The Italian Wars of 1521-1525

I always wonder why Italian Wars did not lead to an unified northern Italy... Perhaps Italians really lacked any imagination...
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    I always wonder why Italian Wars did not lead to an unified northern Italy... Perhaps Italians really lacked any imagination...
    Or perhps not because of that "imagination" they didnt want a "boring" "nation-state" kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by RomanSoldier9001 View Post
    Or perhps not because of that "imagination" they didnt want a "boring" "nation-state" kind of thing.
    Well, Italians did have "cities-state" so they did have the concept of "statehood" just it was restricted only to cities.
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.

Baron Thunder-ten-tronckh's Avatar Senator

What? The Florentines becoming a nation with the milanese? The Pisans with the Genovese? Quelle Horreur!

I believe the Italians might have been following on from the tradition of the ancient greek city states, whereby the city is seen as the ideal political unit, and exerts influence over the surrounding region. There was a lot of mayorialism (in constrast to nationalism, haah)
    nos ignoremus quid sit matura senectus, scire aevi meritum, non numerare decet

Indefinitely Banned

i think there was consensus for a unified Italy; if you read MAchiavelli's 'The Prince' he does exhort 'someone' (i presume one of the Sforzas or the Borgias) to unify italy, so i do believe that some Elites and scholars wanted to unify italy into something like Rome That Was-kinda like 19th cenutry germans

yeh, OP read 'The Prince' it's a great read and shows some insight into the period of the italian wars

Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    i think there was consensus for a unified Italy; if you read MAchiavelli's 'The Prince' he does exhort 'someone' (i presume one of the Sforzas or the Borgias) to unify italy, so i do believe that some Elites and scholars wanted to unify italy into something like Rome That Was-kinda like 19th cenutry germans
    He probably did not imagine in the end it was Second French Empire supported the idea - in order to get an United States of Europe based on Paris as capital.

I am glad Prussians and rest of Germans kicked Frenchs' butt in Franco-Prussian War.

yeh, OP read 'The Prince' it's a great read and shows some insight into the period of the italian wars
    Ya, The Prince did provide certain weakness of Italian states during 16th Century, but it is quite like Greek philosophy, not practical in most situations.

Indefinitely Banned

He probably did not imagine in the end it was Second French Empire supported the idea - in order to get an United States of Europe based on Paris as capital.
    oh the irony lol

I am glad Prussians and rest of Germans kicked Frenchs' butt in Franco-Prussian War.
    of course, man
    it's Germany, france got lucky with napoleon, but the Holy Roman Empire Lives!

Ya, The Prince did provide certain weakness of Italian states during 16th Century, but it is quite like Greek philosophy, not practical in most situations.
    i think it's great for military/political psychology though; that bit where machiavelli talks about whether or not to build forts and its impact on the people

Indefinitely Banned

delete

DAVIDE's Avatar QVID MELIVS ROMA?

The most important cause of political break up in Italia was of the fact that the peninsula was the headquarter of papacy and the ideal center of the empire. This prevented the creation of a poweful national state so strong to prevail the others, forbibbing the unification of the whole peninsula. Also the papacy whenever a foreigner emperor with peaceful or military intentions tended to unification was coming close to Italia, papacy was usual calling the aid/support of another state, enemy of the first one with the intentions of fighting it. And if this last state during the fight was going to have some military or terrestrial advantage, the papacy immediately was ready forging brandnew alliances with the one just kicked out. A non stop swing of alliances for keeping in the right balance the forces of the states close to the Papal state and not only those. This is how things worked here.
    Last edited by DAVIDE; November 08, 2010 at 02:24 PM.

Indefinitely Banned

so why didnt the pope(s) attempt to reunify the italian peninsula?
    plenty of popes were warlike enough to get it done

Pope wants not unified Italy, but unified West Europe under his rule.

Indefinitely Banned

Pope wants not unified Italy, but unified West Europe under his rule.
    one step at a time lol
    even the most novice players of M2:TW know to get northern italy first

one step at a time lol
    even the most novice players of M2:TW know to get northern italy first
    Apartly Pope Gregory VII did not agree with you.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Thunder-ten-tronckh View Post
    What? The Florentines becoming a nation with the milanese? The Pisans with the Genovese? Quelle Horreur!

I believe the Italians might have been following on from the tradition of the ancient greek city states, whereby the city is seen as the ideal political unit, and exerts influence over the surrounding region. There was a lot of mayorialism (in constrast to nationalism, haah)
    They're still very city-centered from what I saw there. Also Genoa and Venice were republics why would they want a king?
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

I actually appreciate the hijacking of this thread so please carry on.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Yes but as you said only some elites. In the other hand people wasn't ready for a unification of the Italian peninsula because they were too different (Lombard, Sicilian, Venetian couldn't understand each other, their languages were too much different), in fact the Italian identity was artificially engineered by the Savoy dinasty, the Fascist regime and lately by the First Republic.

hardly they had the power to do that the papacy was one city not a whole population,the borgias tried but they didnt even had solid political legitimacy
    immagine italy without the pope, already with the longobards italy could had a base for a unified state
    similar of what happened in france with the franks,even better

Quote Originally Posted by Principe Alessandro View Post
    Yes but as you said only some elites. In the other hand people wasn't ready for a unification of the Italian peninsula because they were too different (Lombard, Sicilian, Venetian couldn't understand each other, their languages were too much different), in fact the Italian identity was artificially engineered by the Savoy dinasty, the Fascist regime and lately by the First Republic.

and that was because of all the people that arrived in italy,it was just a big mess
    still there were some common grounds for the peoples of italy to unite,dante could speak with frederick 2's poets

maybe what happened in the 19th would have happened in 13th without the pope,the south conquesting the north this time,the empire was strong enough
    Last edited by Caesar Germanico; November 09, 2010 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Germanico View Post
    hardly they had the power to do that the papacy was one city not a whole population,the borgias tried but they didnt even had solid political legitimacy
    immagine italy without the pope, already with the longobards italy could had a base for a unified state
    similar of what happened in france with the franks,even better
    You don't understand that in those times states were build upon the ownership of a particular dinasty. In fact a Italian Kingdom was already created by Charlemagne but embraced only Northern Italy where Carolingian successors ruled. The idea of "Nation" was almost non existent.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Germanico View Post
    and that was because of all the people that arrived in italy,it was just a big mess
    still there were some common grounds for the peoples of italy to unite,dante could speak with frederick 2's poets

maybe what happened in the 19th would have happened in 13th without the pope,the south conquesting the north this time,the empire was strong enough
    Dante still is irrilevant because I'm talking about the common folk. And anyway there is no proof about this so called common ground. For example the languages of Northern Italy are more related with the languages of southern France than with the Sicilian or the Fiorentino, this means that the people felt they were related with the people of southern France?

Remember: "Fatta l'Italia, bisogna fare gli Italiani"

the idea of nation did nt exist anywhere back then,the french kingdom was just the ile de france
    the kingdom of italy created by charlemagne was the kingdom of the longobards (all of the longobards king claimed to be "rex totius Italiae"),the problem was that he gave land to the pope and without the royal house of the longobards there was no real dynasty and so the south was lost

Thus ended Lombard Italy, and nobody can say whether it was, for our country, a fortune or a misfortune. Alboin and his successors were awkward masters, more awkward than Theodoric, until they had been barbarians camped on a conquest territory. But now they were assimilating with Italy and could turn it into a Nation, as the Franks were doing in France.
    But in France there wasn't the Pope. In Italy, there was.

—Indro Montanelli - Roberto Gervaso, L'Italia dei secoli bui

liutprand 's kingdom was nt the mess of early longobard italy,it was a true kingdom,longobards were becoming more latin than germans
    Last edited by Caesar Germanico; November 10, 2010 at 11:42 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast