Thread: Neromaris Mod Manager: Online Mod Management

Default Neromaris Mod Manager: Online Mod Management

Hey everyone;

I've been secretly working on a project to automate most of the RTW coding aspects in a web-based environment, written in PHP.

Neromaris Mod Manager: Online Mod Management

The basic idea of the NMM is to move most of the RTW coding to a web-based environment, with these reasons:

It is quicker:
    When NMM is complete, you will be completely coding AND balancing a unit in, let's say, 30 seconds, whereas it takes a lot of time and discussing to choose proper values for every stat when you do it by hand.

It is easier:
    Since everything is done in web forms, you won't have to look at any tutorials to make properly working code. Thus allowing any team members to code anything implemented in NMM.
    Using Historians might be the biggest breakthrough, since IE most of the time they know what equipment and rank a unit has, and the coder does not.
    With NMM you also don't have to use three separate files for adding Character Traits to your mod, but it's centralized in a single step-by-step guide.

It is bugproof:
    Because PHP, just as the probably used C++ in RTW, can evaluate statistics, it can also make sure that invalid stats won't appear in our mods. You will get a warning message if you want to put your 256'th model into the database, or your 512'th unit, or whatever limits there are. And if you want to delete a model from the database, which is still in use by x units, you'll get a message that you first have to delete unit x from the db.

We can make it do anything RTW can do:
    Again, since PHP is a programming language, we can make NMM give you all the options available in RTW, even when most of you don't know them yet. For example: Which modding team has ever used multiple upgrades of buildings? I think you can count them on one hand (FATW and EB IIRC), while a big opportunity is being missed there. And Religions in RTW 1.5 are possible, even though they're not implemented. With NMM giving you the right options, it's very easy to get it done.

What I have planned so far:

Easy to use installer for modding categories, like:
    -Units & Buildings
    -Character Traits, Ancillaries and Character Names:
    -Character Names
    -Strategy Map

File Uploader, for:
    -Importing data from your current mod's txt files
    -Mod files like small patches for internal alphas/betas/RCs

- - - - - - - -

There are probably some cons also, especially on the security field, but the TWC is a varied audience and I bet there are people more skilled in PHP/MySQL than me, who can teach me how to better secure the code, or help me with development.

Enough for the introduction part now. Here's the mod manager for how far it's done now:

http://www.riseofpersia.com/nerocms/index.php

If you wish to contribute to this project in any way, let it be designing, scripting, commenting, or proposing new features, please register at the forums I've set up for it at z14.invisionfree.com/totalwardb, or reply in this thread.

-Nero
    Last edited by Nero666; February 26, 2007 at 04:39 AM.
    Automating RTW Coding and Balancing with PHP and MySQL (online)

Lead developer of:

Latest RoP Release: ROP v2.2
    Under the Patronage of the magnificent Rez

Kaweh's Avatar Aerani

Default Re: Automatized (Online) RTW coding and balancing

I had a look at the preview... and damn , as a modder I have to say: This will ease work ALOT. It will make coding easier, faster, and less bugs will accur. This is amazing, Nero! Amazing. Hope to see something like that for M2TW too - damn this wil speed up progress!

K.K

SIBLESZ·CRANDAR·SIMETRICAL​·DARTH VADER·KAWEH·RAVEN DARKWING·KALOS
    · PROUD MEMBER OF ROMA SURRECTUM II ·

vikrant's Avatar The Messiah of innocence

i have seen ur work
    at rop forum which is brillient {i have tried it }
    and was wondering why dint u relesed it on twc
    but i guess u must have some reasons
    great work btw !
    Under the Patronage of CHANDRASHEKHAR AZAD {prarara}
    patron of selenius4tsd ; tornnight
    use report button to help us keep twc clean

Thanks KK and Vikrant

I've planned to convert this tool to M2 once it's out, but that obviously is far away. But because it's far away, I can learn alot in the mean time (will also start learning C++ this year at school).

And I obviously didn't show it on TWC before since it was too premature, until this week in which I've made alot of progress (mainly the Import function for the descr_model_battle.txt file).

Lead developer of:

Sinuhet's Avatar Preparing for death

Ave Nero666!

I like your idea as you described it. I will try it, but theoretically viewing, it is project with huge potential and it sholud have really great impact on the real RTW/M2TW modding (shorter development cycle of mods ....)

Bye Sinuhet
    My TW games "Battle Formations" projects:
    Sinuhet's ETW Formations v2.0 – for ETW
    Sinuhet's Battle Mechanics v5.0 – for MTW2
    Sinuhet's Battle Mechanics v3.0 – for MTW2
    Sinuhet's AI Battle Formations v7.0 – for RTW 1.5

In Patrocinivm Svb HorseArcher

Kaweh's Avatar Aerani

Yeah, Sinuhet speaks out of my mind: this will shorten and ease the whole development progress. Not to speak about less possible bugs, etc...

K.K

SIBLESZ·CRANDAR·SIMETRICAL​·DARTH VADER·KAWEH·RAVEN DARKWING·KALOS
    · PROUD MEMBER OF ROMA SURRECTUM II ·

Got some progress again.
    Just started writing the export function for the descr_model_battle file, and it's working fully as intended so far. Getting the structure right was rather hard. Will keep you updated with posts in this colour from now on.

Lead developer of:

Am now about 50% done with the export function. Now I'm this far, I've got enough skill to finish the project and publish it.

Lead developer of:

Average British Student

Nero666 I just check it out and wow , a very well done

Thanks alot Wipeout

Btw I've just tested my export function yesterday, and used the export in my RTW. It turned out to work flawlessly Going to work on the EDU import/progress/export functions starting today.

Lead developer of:

Almost finished the EDU import function, which took me longer than expected since I had less spare time. Works pretty cool. When I've finished this, plus the processing part and the export function, I think I'm ready to release this project as a download for mod teams etc.

Lead developer of:

Default Re: Neromaris Mod Manager: Online Mod Management

I've worked on this project some more lately, and have rewritten all of its code, to give it a better structure (making it very easy to install new parts, once I'm done).

Also, it now has a name: Neromaris Mod Manager.

You can check the current status at:
    http://www.riseofpersia.com/nerocms/index.php

Please note that, currently, there isn't much action yet. The main thing I've been working on lately, is browsing from category to category nicely, and implementing a templates system.

Lead developer of:

MCM's Avatar Saint of lost causes

This is awesome stuff and a major breakthrough

I am very impressed!

Holy cow this is awesome.

Do you know how many or if any other mods use this? We need the community to embrace professional tools such as this.
    Count no man happy until he is dead.

Thus far no mod is actively using this tool, as it is quite incomplete still.
    Because PHP doesn't support Unicode text properly yet, there's no foolproof way of importing all the text files used by rtw. Main reason that nobody's using it yet is because it's a one-man-effort so far, and I don't have enough time on my hands to get it done. So if anyone is skilled with PHP, preferably object-oriented, let's get in touch with each other.

Lead developer of:

Nero, I'll see if its OK with Bulg to get some sort of interview or at least and advertisement of this in the ES issue. This could be very beneficial to the modding community
    Whoever gives nothing, has nothing. The greatest misfortune is not to be unloved, but not to love.
    -Albert Camus

'
    404 Error

Sorry, the page you requested could not be found. It may have moved to a new location. Please use the navigation at the top to help you locate the page you are looking for. Alternatively, you could use the Search option.
    To go to the main page of this site, please click the link below:
    http://www.riseofpersia.com/
    '

Sadly seems no longer awayable?

I would be very happy if you could make your source open public, upload it somewhere:
    Maybe make it open source? For example sourceforge (there you get free space and sites to host open source projects) in http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/t...hp?form_cat=66
    I also know php and java so I would try to help if you are still interested.
    I think your idea has a big potential, especial because that way a whole team can work on a mod thogether and (possible) saving changes in database.
    Better than every team member do things of their own with the need to merge things then again.
    Feel free to PM me.
    Last edited by max_minimod; November 20, 2008 at 07:06 PM.

Hey, thanks for your interest. Unfortunately I haven't been working on this project for quite some time, as doing it for rtw or m2tw no longer has my eyes set on it. Perhaps when ETW goes public I'll restart the project

Lead developer of:

Great you still check this thead .
    PM me when you are again on your Mod Manager, or want to give the code to public.

It's too bad this was never finished. Could have made modding a lot easier!