Thread: Anyone use 0 recruitment?

Miles

Default Anyone use 0 recruitment?

Just curious if anyone plays RTRPE with 0 turn recruitment. Any feedback positive or negative would be appreciated.

Default Re: Anyone use 0 recruitment?

There is a mod like that?

Christianus's Avatar Miles

It easy to do yourself in the "export_descr_unit.txt"

type roman velite
    dictionary rtr_roman_velite
    category infantry
    class missile
    voice_type Light_1
    soldier roman_velite, 40, 0, 0.8
    mount_effect horse -8, camel -4, chariot +4, elephant +2
    attributes sea_faring,hide_improved_forest,hide_long_grass,can_sap,very_hardy
    formation 1.6, 2, 3.2, 4, 6, square
    stat_health 1, 0
    stat_pri 10, 20, javelin, 52, 6, thrown, archery, piercing, spear, 25 , 1
    stat_pri_attr thrown
    stat_sec 8, 20, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, sword, 0 , 0.15
    stat_sec_attr no
    stat_pri_armour 2, 9, 4, flesh
    stat_sec_armour 0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat 1
    stat_ground 4, 0, 4, 0
    stat_mental 22, normal, trained
    stat_charge_dist 30
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 1, 418, 80, 52, 56, 245
    ownership romans_julii, romans_brutii, romans_senate

Edit the "stat_cost" on the velites for example. change the first number from 1 to 0. Easy as that...

I use it, and like it. I tend to buy only mercs because Im too lazy to wait for my own units to be built in 1 or 2 turns.
    Last edited by Christianus; August 30, 2006 at 11:10 AM.
    Ὦ ξεῖν', ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ὅτι τῇδε
    κείμεθα, τοῖς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι.
    - Σιμωνίδης ὁ Κεῖος

come on christianus it will take too long open up export_descr.unit.txt find anyunit ant copy the stat_cost whit the 3 or 1 it doesnt matter , then find the button (replace all i think) and then paste the stat cost that you coppied into both, at the first one type 1 at the other 0 ir then 2 , 3 and so on... the same whit buildings ant it only takes around 5 min piece of cake

Siddyus's Avatar Biarchus

I use 0 turn recruitment and I also changed all infantry units to its maximum 240 soldiers per unit(much like SPQR mod) and I must say that--Its very challenging especially when you are running on BI engine.

Here you go:

0Turns Recruitment for RTR PE1.6

Download this and paste Export_Descr_Units in Data file (replace on prompt)

All recruitment times now take 0 turns...

I personally prefer this method because it enables you (and the AI) to build up armies quickly so there are more battles

Coupled with Metro-Naval mod (no walls) it also means that cities change hands very often...

Enjoy!

EDIT: Ill do one for buildings as well if you want...

Thanks to ARCHER29 for the amazing banners!! (I need to work out how to make it actually show the slideshow)

EB vs RTR!!!

Miles

Wow, thanks for all the replies.

I'm familiar with how to update units to be 0 recruitment, just curious how the game handled such a change. I'm a big fan of SPQR mod and am very used to having 0 recruitment....which also makes it tough to readjust to spending 1, 2 or 3 turns to recruit 1 unit in all other mods.

Anyway, I know SPQR was designed for 0 recruitment, so wanted to see how RTR plays set up like that.....and from the sounds of it, it handles it no problem

SidBurn: good idea upping the max unit size to 240, I'll have to remember to do that.

LegionairosMatt: didn't realized MNM got rid of walls, that's pretty cool.....gets repedative spending the time to take a cities walls.

How can I change the max number of troops to 240? and how do I change some cities to have no wall?

Thanks for any advice

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Regarding the 0 turn recruitment, I believe I've read somewhere that the AI still recruit one unit each turn as that's the way the engine was suppose to think. Anyone with more experience in this technical aspect can confirm or deny this info.

Anyway, if that seems to be the case, the 0 turn recruitment will only benefit the player, and not the AI. The player can easily spam units especially when seeing an enemy stack coming towards the city. That is also I believe in SPQR mod, the creator (LT) created the garrison script to help the AI especially during sieging.

However, in my own Imperator II mod , I do make all AOR units (foot soldiers only, infantry & missiles) have 0 turn recruitments, but they're basically weaker (moral/stats) than regular units and slightly more expensive then original RTR/RTRPE unit upkeeps.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

^^^^Good idea AngryTitusPullo. I personally believe that takes the fun
    out of the game unless it is what AngryTitusPullo did.
    Whoever gives nothing, has nothing. The greatest misfortune is not to be unloved, but not to love.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by AngryTitusPullo
    Regarding the 0 turn recruitment, I believe I've read somewhere that the AI still recruit one unit each turn as that's the way the engine was suppose to think. Anyone with more experience in this technical aspect can confirm or deny this info.

Anyway, if that seems to be the case, the 0 turn recruitment will only benefit the player, and not the AI. The player can easily spam units especially when seeing an enemy stack coming towards the city. That is also I believe in SPQR mod, the creator (LT) created the garrison script to help the AI especially during sieging.

However, in my own Imperator II mod , I do make all AOR units (foot soldiers only, infantry & missiles) have 0 turn recruitments, but they're basically weaker (moral/stats) than regular units and slightly more expensive then original RTR/RTRPE unit upkeeps.
    Well, in my case.. the AI build pretty huge armies in just a few turns but not necessarily spamming. Plus, thanks to the well balanced upkeep... winning battles is a necessity or your settlements will fall pretty quickly(thanks to the little advancement of AI when it comes to sieging). Anyway, here's a screenshot...

As you can see, I am pretty much overwhelmed and in the last 10 turns--I managed to secure Sicily. Unfortunately, the AI suddenly sent alot of stacks and in just 5 years... the battle for Sicily is once again a stalemate.

Numahr's Avatar Foederatus

Sid Burn,

Your screenshot definitely shows an interesting and challenging situation. I'm now considering implementing the 0-turn recruitment in my own campaign.

But I wander how the AI copes with managing its population. As you know, LT made population growth much quicker in SPQR so that cities can still grow in spite of massive recruitments. What about your game? Can you see, and maybe post, the population graph to see if AI factions empty their cities to build massive armies, thus crushing their economy on the long-term? This is what I fear and what prevents me from using this system.

Thanks,

Numahr

Quote Originally Posted by MEGAS ALEXANDROS
    How can I change the max number of troops to 240? and how do I change some cities to have no wall?

Thanks for any advice
    To make some only some cities have walls do the following:

1. Open Data/World/Maps/Base Descr_Regions.txt and add walls to the resources line:

Code:
    Lydia				
    	Sardis				
    	seleucid				
    	Ionians				
    	149 109 127				
    	silver, marble, textiles, dogs, pigs, aor_asia, walls		
    but only on important cities that you think should have walls. After you have added 'walls' as a resource save.

2. Open Data Export_Descr_Buildings.txt and add walls to the hidden_resources line on the top...

Code:
    hidden_resources coastal_forest judaea aor_mede aor_arab aor_gaul 
    aor_medes aor_germ aor_brit aor_iber aor_italy aor_illyr aor_mace aor_greek 
    aor_dacia aor_scyth aor_punic aor_numid aor_egypt aor_galat aor_hill aor_asia 
    aor_pers aor_indi home_armenia home_germania home_illyria home_numidia 
    home_parthia home_pontus home_rome unit_carthage unit_sparta unit_corinth 
    unit_athen unit_balearic unit_rhodes unit_epirote unit_crete unit_thessa unit_syria 
    unit_sinope unit_rome sea_lanes major_port italy home_etruria home_umbria 
    trade_hub aor_celt unused baltic_coast ne_germany w_germany ce_germany c_germany e_germany walls
    then scroll down until you find

Code:
    building defenses
    {
        levels wooden_pallisade wooden_wall stone_wall large_stone_wall epic_stone_wall 
        {
            wooden_pallisade requires factions { barbarian, carthaginian, eastern, parthia, egyptian, greek, roman, } 
            {
                capability
                {
                    wall_level 0
                    tower_level 1
                }
                construction  1
                cost  400 
                settlement_min town
                upgrades
                {
                    wooden_wall
                }
            }
    but add 'and hidden_resource walls' to the requirements line

Code:
    wooden_pallisade requires factions { barbarian, carthaginian, eastern, parthia, egyptian, greek, roman, } and hidden_resource walls
    and save.

3. Open Data/World/Maps/Campaign/Imperial Campaign Descr_Strat.txt and click Edit/Find wooden_pallisade and delete all of the following (but only in cities that you dont want walls):

Code:
    settlement
    {
    	level large_town
    	region Campania

year_founded 0
    	population 6500
    	plan_set default_set
    	faction_creator romans_julii
    	building
    	{
    		type core_building governors_villa
    	}
    	building
    	{
    		type defenses wooden_pallisade
    	}
    	building
    	{
    		type hinterland_roads roads
    	}
    Code:
    settlement
    {
    	level large_town
    	region Campania

year_founded 0
    	population 6500
    	plan_set default_set
    	faction_creator romans_julii
    	building
    	{
    		type core_building governors_villa
    	}
    	building
    	{
    		type hinterland_roads roads
    	}
    and do the same for every city you dont want walls in, then search for 'wooden_wall' and delete the same stuff, then 'stone_wall' then 'large_stone_wall' then 'epic_stone_wall' but leave all the ones that you added 'walls' for in Descr_Regions file.

After you have got rid of all the walls save.

4. Open Data/World/Maps/Campaign/Imperial Campaign 'Descr_Strat_Allies' and do the same thing you did in Descr_Strat and save.

And voila! walls have been removed...

: enjoy
    Last edited by LegionairosMatt; August 31, 2006 at 06:03 AM. Reason: making it fit

Thanks to ARCHER29 for the amazing banners!! (I need to work out how to make it actually show the slideshow)

EB vs RTR!!!

Only in Rome, for recruitable generals which I renamed "Tribunatus"
    He that will not reason is a bigot, He that cannot reason is a fool, He that dares not reason is a slave.

Quote Originally Posted by Numahr
    Sid Burn,

Your screenshot definitely shows an interesting and challenging situation. I'm now considering implementing the 0-turn recruitment in my own campaign.

But I wander how the AI copes with managing its population. As you know, LT made population growth much quicker in SPQR so that cities can still grow in spite of massive recruitments. What about your game? Can you see, and maybe post, the population graph to see if AI factions empty their cities to build massive armies, thus crushing their economy on the long-term? This is what I fear and what prevents me from using this system.

Thanks,

Numahr
    Well, I must say the AI is pretty smart when it comes to management. Also, since the upkeep is pretty much balanced--they AI doesnt waste too much money and they can manage their population well.

Anyway,