Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [book launch] Roman Military History (Römische Militärgeschichte) - reconstruction trial of a roman troop list of the sixth century

Pompeius Magnus's Avatar primus inter pares

Default [book launch] Roman Military History (Römische Militärgeschichte) - reconstruction trial of a roman troop list of the sixth century

Roman Military History -
    reconstruction trial of a roman troop list of the sixth century

Römische Militärgeschichte -
    Rekonstruktionsversuch einer römischen Truppenliste des sechsten Jahrhunderts

already released!

• ISBN-10: 373478476X
    • ISBN-13: 978-3734784767

hardcover with stitch binding (or thread sewing).
    364 pages (~ 36 pages are coloured).
    An e-book version will be released also - the release date is up to the publisher (hopefully soon).

The book became finally very extensive. More than expected. This is also the reason for the delay. My initial idea was to focus the research for the military segment only - and then shifting in another book to the ciivil administration. This became quite impossible since several important civilian leaders (esp. the praetores, governors of certain provinces) very also responsible for the military administration - moreover they became military leaders. This topic cannot be ignored or shifted to another book. Both parts belong to each other. Furthermore I noticed that many misunderstandings, also in the academcal literature, are still obvious concerning the dignities like gloriossus, illustres, spectabiles etc. What does it mean? And is it possible to identify the military title and rank if just the dignity is given on stone carvings or in certain epigraphical papers?
    Yes, it is. Therefore you get also tables and schematics how those dignities were used by the late roman administration and what it means.
    Insofar my (military) Reconstruction Trial became finally a true Notitia Dignitatum of the 6th century including the civilian organisation and the hierarchy. If this leads now automatically to a name-change of my book is still not decided and will be discussed with my publisher.

What can you expect?
    Well, you get a complete list of all provinces (including separate parts e.g. Spania/Spain) and the exact title of the civilian leader - always based on sources, which are by the way always given in the COMMENTARIVM - a part which follows always after the main chapter. Those sources are including inscriptions of lead-seals, vases, carvings, tales of contemporary witnesses, several analysis of Armenian and Syrian source texts and an evaluation of Regests (esp. Gregorius Magnus for Italia). The analysis concerning the provinces includes 6th century authors like Stephanus of Byzanz who wrote his Lexicon, Hierocles who wrote probably at the beginning of the reign of Justinian and of course Gerogios Cyprus, an author who listed the provinces at the end of the 6th century. All lists are incomplete and a careful comparison was very extensive, however, it was needed.

A snapshot of the content-list concerning the civilian administration will be given below. As you can see immediately it has an high identification with the real ND of the early 5th century.

Last edited by Pompeius Magnus; April 26, 2015 at 12:47 PM.

Default Re: [book launch] Roman Military History (Römische Militärgeschichte) - reconstruction trial of a roman troop list of the sixth century

Will the book be available in English?

Default Re: [book launch] Roman Military History (Römische Militärgeschichte) - reconstruction trial of a roman troop list of the sixth century

Since most terms are quite technically - yes, I'm sure that an english version is indeed possible. On the other hand some footnotes of certain units are very extensive and are written on 1,5 pages. In those cases I need some professional help, but I'm sure something can be done. In any case I may say that 40% of the explanations are written in latin, greek, even aethiopic and some arabian terms as well. I'm quite sure that german isn't always needed to understand where the source is coming from. Furthermore each chapter contains a list first (like in the original ND) which lists the units - and the pages after are detailing the units, their commanders and even a list of all castra and citadels (arx) is given at the end of each chapter.

By the way, the post#1 is still under construction. So you can expect more information from time to time and of course a content list.

jermagon's Avatar Domesticus

Congratulations Pomps cant wait to see the English copy

George Galloway ''You don't give a damn !!!!!!!!''

Congratulations PM for the book. You r an "Ιστορικός" Bravo

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Congratulatuins

Gäiten's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Where may I order it?

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gäiten View Post
    Where may I order it?
    Let's rephrase your question: when may I order it? And the answer is: when you've finished RR.

And congrats, PM! I'm looking forward to reading it.
    Last edited by Joar; June 07, 2013 at 03:49 AM.

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Congratulations Pompeius Magnus! It´s a great shame I didn´t speak German.

Sertorio's Avatar Domesticus

When in english i will be very interested in reading/owning it. Congratulations.
    Texture works by Sertorio, banner courtesy of Joar

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

Quote Originally Posted by Joar View Post
    Let's rephrase your question: when may I order it? And the answer is: when you've finished RR.

That's right. I should wait with the release - otherwise Gäiten will spend too much time with non-modding stuff and we have to wait for RR.

But seriously, the book fair Frankfurt (Frankfurter Buchmesse 2013) is from the 9th. to 13th. Oktober.
    And my publisher expects that he can release it until mid of this year - so that the book can be shown on the book fair.

Gäiten's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Well I have gotten motivated again. However I am far more curious about your book about the Sassanians.

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

elendir's Avatar Libertus

Congratulations. Seeing how much I enjoy your threads, I can't wait for your book. Would you consider publishing an electronic version as well? That could help people with limited or absent knowledge of German with the translation.

edit: I have carried out another upload of the picture shown in post#1 since some User have trouble to see images uplaoded with picupload.de. I hope everybody can see the image in post#1 now. If this is not the case please let me know.

@elendir
    thank you for your support.
    The problem with an electronic version of such an extensive work (let's say a PDF file) is that it could be spreaded within few weeks within the community. In that case I will be the bereaved. However, I also know that it is not difficult today to put a book on a scanner and share the scanned pages with others.
    Well, we will see. But that's something which can be answered in the future.

elendir's Avatar Libertus

I see your point. Looking forward to the release. :-)

Deutschland's Avatar East of Rome Mod Leader

Hey can u name a more specific date now?

I m craving to see this new book in full detail

Any news on the book, it is already september

post #1 updated.
    I'm sure that answeres your question.

Regards
    pm

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Hey this looks great Pompeius! I'll have to order a copy!

A quick question: were the Hiberi still around in the 6th Century?

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Crikey - can't believe I missed this thread! Congratulations, PM! This will be on my top shelf of reading to be done!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast