Thread: Armagohma

Default Armagohma

I finished my Long Campaign with the Zora today, and it was glorious. The only real trouble I ran into were these absolutely ridiculously powerful monstrosities called Armagohma. He must have had like 8 companies of the things scattered throughout his empire, and just one of those could wipe out an army if I didn't take 'em down fast, preferably with cannon fire at long rage. If I didn't take them out with my initial volley, I could pretty much say goodbye to my army. One shot would wipe out a huge chunk of my infantry, which would prompt the others to panic and run. And even if I made it up to the things (I charged with cavalry a couple of times), it simply butchered everything nearby and moved on. And those things are REALLY accurate. I hate 'em!

Short of shooting it directly with a cannon, does anyone have any advice on how to take these beasts down? If I didn't have heavy artillery, I honestly don't know how I could have possibly beat the things.

Any suggestions? I'm playing the Kokiri now, and taking their capitol is a victory condition. I'd really like to prepare accordingly, 'cause I absolutely hate those things.

(Was still a glorious campaign, and I gotta admit, victory felt good. Kinda felt like fighting the Reapers from Mass Effect, now that I think about it.)

Avatar of the Ice Wolf's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Armagohma

A few tips for fighting Armogohma.

1. If you are fighting them with ranged soldiers, widen the formation to limit the impact of their blasts.

2. Do not engage with cavalry, as the charge will be useless. Only use cavalry if you are Ordana, Hyrule, or Gerudo, as the cavalry of these races have decent melee stats and numbers. However, it is still not recommended, as you will still take high losses.

3. You are already doing the best thing you can against Armogohma. Siege weapons are the most efficient counter.

4. Unlike cavalry, cavalry archers and their derivatives are effective against Armogohma.

5. If you must engage in melee, widen the formation until you are close, then tighten at the approach. High tier spearmen are recommended. Expect heavy losses if you are using anything else in melee. (Zora are kinda screwed in that regard.)

West: Foranar- Azurita - The Redeemer - Sinteiria - Sakotae the Guardian (Tavia) - Saleria
    East: Nerise - Kiril

yes do as avatar says and if you must engage in melee, attempt to surround them and perhaps split your batallions up to limit the amount of damage you sustain from their ranged attack
    I shall consume... consume everything

Coffeemancer's Avatar Foederatus

Same problem with those dashed ziggerauts.
    Only catapults will kill them, don't you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeemancer View Post
    Same problem with those dashed ziggerauts.
    Only catapults will kill them, don't you know?
    archers work as well, but its a shame certain units are immune to close combat
    I shall consume... consume everything

Oh you want to take care of those Scythe Lords?

Well let's just route them with Bigbli-oh they're all dead.

Well tried and tested Miniblins wil- all dead.

Boars? Dead.

Mercanaries? All dead.

WELL SCREW IT THEN HAVE THE ARBITER GROUNDS YOU SONS OF *******.

whenever fighting an enemy with ridiculously high defense and hit points and you don't have any siege weapons then definitely go for javelins or another ranged unit with high penetration like crossbows. I know not too many factions have anything like that but if you do, then do it. I remember I took down Sauron in TATW with a single unit of Pelargir Marines because armor is almost useless against javelins.

Thank you all for the suggestions, I'll try to bear them in mind in the future. And thank you for those particular pointers, Avatar. It's also somewhat pleasing to know that the Zora naturally have a problem, since I was getting absolutely destroyed by those things unless I used cannons.

In my Kokiri campaign, I've been at war with pretty much everyone the entire game except, oddly enough, the Gohma and the Lizalfos, who are the two factions I'm supposed to be at war with. And while I've pretty much crippled everyone else, I'm not looking forward to the Gohma war. I'm not really too concerned about the Lizalfos, but I'm dreading the Armagohmas. I'll try to apply the suggestions I've heard, but so far I'm not terribly impressed with Kokiri siege weaponry (Those catapults are REALLY inaccurate), so I doubt that'll help me much. A cavalry charge would be suicide, and I doubt my infantry will fair much better. I guess I'll just swarm them with everything I've got in loose formation and pray for the best.

I'll try and let you know how that goes.

Emrys's Avatar Primicerius

With the Kokiri their Emerald Archers in loose formation can eat away at the Armaghoma. They borderline OP but they get the job done.

Coffeemancer's Avatar Foederatus

Did a skirmish against the Stalfos today with the chaps from Ikana. Now, I am sure their charioteers are superb, but I wonder if they should kill General Onox in just a few volleys...?
    That being said, by Jove the other Stalfoses (stalfi?) did not go down easy! Not their heroes or those confounded scythe lords, anyhow.

@Darth Brony

As Kokiri, only use your melee as a meat shield. The Armogohma can do less collateral damage in melee than they can at ranged, so if you start having problems, sacrifice some melee soldiers to keep your ranged soldiers shooting. As Emrys pointed out, your Emerald Archers are your best bet. However, never underestimate your slingshots. Get a lot of those. As long as they have line of sight, they can do good damage. Essentially, the Kokiri way of fighting is melee = meat shield, ranged = damage.

West: Foranar- Azurita - The Redeemer - Sinteiria - Sakotae the Guardian (Tavia) - Saleria

Well, I Just finished my Kokiri campaign last night at one in the morning, and I did indeed win, and I think I'll try and post my overall thoughts in another post. But I said I'd post what happened with the Armagohma, and so I will.

I had Saria, my primary general, leading a huge force against the Gohma capitol, which had three Armagohma companies inside. Unfortunately, I never was able to build Emerald Archers. I'm not entirely sure why. There was a certain point in my game where upgrading cities no longer yielded the new buildings necessary to build new units. (It was the fourth upgrade. Fortress to Citadel, I think?) So I was stuck using Wolfos Riders, Grove Watchers, Slingshots, and MASSES of Minutemen the entire game. Oh, and the Barricades.

I used my infantry as a distraction as my wolfos riders charged in the opposite gate, opened by my cleverly placed spies. Unfortunately, the distraction lasted all of twenty seconds with the Armagohma blowing my troops to to bits. They panicked and ran, while my cavalry managed to start the countdown to victory. That got the enemy's attention. While they returned to deal with the cavalry, my troops managed to regather their courage, form ranks, and charge again.

I lost that battle. But in the process, I managed to take down all three companies of the Armagohma. IN the confusion, they charged into the middle of my masses of infantry. It was my slingshots who took down a couple of them, until they got charged. The last two ARmagohma, for reasons I don't understand, ran up pretty close to my barricades that were stuck outside the city and died in the process of destroying them. So while I lost an entire army (Minus Saria and a handful of troops who escaped), I managed to destroy all of the Armagohma. ANd that's pretty much all the damage I did. I then attacked with my second full army (I had about 7 spread throughout my empire. Everyone hated me), and that army crushed the Gohma with relative ease. Then I just had to hold the fort 'til victory.

It was pretty glorious, though incredibly challenging once I faced the Armagohma. And while I still feel the Armagohma are a wee bit more powerful than they should be (the only reason I killed the ones I did is because the A.I. was stupid enough to charge and occasionally seemed to not be able to decide what to do), it was rather fun and rewarding taking them down. I just hope the next race I play either has a more reliable counter to the Armagohma or can avoid fighting them at all.

If you play as Hylians, you can take down the Gohma before they churn out the Armogohma. Even if they do build them, the Hylians have plenty of counters. (Crossbows are good. Castle Guards/Ironclads are exceptional in melee. Trebs work. Cavalry is not totally useless. )

As the Hylians, Avatar of the Ice Wolf has the right idea, though I would mention that Repeating Crossbows do better than the Trebs, but aren`t in the campaign yet. Crabs from Lanayru, Bigoctos from Zora, and Deku Trees of Kokiri are good cav to use on them. The only time I would recommend melee as the best choice on them is the Darknuts. close the distance with Initiates anf Fokka and finish of with the heavy infantry, as they utterly crush Armogohma in melee