Thread: Question Regarding Conquered Foreign Cities

Default Question Regarding Conquered Foreign Cities

I've noticed that when I take certain cities, certain buildings are labeled as "Infested", "Civilized", or "Barbaric". I understand that this basically means it was built by a different faction, but does it mean anything more than that? Is there any reason why I should consider destroying a building and replacing it with one of mine, or does it not really make a difference?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

(I apologize if this information has already been posted somewhere and I just somehow missed it)

Jakeford's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Question Regarding Conquered Foreign Cities

there is no reason why you should destroy a building that was built by another faction, unless it is spreading a different religion

Alright, thank you. Glad to have that cleared up.

If a building isn't giving the player any bonuses then their is no point to keeping it and can be removed if wanted

Aren't there buildings that cause unrest if removed? (I didn't test this out, but I'd imagine if I conquered a city and a few turns later started tearing down churches the native inhabitants would be P.O.ed)

I think that did happen to me, Duke Serkol. As the Zora, I wanted to purify the cities filled with the Infested structures of the Gohma. I'm not entirely sure what it was I tore down that made them so mad, but the city's happiness went from green to red. Rioting began next turn. Wish I remembered exactly what triggered it.

Avatar of the Ice Wolf's Avatar Praeses

You don't want to purge Gohma structures. Nearly all the Gohma stuff gives much-needed public order.

West: Foranar- Azurita - The Redeemer - Sinteiria - Sakotae the Guardian (Tavia) - Saleria
    East: Nerise - Kiril

But it's impure!

We must burn and spread salt on the ashes!

@Duke Serkol

Ok, although the consequences of losing public order are still present, purging Gohma structures is allowed for roleplaying purposes.

West: Foranar- Azurita - The Redeemer - Sinteiria - Sakotae the Guardian (Tavia) - Saleria

I do often put a festering mound of arachnid feces in my yard to keep the neighbors passive.

Just play the Gohma and infest the land with death, decay, and high public order

Coffeemancer's Avatar Foederatus

Here's an idea for the barbaric factions: give them a fourth option when conquering a settlement, "Enslave populace". Like in ol' Rome.
    One can easily imagine that the Gerudo, moblin and Lizalfos would have slaves.
    Though I muct confess my ignorance when it comes to coding and such so I do not know if it is implementable at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeemancer View Post
    Here's an idea for the barbaric factions: give them a fourth option when conquering a settlement, "Enslave populace". Like in ol' Rome.
    Though I muct confess my ignorance when it comes to coding and such so I do not know if it is implementable at all.
    The three options are hardcoded and cannot be changed.

Jakeford's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeemancer View Post
    The Gerudo having slaves? I don't know, they seem to have atidude of independence, as for the moblins they would probably just kill the people they capture not enslave them.

Quote Originally Posted by HTD View Post
    The three options are hardcoded and cannot be changed.
    Alas.

Eh. I had a suggestion before regarding this. Wasn't considered up-to-snuff, but I'll state it again here anyway since we're on the topic.

In Medieval II, the three options you have work as follows, and cannot be changed. Occupy Settlement grants a small amount of cash and does not order the killing of civilians (improves global standing). Sack Settlement kills some civilians and grants the highest amount of cash (decreases global standing). Exterminate Population kills off the highest amount of people possible while generating a moderate amount of cash (greatly decreases global standing).

These options work in Medieval II since everyone is human. When you have a bunch of different races in a game like Hyrule: Total War, I think the options should be tweaked a bit to reflect your race's policy toward the conquered people. As the function cannot be changed, I believe the titles should be altered to grant the player a more involved and immersive feeling. After all, a lot of the appeal is shaping Hyrule into the way you want it. Even minor cosmetics like option names could go a long way toward creating the feel that you are influencing the world in the way you want.

Occupy Settlement replacement -- Integrate Populace: Essentially, this replaces the government of the settlement and integrates the current inhabitants of the settlement into your empire, either by the villagers' own conformity (in the case of a similar faction. i.e. Hylians took an Ordonian village) or by re-education (in the case of incompatible cultures. i.e. Hylians took a Moblin village). ME 2 already takes into account the negative impacts on public order in the cases of differing religions, civil unrest, etc. For this reason, resistance to integration is already accounted for. This policy explains the minimal deaths from the takeover of another race, as well as the low amount of plunder, as resources would have to be put into the integration programs. The global standing increase would be explained by the appearance of relative peacefulness and tolerance towards other races that such a policy would imply. In other words, you're not genocidal or out to enslave everyone. That's a lot more than can be said for a lot of factions.

Sack Settlement replacement -- Enslave Population: My basic justification for this name shift is twofold. First, the relatively free labor from enslavement would explain the amount of cash received from taking the settlement. Second, several races have stated in their goals a desire to enslave other races (such as Okakusha the Green's desire to enslave the Kokiri). The initial killing crushes resistance while the decrease in global standing is obviously from other races' weariness at the prospect of facing a faction that would enslave them if they lose.

Exterminate Population replacement -- Massacre Population: This doesn't change much. Actually, you could probably keep the "exterminate" if you wanted to. You murder pretty much anyone you can get your hands on. That's it. Considering that half the races in HTW are genocidal in some way or another, this makes sense. The decrease in global standing for being genocidal is obvious.

You could also have the massacre option be "run undesirables out of town and seize their assets" for more "good" aligned factions.
    You still get a population drop and some pennies for your treasury.

Is it possible to give different labels to these options for different factions?

@Coffeemancer

Although the number of innately "good" factions are quite low (even Hylians and Zora are genocidal at times), I do see your point. I would then change it to "Cleanse Settlement" which pretty much removes all these "undesirables." I'll leave it ambiguous (either by killing or running them out of town) to allow for some player interpretation/imposing their desires.

@Duke Serkol

That is a good question...

EDIT: Double Post.
    Last edited by Avatar of the Ice Wolf; June 11, 2013 at 07:30 PM.