Thread: Custom battle vs. CPU?

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Default Custom battle vs. CPU?

Does the AI in the custom battles for NTW2 work well? By work well I mean can the AI handle simple Napoleonic tactics, or do they always, for example: stay in skirmish mode, go to loose formation when being fired upon, charge cavalry directly into the enemy infantry, fight with the general, etc.

The reason that I ask is that you (the wonderful designers at The Lordz) have stated that the single player battles are heavily scripted. Now I like playing MP games, but I'm not actually that good , so sometimes I want a quick match that is winnable, but still challenging enough to be fun.

and sorry if this has been asked and answered before.

PS. Can't wait until the 31st!
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Default Re: Custom battle vs. CPU?

I thought there was no custom battles only custom maps that have scripted AI.

Lord Zimoa's Avatar Slitherine Games
    Citizen

There is some confusion here.

NTW2 is mainly designed for MP. That is clear as here we do not encounter the RTW AI, that keeps the units on skirmish mode, stacks units upon eachother, rushes in their general, attempt suicidal uncoordinate attacks etc...

To tackle this we can only use scripts, basically telling the AI how to behave better and in a more challenging Napoleonic way. The ONLY thing we can script are historical battles, so we designed a Borodino scenario in SP that consists of several linked historical battles around the Battle of Borodino 1812.

Custom battle is available in the mod, but sadly, just like the Campaign battles it is not possible to script those. So you will be opposed in Custom battle by the RTW AI sadly. Sometimes you can have a nice battle when lucky, but we use it mainly to look at the units, test some statistics, practise some tactics, check formations, animations, bugs etc...The RTW AI will never give you the same challenge as a good MP game.

Do not be afraid the NTW MP community is very open, friendly and mature, come online if you really want to feel and experience the full potential of NTW2. We designed the SP historical scenario not to leave SP totally in the dark and after playing it, people would be attracted to try MP and have real epic battles agains human opponents. Trust me get involved into NTW2 MP, you will not regret it, you will learn quickly so do not be afraid or think you are not good enough, remember we also had to learn from scratch in the past. Another nice thing is as NTW2 is so much different to play, many people will be relatively novice in MP.

LZoF

Methoz's Avatar Senator
    Bohemia (Czech: Čechy; German: Böhmen) (CZE)

nothing campaign ?
    TotalWarForum.cz
    Česko-Slovenské fórum o hrách ze série Total War

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Do not be afraid the NTW MP community is very open, friendly and mature, come online if you really want to feel and experience the full potential of NTW2. We designed the SP historical scenario not to leave SP totally in the dark and after playing it, people would be attracted to try MP and have real epic battles agains human opponents. Trust me get involved into NTW2 MP, you will not regret it, you will learn quickly so do not be afraid or think you are not good enough, remember we also had to learn from scratch in the past. Another nice thing is as NTW2 is so much different to play, many people will be relatively novice in MP.
    And for those of us with little knowledge of the Napoleonic era we are likely to be beaten by the Lordz members, though i cannot wait to play NTW2 online, especially as im getting a new comp in the next few days and can't wait to see it in all its glory.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Lord Zimoa's Avatar Slitherine Games
    Citizen

And for those of us with little knowledge of the Napoleonic era we are likely to be beaten by the Lordz members
    Not really as we have an unwritten rule within the Lordz, always to let novice players win quite a few games to boost morale and let them mature rapidly.

We do are best to behave like Ladies and Gentlemen on and off the field, it may be old fashioned, but we like it, we have that policy at the Lordz, we gain nothing when people run away to quickly.

LZoF

hokomoko's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zimoa of Flanders
    Not really as we have an unwritten rule within the Lordz, always to let novice players win quite a few games to boost morale and let them mature rapidly.

We do are best to behave like Ladies and Gentlemen on and off the field, it may be old fashioned, but we like it, we have that policy at the Lordz, we gain nothing when people run away to quickly.

LZoF
    Burn me if I let anyone give me an unworthy victory.
    I prefer losing.
    A real Gentlemen knows there is no dishonour in losing to a worthy opponent.

most games are teamgames, so it can usualy get balanced. Unless you face a team full of beta testers and Lordz with a bunch of newbies as your allies. In that case just enjoy the massacre?

cudakite's Avatar Centenarius

I can speak from first had experience. I've been beta testing for a little over a week. and i can safely say MP games are where it's at. NTW2 is an awesome MP experience! stop at nothing to get into a game. and even though Lord Adherbal handed my a$$ to me it was still great fun

CLICKY

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

most games are teamgames, so it can usualy get balanced. Unless you face a team full of beta testers and Lordz with a bunch of newbies as your allies. In that case just enjoy the massacre?
    If that happens ill just zoom in and enjoy the graphics. Its a win-win situation really.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

is it possible to create a mp game for just 2 persons at gamespy? I would like to play this game with someone who is at the other side of the country.
    IS there a topic about this?

CvanI

hokomoko's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by CvanI
    is it possible to create a mp game for just 2 persons at gamespy? I would like to play this game with someone who is at the other side of the country.
    IS there a topic about this?

CvanI
    of course you can, GS supports games of 2-8 people.