Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A northern bastard

Default A northern bastard

It was an inauspicious day in Carlisle, at least to most of the people who lived there. However, for two people in particular it was quite the opposite. In the small house of Maldwyn Llwyd - a humble physician - a baby boy of a prestigious parentage had just been born...
    Creative Writing: (Currently on hold)
    The Domini Sepulchre
    The Sword and Quill

Default Re: A northern bastard

The sounds of childbirth subsides, and the sounds of a squalling babe filled the room after what seemed like hours of silence. A sigh of relief was heard, and a few people inside were talking in hushed whispers. The common camp follower looked down at her son, the Fitzroy, the son of the king of England, wondering what to do with this blessing and burden. The note at her side that she was instructed to open once the child had been born would surely determine her future...

The note hadn't been kept well and a majority of the latter half had been smudged to a point of illegibility. What was readable read:

milk
    eggs
    cheese
    bread
    fish
    The Domini Sepulchre
    The Sword and Quill

The woman grew quite faint upon reading the letter, unsure of what to do. With the baby still in her arms, she desperately looked towards the healer for help or advice.

The physician folded his arms.

This isn't a free service, look you. If you're going to be staying in that bed I'll need to see your coin up front.
    The Domini Sepulchre
    The Sword and Quill

Thankfully, there was some money that came with the letter - quite a large sum by common standards. The woman pulled out a few coins, still dazed, and handed them to the physician.

​What now?

People normally go home...

Maldwyn looked at the coins in his hand.

Though if you need to recuperate a bit longer you can stay here a couple of days.
    The Domini Sepulchre
    The Sword and Quill

She sighed in relief, and hoped that a second letter would come...

Fortunately, later that day, another letter arrived from the king.

If it's a boy, call him Richard. Raise him in Carlisle with the money I gave you. Ask lord Carlisle's steward to take the boy into the lord's household. Pay him if you need to, I have given you more than enough for you and the child to live comfortably.

William

This physician's house was no place to keep a child comfortably. Maldwyn would enter and exit the room in various bloodied garb as he went about his business, the groans and yells of pain announcing every time he recommenced his work. A Scottish slave came in with food for William's mistress, asking her if she required anything more.
    The Domini Sepulchre
    The Sword and Quill

The woman thanked the slave, before passing her a note to take to the steward of Lord Carlisle.

Lord Carlisle or His Steward,

Take in my son. It's the king's son. Keep him safe. His name is Richard. I will come with him in a day's time. I can pay you.

After two days of receiving no reply, the physician opened his door to Lady Eulalie de Lacquartier.
    The Domini Sepulchre
    The Sword and Quill

The woman did not recognise who had arrived, but recognised her as highborn by her dress, so she bowed her head low to her.

Eulalie looked upon the woman with her blue-green eyes, a genuine look of concern emanating from them as she spoke to the physician.

The boy, where is he?

Maldwyn merely pointed at the woman, gesturing for her to speak.
    The Domini Sepulchre
    The Sword and Quill

The common wench had a babe in her arms - Richard Fitzroy was fast asleep. She looked up at lady de Lacquartier.

​Here milady.

Eulalie approached the woman.

You are the mother?
    The Domini Sepulchre
    The Sword and Quill

She gave a small nod.

Come with me.

Eulalie pressed a coin into the physician's hand and stated the need for discretion. The woman and her son had never been here. Then, she beckoned to the woman and stepped back out through the door.
    The Domini Sepulchre
    The Sword and Quill

The woman rose sluggishly, carrying the baby out of the door.

Eulalie walked with long strides but soon slowed down as she realised she was leaving the woman and her babe behind.

I am Eulalie de Lacquartier, you and your child shall reside in the castle here until we receive word to do otherwise from the king.
    The Domini Sepulchre
    The Sword and Quill

The woman bowed her head in reverence, while the boy slept like an angel.

​Thank you, Milady. We are in your debt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast