Thread: Argh Legions!

we51ey2's Avatar Artifex

Default Argh Legions!

Its the year 240ish BC and the Romans have started churning out legions, The reforms should happen this early should they.

I playing as Carthage and defending Syracuse under seige and a single Legions beat 3 full stacks of 3 chevron Libyan. Ultimatly the city fell to the Romans.

Anyone else had this problem, the reforms seem to happen to early. Also not playing 4tpy just unmodified RTRPE.

In patronicum sub Seleucos I Nicator

we51ey2's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Argh Legions!

Am I right in beleiving that a Imperial Palace is required to trigger the Reforms?

Quote Originally Posted by we51ey2
    Am I right in beleiving that a Imperial Palace is required to trigger the Reforms?
    Yes, and if you have RTRPE v1.6 you can buid one in Rome for the reforms to take effect. This was changed from RTRPE v1.5. Here is a quote :
    COMPLETED - Swapped the game engine settlement name (Rome) for Roma with the remote city of Tara's game engine settlement name. The UI names that appear on th ecampaign map are the same, so only the game engine will know about this swap. This change will allow Roma to be a location where an imperial palace can be built to trigger the Marian Reforms.

If rome are too overpowered for your liking, check out this thread to change their expansion policies! Making them a little less aggressive might help!

Yes post Marian Legions and especialy the eagle bearing Legions are THE Uber units in RTR Platinum . They have best starts and are relativly cheap. They are challange to play against though

But it is realistic. It is said that legionaires in testudo formation can have a cart put on
    top of the shields and still stand.
    Whoever gives nothing, has nothing. The greatest misfortune is not to be unloved, but not to love.
    -Albert Camus

we51ey2's Avatar Artifex

I have no problem with them being uber units, I mean in older versions of rtw they always been overpowered but by the time they used to get them most the players armies were stacks of veteran which could match them in combat. There were stacks of legions in 240bc. I attempted a quick fix, I have made the imperial palace take 20 turns and cost 12000denari. Should hopefully perspone the reforms for at least 8 turns....

They have to have an Imperial Palace in one city in Italy:

Arretium, Ariminum, Roma, Ancona, Capua, Paestum, Confinum, Croton, Tarentum and Rhegium.

For the Marian Reforms to occur. If you want Legions to be slightly weaker you could tone them down in EDU and lower their attack, defense a little...

Thanks to ARCHER29 for the amazing banners!! (I need to work out how to make it actually show the slideshow)

EB vs RTR!!!