Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Best historical books categorized

antares24's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Best historical books categorized

Quote Originally Posted by Faridus View Post
    hello all,
    has anyone read Colleen McCullough's series about the late roman republic?
    the first book is "First Man In Rome", there are 5 or 6 books in the series...it's actually a historical novel, but it's quite good.
    yes i have read the first and was captured by it, and then i readed all of them, they're really good novels imho with a lot of historical accuracy, McCullough make a wonderful work with his characters.

Another really good historical novel i raccomend (don't know if it has already been mentioned here, this topic is too big) is Alexandros, by Valerio Massimo Manfredi, a trilogy about the life of Alexander.
    Also by the same author, the Tyrant, about Dionisus of Siracusa, and the Shield of Thalos, a really beautiful novel settled in Sparta during the Persian invasion.
    Last edited by antares24; April 17, 2008 at 08:38 AM.
    Factum est illud, fieri infectum non potest

"Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldn’t even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back.” Heraclitus

Osceola's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by IndianPrince View Post
    Can anyone suggest me some good books on Ancient India (Mauryan empire to be precise).

Prince
    I used to share the same interest, but I found out while theres quite a bit written in Sanskrit, virtually nothing in English. Strange, you'd think Osprey would be all over it.
    Team Member <3

I`m looking currently a good biography book about Napoleon Bonaparte y Mahatmma Ghandi. Could be focusssed on specific events (the campaings for napoleon, the independence movement for mahatmma, etc). But my main interest is that the book is acurate and from a thrustful writer.

Iustinianos's Avatar Centenarius

For Napoleon i'd recommend 1812, by Adam Zamoyski. It's a wonderfully detailed book about Napoleons campaign to Russia in 1812. It's a rather big book, but a wonderful source about Napoleon.
    It looks bad in the newspapers and upsets civilians at their breakfast...

Legio XII's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Bobicus View Post
    I will add "The Decline and fall of the Roman Empire" by Edward Gibbon I haven't actually read it yet, but it's pretty thick (6 cm, and I should add that this is an abridged version), so it must be good.

Also, the copyright appears to be 1960, but because of the nature of the topic, I can't imagine it's too outdated, if at all.
    It was written in the 18th century by Edward Gibbon. The whole series is seven parts long, and each volume is some 5-6 cm thick each. Quite an in depth research project actually, and not outdated in the least. An extremely good read.

As for myself, I will add "The Civil War: A Narrative" by Shelby Foote in the Wars section. It is the most in depth look at the American Civil War ever written. It is nine parts long and each part averages 3 cm in thickness each, about 300 pages each on average.

Icon1 Re: Best historical books categorized

May I recommend my comprehensive thread on this subject:

Best novels on Greco-Roman history

Faridus's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by antares24 View Post
    Alexandros, by Valerio Massimo Manfredi, a trilogy about the life of Alexander.
    i actually read the trilogy years ago, in french!!! that was good, so much stuff i didn't know about Alexander.

Jingles's Avatar Praefectus

I don't know If it's already been said, but for World war II and I

-Nemesis
    -Armageddon
    -Overlord - D-Day and the Battle for Normandy
    -Das Reich
    All by Max Hastings

- Convoy: The Battle for Convoys SC.122 and HX.229
    - The Battle of Hamburg: Allied Bomber Forces Against a German City in 1943
    - The First day on the Somme
    All by Martin Middlebrook

Well I just read Persian Fire by Tom Holland and all I can say is WOW. Really good read, i've only just started reading up on classical history for the first time since I dropped history as a subject at age 14.
    It does read like a novel almost, I was actually gutted when it ended.

Do you think there would have been world peace if Xerxes actually conquered Europe? I'm not a Persian sympathizer or anything but its an interesting thought. Would Alexander have become great if the Persian Empire had taken Europe? Its a crazy time in history. If the Greeks were beaten then the rest of Continental Europe would have surely fallen.

I'm dying to get a new book now. The next logical period is Alexander the Great. Would anyone recommend "Alexander The Great And The Hellenistic Age: A Short History " by Peter Green?

I saw it in my local book shop, is there a definitive Alexander book you would suggest instead?

Cheers people
    Thank you to all of the RTR Team.

spartan117's Avatar Ordinarius

Now I dont know where to exactly post this but.....

I have stumbled upon a historical lecture (audio file) which I downloaded. It is very interesting. I did not know such downloads were available online. I have then googled to see what free lectures I could find pertaining to history and political science. Now I am not exactly picky in what the lectures might discuss as long as it is relevant to history and/or political science.

I was wondering if anyone can post any links to websites that offer free lectures. Although I would prefer specific lectures that you may have found interesting and informative. Upon visiting the link I will then determine whether or not I would like to hear that lecture. (doesnt have to be a video lecture)

Thanks for any links that may be posted......

(Please no "dirty" links)

Guderian's Duck's Avatar Decanus
    The Jagdpanzer IV was a tank destroyer developed against the wishes of Heinz Guderian. Its large gun and heavy frontal armor led to poor mobility and made them difficult to operate in rough terrain, leading their crews to nickname them Guderian Ente; Guderian's Duck.

Carl von Döbeln's Avatar Crossing the Rubicon

Major Battle/wars

"The Thirty Years war Europe In Fire" By Lars Ericson Wolke,Göran Larsson and Nils Erik Villstrand(All of them swedish historians]
    It's a book about the first European Great War.A war when armies from all the corners of europe met on the battlefield.
    The war affected all parts of europe ,So big armies had never been essembled.
    never before had so many humans died on the battlefields.

The People behind the war,Emperors and kings,politicians and Generals, are all presented in personal portraits.
    common soldiers and their families faith is also described in the book.
    More then 350 ilustrations and maps showing diffrent aspects of the war that burned Euorope in over 30 years.
    The autors are all Leading historians that have The thirty years war as their main area

My friendly regards/Carl VD

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Von Döbeln View Post
    Major Battle/wars
    "The Thirty Years war Europe In Fire" By Lars Ericson Wolke,Göran Larsson and Nils Erik Villstrand
    Nice of you to mention the Thirty Years War because I recently finished "Wallenstein, His Life Narrated" by Golo Mann.
    It is truly a magnificent book and very well written. It requires also not too much prior knowledge about the war.

Heres an Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/Wallenstein-Li...5096282&sr=1-2

Quote Originally Posted by gsoxx View Post
    Nice of you to mention the Thirty Years War because I recently finished "Wallenstein, His Life Narrated" by Golo Mann.
    It is truly a magnificent book and very well written. It requires also not too much prior knowledge about the war.

Heres an Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/Wallenstein-Li...5096282&sr=1-2
    wAllenstein was a good general but a poor politician
    In my opinion The Count of Tilly was better..

wAllenstein was a good general but a poor politician
    In my opinion The Count of Tilly was better..
    Noooooo way.

Wallenstein killed Gustav Adolph at Lützen with his bare hands!!11! Take that!

Quote Originally Posted by gsoxx View Post
    Noooooo way.

Wallenstein killed Gustav Adolph at Lützen with his bare hands!!11! Take that!
    Actually,WALLENSTEIN Was defeated By Gustavus Even after his death
    And It was Count Picolomini's curassiers That killed Gustavus At the main road on the battlefield.
    Gustavus "Killed off" pappenheims Cavalry with HIS right hand(Johan Baner)

Actually,WALLENSTEIN Was defeated By Gustavus Even after his death
    And It was Count Picolomini's curassiers That killed Gustavus At the main road on the battlefield.
    Gustavus "Killed off" pappenheims Cavalry with HIS right hand(Johan Baner)
    Defeated by him after his death... now thats a good one.

Imagine what would have happend if W. didn't sent half his army away the day before...
    But seriously, in the end I would call this battle a draw, but thats not the right place to discuss it.

Well to end the discussion...
    Gustavus was a far more greater General Then wallenstein.
    And if wallenstein's spies wouldn't have detected the incoming swedish army ,Gustavus Would have chrushed Wallenstein.
    But in the end ,With help from Pappenheim , the imperial side inflicted heavy cassuaties on the swedes.
    And the battle would be considered tacticly to be a swedish victory,but the death of gustavus adolphus made the battle To an imperial strategicly-speaking victory.

So all-around the battle Shall be considered to a a Draw

My honest regards/Carl VD

And if wallenstein's spies wouldn't have detected the incoming swedish army ,Gustavus Would have chrushed Wallenstein.
    But in the end ,With help from Pappenheim , the imperial side inflicted heavy cassuaties on the swedes.
    And the battle would be considered tacticly to be a swedish victory,but the death of gustavus adolphus made the battle To an imperial strategicly-speaking victory.

I can surely live with that.

Sincerly yours
    gsoxx

Actually thats debatable.Wallenstein was a cautious general, definitely much different from his more illustrious opponent.Battle of the Alte Veste was a significant victory for the Empire.
    Also that he learnt in advance of the Swedish advance (Battle of Lützen) cannot be a judgement against him. That was fortunate for him, but lady luck is known to favor many a great general in their dire needs ( and desert many as well )