Thread: Modding units

Default Modding units

Is it necessary to have 3D Max to mod the units in SAI? I was wondering if changes could be made to their equipment without the need for a professional modelling programme.

Default Re: Modding units

To make changes to the unit, you'll need a modelling software, like 3ds max. However, if all you want to do is to edit the appearance of the unit, you'll need Photoshop or some other graphics editing program.

Apologies for the delay in replying, Joar; thank you for the specific answer. Would Autodesk 3ds Max do or gmax? I cannot afford the complete programme but was looking to play with some of the SAI .cas files if that were possible.

Sertorio's Avatar Domesticus

I think you do need 3ds max plus some tools you will find in the forum.
    Texture works by Sertorio, banner courtesy of Joar

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

Thanks, Sertorio. That is a bit sad as I cannot justify getting the full programme. I don't suppose any of the tool you mentioned work with anything else?

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Quote Originally Posted by 5th Lieutenant View Post
    Thanks, Sertorio. That is a bit sad as I cannot justify getting the full programme. I don't suppose any of the tool you mentioned work with anything else?
    If you let me know what you would like, perhaps I could make the adjustments for you.

That is extremely kind of you, Julianus. It was a long-held dream of pairing the SAI Roman troops with slightly earlier equipment, espeically helmets. I had wondered whether Julianus might have dreamed of equipping his troops with armour that reflected the times of Marcus Aurelius that he so admired and was thinking it might be fun to try a mod based on this (say, Imperial Italic H's for the Palatinae and Comitatenses) - possibly even Segmentata for theses as well.

I appreciate that this is heresy and you are in any case working on Restitutor Orbis so I would not want to distract you from that; I simply have a dislike of the Intercisa model (as realistic as that is).

SAI is wonderful as is, though, so this was only a peripheral idea.