Thread: Faction Friendliness/ally modding

Windrider37's Avatar Centenarius

Default Faction Friendliness/ally modding

Hey, I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but is it possible to mod the games factions so that 2 nations can be permanent allies, or permanent vassals? I wanna do this for Roleplay reasons, if its possible. I read somewhere that this stat that determines faction friendliness is hardcoded. is this true?
    My Skype and steam name is Windrider37 on both. I love chatting and playing games if someone would like to do either ^.^

Magician Reversed's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Faction Friendliness/ally modding

I've seen it done in other mods, so it must be doable. It might be possible with scripting.
    "The enemy? His sense of duty was no less than yours, I deem. You wonder what his name is, where he comes from, and if he really was evil at heart. What lies or threats led him on this long march from home, and would he not rather have stayed there... in peace?" -Faramir (The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers)

Why not make it so relations are checked every turn. Then if the relations are lowered set it back to perfect.

Can't offer anything... other than my support: this is a cool thread

A very fun suggestion; Perhaps someone working with one of the other mods that have this feature could be contacted and asked about it.

Wakerz140's Avatar Ducenarius

This is a good idea, but no factions should be permanently allies. If it works that way then a player could Declare war-Cap a city-then force peace again. Breaking balance easily.

Well there's always NPC factions. Windrider did say this was for roleplay purposes, after all.

I think Call of Warhammer has it set so allies can't be attacked unless you break off the alliance.

And it's of course a purely optional thing to use every once in a while, as stated above, for roleplay purposes.

Thrid Age Total War has that Mechanic as well. It would be fun, maybe Darknut/Gerudo vs Hyrule and Zora, ect. Plus it would bring more challenge to it as well.
    My Skype and steam name is Windrider37 on both. I love chatting and playing games if someone would like to do either ^.^

Quote Originally Posted by Encablossa View Post
    I think Call of Warhammer has it set so allies can't be attacked unless you break off the alliance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Windrider37 View Post
    Thrid Age Total War has that Mechanic as well. It would be fun, maybe Darknut/Gerudo vs Hyrule and Zora, ect. Plus it would bring more challenge to it as well.
    Several mods have it, and mods without that feature really frustrate me. Actually, I get the distinct impression that in systems where you are allowed to instantaneously betray your ally without first breaking the alliance, you only form an alliance on the grounds that they're going to backstab you later. If you anticipate it, you could, perhaps, be prepared respond as below:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

this right here ^_^

And you can do much more when you peek thru the file as well

Quote Originally Posted by DrBeast View Post
    Towards the end of descr_strat (located in \data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign), there's an entry regarding the faction standing between the existing factions, and also who they're at war and allied with. The higher the faction standing between two factions, the more they love each other.

Here's a snippet of what it looks like in TATW+MOS:

Code:
    faction_standings    dunland,        -1.0    slave
    faction_standings    dunland,        -0.3    saxons
    faction_standings    dunland,        -0.2    sicily
    faction_standings    dunland,        -1.0    milan
    faction_standings    dunland,        1.0    papal_states
    faction_standings    dunland,        0.5    england
    faction_standings    dunland,        1.0    france
    faction_standings    dunland,        0.5    hre
    faction_standings    dunland,        0.4    portugal
    faction_standings    dunland,        -0.5    turks

In this case, it means that Dunland hates the Rebels' guts (-1.0), and they absolutely love Isengard (france in TATW, 1.0)

Code:
    faction_relationships     dunland, at_war_with     milan
    faction_relationships     dunland, at_war_with     slave
    faction_relationships     dunland, allied_with     france

This means they're at war with Rohan (milan in TATW) and the Rebels, and they have an alliance with Isengard.

So, that's the part you'll need to modify. Bear in mind you'll have to start a new campaign for the effects to kick in.
    Last edited by Windrider37; June 18, 2013 at 08:52 PM.

I've been thinking about this again and was wondering... has any mod gotten this to work so that one faction is "perma-allied" with two other factions... that are NOT perma-allied to each other?

I guess the mod would have to disable the requirement to choose which faction to stay allied to if two allies declare war to each other.

I've only seen it in TATW. The Good factions (Eriador, Gondor, Rohan, Dwarves, Dale and the Elvish factions) never went to war with each other but they weren't all allied, same with the evil faction except Rhun and Harad but I think they are supposed to go to war at some point. I haven't been able to figure out why yet though.

It is certainly possible through modding of the AI, and that's all I know. Whenever I find a thread about it someone says, "Yes it can be done but you have to mod the AI" Never do they say what files or how to do it!

I wanted to do this for this mod because playing as Hyrule the start of my campaign was everyone agaisnt the Zora, then when they died the Gorons turned on Me and the Kokiri.

Hyrule, Kokiri, Zora and Gorons should never go to war IMO. I spent most of my money gifting it to other factions to keep the peace but eventually money could not buy their happiness, only war would do.

I am thinkign a good place to start though would be to make sure a faction win conditions don't include a territory that is or definitely will be controlled by the faction you want them to be allies with.

Hopefully one of the great modders of our time can stop by and shed some light into the subject for us

I am thinking a good place to start though would be to make sure a faction win conditions don't include a territory that is or definitely will be controlled by the faction you want them to be allies with.
    If I remember correctly, this entices the AI to attack whatever faction is holding required cities. correct? So we would need to change the descr_win_conditions file. And also make relations between allied factions perfect every turn to minimize infighting.

Yep, after a quick look it doesn't help much but now I know why my campaign always start with the Zora and Gorons going at it.

"

goron
    hold_regions Dominion_Valley 5
    take_regions 30
    short_campaign hold_regions Dominion_Valley 5
    take_regions 20

zora
    hold_regions Death_Mountain_Prime 5
    take_regions 30
    short_campaign hold_regions Death_Mountain_Prime 5
    take_regions 20
    "

I was expecting there to be a longer list of region but every faction just has one or two at most.

Also, most mods just rename factions, so when you look in descr_sm_faction you will still see all vanilla factions but in HTW Neph actually made all new factions. If it were still vanilla faction you could say that the vanilla coded faction relations would still be present but since I can't tell who is who it's hard to figure it out. Like say Hyrule was England and Gorons are France then that would explain why they are always going to war, cause in vanilla those factions are more likely to go to war than say Poland and the Moors.