Thread: Over Run

Default Over Run

I'm palying RTR PE with that BI.EXE. Man I finally took over Italy, i have had maybe 5 turns of peace, not at war with no one. In one turn, GAUL, carthage, Irrryianns, declared war at me. All sent more than two armies. Gaul sent 3 full stacks alone. I can't hold up in the north, with gaul, carthage I can probaly hold but the Irrayians I can't do anyhting, so any advice and how I can get out of this JAM. I have 10 armies ready for war, but half are pinned down by gauls and irryians, the remaning are protecting ROMA form carthage and a southern invasion.

Thanks for any advice.
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator

Default Re: Over Run

If your cash reserves are doing well, try mopping up the mercs in the peninsula and bribing the enemy armys. That might take some of the burden off of your men. Also counter attack ASAP if you get a breather. Its the only way to get them off of your back and into your sights..

Ha ha, sounds like you need my help, I have had this happen to me before as well, but I had taken over gaul and I was in war with carthage, spain,germany, macedon so yeah, what you need to do is ignore illyria, they are easy to kill, gaul will be a nuisnace as they can put large armies together quickly, so sent roughly 3 full stacks up there and keep on sending them recruits so the armies can remain effective, with carthage, attack the carthaginian cities on the african coast, once they are taken, they should have lost a lot of money and spain will have went to war with carthage thus making them even more weakened, dont worry, you just have to keep your armies supplied with new recruits, just destroy gaul, go on the offensive quickly, and take over gaul and spain, once thats done, you will be in a great position in regards to economy

Like Darth said going on the offensive is the best way. For me I was(and still am) in a war with Gaul, Carthage, and Macedonia, and used to have Greeks and Illyrians too, but they died off. I'm not too worried about Gauls, their troops are inferior and I am easily holding them off up north (can't remember the city). With Carthage I attacked and took over their holdings in Sicily and my fleets are doing a good job at intercepting their fleets, so they haven't landed any decent sized forces on my soil in a long while.

Now Macedonia on the other hand is a royal PITA. Their troops are about as good as the ones led by Alexander the Great, they are a tough tough enemy, and I almost went bancrupt building armies to wage war against them. but instead of going around the north of italy and attacking them from their, I started first to ship my troops to Greece and took over the cities on Greece's southern tip. Sparta, Corinth, and the third one that whose name I can't remember. That got their attention in a hurry and they soon sent two full stacks to try and take back their cities. I lost Corinth, but that allowed me a chance to take over some of their northern towns. I took Corinth back eventually. Now I'm slowly, crushing the Macedonians from two sides, and with the addition of the rich greek cities my economy is booming. I forsee many more years of fighting, but each battle I fight I see fewer and fewer of the Macedonian elite units and more of the cheaper local units which are cannon fodder to my Legionaries. I've also slowly began to push north and west into Gaul territory, suprisingly with few loses, because most Gaul units seem to rout at the first sign of being incircled. My spies tell me that Carthage has actually beaten most of Iberia and are probably gonna be my next big objective.

I'm currently allied with Germans and Ptolemites, and the Ptolemites seem to be doing well in their war against Selecids, so my east and north borders are pretty safe for now.

thats surprising, we both had the same strategy for taking macedon, I also started at the peloponese, and then I shipped about 4 good sized stacks across to the illyrian region and came down quickly in a blitzkrieg, after macedon is gone though, I find the game boring, thats why Im playing BI based mods a lot, the challenge from 5 nations who can pawn you on your border is great, but on platinum, speed is the main weapon

This always happens to me when I'm using the Romans as well! Gaul attacks the thigh of Italy; Carthage the shin; Illyria the knee and The Greek Cities attack the foot! That's one painful leg

Right! Here goes my explanation of what to do (by now you have plenty to choose from, hehe)

Gauls: Bribe their armies and try to push them back over the Alps. Set up forts in the passes and put some battle-weary super-weak units inside. They'll act as an early warning system up north and make the Gauls lay seige to super-weak units while you muster a counter for them. If you can't push them that far - try getting them up to Arretium and that other one above Rome; forts can be set up there nicely too.

Illyrians: Try to build a few warships to crush their armies before they land on your shores. Use Assassins to kill any family members that have landed as this will reduce the armies price-to-bribe.

Carthage: These can be annoying, but if you weaken their forces on Italy enough, they'll roam around instead of laying seiges. You could attempt to take Carlias as a way to get them to attack you somewhere else.

it's that, I have plenty of money but not one army can be bribed from either side, So I guess the best thing for me to do is go on the offensive. thanks for all of your guys advice.

bad news. I lost the campaign. Gaul sacked Roma, carthage is taking over southern Italy, Irriyans are taking over gauls terriortys and my northern lands. My legions were able to push them back for a while, then they came back with more troops, and I was caught off guard. bastards. I love war, but I needed peace for a while so I can build up but they wound't let me.

In a way it was fun getting my ass kicked now I know wat the Ai is capable of.

Musopticon?'s Avatar Tiro

Dude, you should have migrated to Crete and Rhodes once the situation looked grim. Then you could have gone all piratey over Peloponnesus and Anatolian Coast and finally attack Italy with a huge mercenary-pirate army or bought all barbarians away with your huge booty gathered from raiding.

Arrrrr.
    I lied when I said that honesty was dead
    - NoMeansNo

that would have been a good idea. but I don't run away. But now I think I can have better campaigns.

Yes. There is no bigger pleasure than, after being defeated, to start a new campaign and wipe out all of your enemies.

You got defeated? I didn't know BI-exe made such a difference..

Miles

Interesting, didn't realize rtr could provide such a challenge. What difficulty where you playing on? Do you have additional mods installed on top of rtr?

i was playing on h/vd, I think I don't remember. And no I don't have any other mod on top of it. I modded the files to my liking so that it can be more of a challenge, to a point that u have to be constanly on your feet. And this camapign was a perfect example.