Thread: CTD when fighting a foreign power?

Default CTD when fighting a foreign power?

I'm about 30 or so turns in on the "CS" campaign (3.5 warpath version) and Mexico took San Antonio from me a few turns back so i decided to attempt to retake it. Now before I attacked the city, the Mexican army split its forces into 2 separate armies and attacked me. But on the battlefield everything seems to be working fine and Boom for some reason I get a ctd. Ive never had a problem with the real time battles before with fighting the "US" so am I not suppose to engage other countries besides them? And im not sure how to see what the details of my crash were so if someone knows how to check that id be more than happy to attach it onto this thread if helpful. Thanks!

Trig's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: CTD when fighting a foreign power?

Does this happen on several attempts if you reload or just once?

Because the occasional battle will randomly ctd and we're still trying to find out why. Big, small, any units, any types, anyplace...just happens...

click banner for ModDB page and all ACW versions download links

That was my first thought as well, so I reloaded from the last save and the same thing happens. Only this time it happened earlier on in the battle than before.

See if you can test a bit more. Is it when you click on some specific unit, or when something else happens. We may be able to pinpoint the problem this way.

Ok ill test it some more, but I do remember one thing specifically I did each time I crashed. I would be zoomed in on one of the enemy units (off the top of my head I would have to say it was the Mexican regular infantry). But it would be right as I fully zoomed in on the unit. So if that help? Sorry probably should have mentioned it before :S

Can you try the same thing but lowering the graphics setitngs a bit?

Yeah I can definetely try that. What graphics specifically should I lower tho (cause theres quite a lot of options haha). My settings right now is everything on ultra and I have yet to encounter a problem with a total war game yet. My graphics card is a Msi N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II.

Just lower some parameters...maybe also use a less intense smoke submod...and see if the game still crashes under same circumstances. We need to find out if it's something about our units that crashes the game or is it graphics performance related.

Ok so your awesome, I lowered my graphic settings from "Very high" to "High" and I havent encountered a ctd yet after 2 battles. So maybe I just couldnt run this on the max setting? Which is werid because I did quite a few battle with the US in a prior campaign, it just seemed to crash against Mexico. But as you stated earlier that it could possibly be the smoke? Does reducing the graphics also reduce the smoke? Cause if so and if your like me and hate seeing the unit detail decrease id like to be able to increase that back. But you also said theres a submod for this and it could help? Thanks for the quick replies and help!