Thread: Tips for a complete newbie

Semisalis

Default Tips for a complete newbie

Hey there TWC!! I came up with an idea today for a story that I decided I should try to write down and see what I can do with it. My problem is that I have about zero experience when it comes to writing creatively and haven't done something like this since about 8 years ago in high school english class (the story which I copied almost verbatim from a game I had been playing). I am looking for some tips on how I can set up a good base for the characters and backstory so that I can stay consistent.

I am also fairly clueless with regards to this sub-forum, as this is the first time I have been here. So if there happens to be a good guide for people like me which I have no idea about, or there is a good sub-sub-forum for me to go look at then by all means post a link and I will check it out.

Some extra info about my idea in case it affects what works well and what doesn't:
    - This would be a fantasy type story. My main influences at the moment are the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin, Lord of the Rings trilogy, and the internet MMO Runescape.
    - As I picture it now I am planning on the main storyline to be an underground resistance type, but I would like to perhaps write other storylines for places further off that could connect with it.
    - I was looking on Google images for completely blank fantasy maps that I could put my story into, should I try to make my own map or is finding one that works for me good enough?
    - I really enjoy lore and history of other fantasy worlds like in SOIAF and Runescape, so is it wise to write up histories for this world so I'm not contradicting myself later on and I don't forget things?

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Tips for a complete newbie

The Creative Writing section might be a good place to check out. You can see what others are doing and perhaps get some ideas on how you might write.

- I was looking on Google images for completely blank fantasy maps that I could put my story into, should I try to make my own map or is finding one that works for me good enough?
    There was one person who was making maps for his story and gave me a link to guide on how to do it. When I find it Ill post it.

- I really enjoy lore and history of other fantasy worlds like in SOIAF and Runescape, so is it wise to write up histories for this world so I'm not contradicting myself later on and I don't forget things?
    I would suggest you write a history. Not only does it set guideline for u to follow but is go for the readers too because they get a glimpse at your world youve dreamed up that may not necessarily be in your story. I wrote one myself here.

My best advice to do some good writing is to write. You'll learn how to write better as time goes on and what works and does not work for you.
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Dude with the Food's Avatar Campidoctor

1) Get a map. It can help plan your story so things become more organised. Draw your own or use the Civilization series as a base if you have one of them.
    2) Plan a history for the most important places. A couple of things from further back, similarities between them and real Earth historical cultures ( also consider naming places after real locations eg Latium as a holy city and ex empire or Alba as a land of people similar to Celts) and why what is where. An extra step considering you want to write fantasy is consider magic (if it exists, how it exists and how it can be used in what ways).
    3) Plan your characters. Who they are, what they are like and any distinguishing features but don't go overboard on appearance. You need to leave room for the reader's imagination.
    4) Plan main events of your story.
    5) Start writing.

This may seem like a lot but it really helps. Good luck.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.

Semisalis

Thanks for the tips guys. So far I have been working on the creation history of the world in its entirety and trying to work out how the events of the present are affected by what happened in the past. I still need to find a map for my world, and I haven't even begun on the characters. I also am trying to create new types of races, and I used grasshoppers and crickets as inspiration for one, but I can't really think of many more. I also have a very basic idea of the plot line but that will need working on. I want to have 12 lesser gods which different races believe in, but to be honest coming up with names/traits for all of them is hard for me not to copy/paste from other sources!

As for planning the characters, I am wondering how certain people do this. Is it good to base characters off of myself and people that I know, because I really want my characters to seem real and not simply good/evil. This is one reason I love ASOIAF, since Martin writes believable characters who can all be related to in one way. Is it like Crusader Kings 2 character creator; you can't choose all good traits or you use up all your points so you need to add some bad ones to even it out (my best attempt at an analogy lol)?

Dude with the Food's Avatar Campidoctor

New races. I'm assuming you mean animal types here? Intelligent forms (humans/elves/dwarves), domestic animals (horses/chickens), wild animals (wolves/deer) and dark creatures (giant spiders/vampires) are all very different and need different characteristics to make them seem realistic. Intelligent forms need language and ways of adapting their environment like clothing and architecture. Domestic animals are often easier to use real animals mixed with 1-2 slightly different. Wild animals can be anything at all but be aware that some of these can easily fit in with dark animals which could also be anything at all. The main difference is that wild ones live to survive and need to be adapted to their envirnonment. Dark creatures usually fit this but have a higher level of awareness between wild and intelligent and can be called demons to get away with putting them in ANY habitat.

Actual characters can base of people you know and cultural stereotype. Often many similarities with sometimes one huge contrast can lead to important character developements later on. For example, twin brothers got separated at birth, one leading a life of luxury, the other poverty. When the poor one is rvealed, he gains inheritance and handles it wisely, the other using it for evil. I agree all but 1-2 characters must have good and evil however a dark lord often needs no redeeming features.

12 lesser gods can symbalise 3 for each element or be based around the Greek/Roman pantheons. Depending on what is important to a given civilization, different gods may have more prominence, different roles or not exist altogether.
    Last edited by Dude with the Food; May 25, 2013 at 04:02 PM.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.