Thread: Attention RTW owners of the italian version !

Default Attention RTW owners of the italian version !

If you have the italian version of RTW you might experince CTDs early in the game. This is due to some typos in the historic_events file. This was reported by owners of the italian version of RTW on 3 CDs. The problem was solved by Marcus Camillus on the rtr forums and luckily I have saved a copy of that topic and of the corrected file and I`m able to copy the post here. The file Marcus made is attached bellow.
    So:
    1. download the file attached to this post(scroll down)
    2. extract the file inside(it`s a rar archive)
    3. place the extracted file ("historic_events") in this location:
    "Rome - Total War/data/text"

Note: be sure to make a backup of your own file before doing this so you can revert the changes if you want.

I will also quote bellow the post Marcus made on the rtr forums:

The problem is definitely with the "historic_events.txt" file. This file did not exist, perhaps was contained in the old RTW v1.2 game engine. Several files did not exist previously outside of the RTW game engine. CA decided to move them out of the game engine and into the data text files where they would be accessible for modding. Unless this is another of those files that got moved to its proper location from elsewhere in the game's folders and I just missed it.

Either way though, from this post of yours Federico, Post# 14 of this thread, here is a sample line from the Italian version of the game...
    Code:
    {SMT_ESPIONAGE_IN_CARTHAGE_TITLE} Spionaggio a Cartagine
    That is the exact same text found in the Italian v1.3 copy of the "historic_events.txt" file. In the RTW v1.5 copy of the "historic_events.txt" file, this line looks like this...
    Code:
    {ESPIONAGE_IN_CARTHAGE_TITLE} Espionage in Carthage
    Besides the difference in the text outside of the brackets being either Italian or English, note the difference inside the brackets. Hmmm... the "SMT_" is no longer used in the RTW v1.5 game engine's copy of the "historic_events.txt" file, at least in the English version.

If you Federico and Ettore have a properly patched RTW to v1.5, then I believe CA has inadvertantly created an incompatiability issue between the English and Italian versions of this file. Sometime after v1.3 the format for this file changed apparently. So, if you edit this file and remove the "SMT_" from each line, your problem should disappear with the Italian version of the "historic_events.txt" file.

The other 3 files had the same text format between the English and Italian versions, so should not be a problem.

To help out, I have attached an editted Italian version of the "historic_events.txt" file below, removing the "SMT_" from the file in the place I believe are needed, so that the files format will match the English version. Using this corrected version should allow you to see all its in-game text in Italian.

Darn, I just noticed one other difference in line 28 and line 63, the text for the Gauis Marius Reforms event. Here is these lines from the Italian version...
    Code:
    Line 28
    {A_NEW_MAN__GAIUS_MARIUS_TITLE} Un uomo nuovo: Gaio Mario

Line 63
    {A_NEW_MAN__GAIUS_MARIUS_BODY} Gaio Mario propone una serie di leggi che permettono ai nullatenenti di arruolarsi nell'esercito regolare di Roma. In cambio dei molti anni di servizio militare, a ogni soldato verrą garantito un appezzamento di terra e una sorta di rendita vitalizia. Questa riforma viene approvata dai comizi tributi senza il consenso del Senato. Certamente l'atteggiamento popolare – o meglio, populista – non gioverą a Mario nel lungo periodo!\n\nI tipi di truppe a disposizione per il reclutamento ora riflettono la struttura di questo nuovo esercito di "professionisti". I dettagli si trovano nella pergamena di reclutamento.
    Here is those same lines in the English version...
    Code:
    Line 28
    {A_NEW_MAN_GAIUS_MARIUS_TITLE} A New Man: Gaius Marius

Line 63
    {A_NEW_MAN_GAIUS_MARIUS_BODY} Gaius Marius has proposed a series of laws that allow the proletariat to join his reorganised Roman army. In return for many years of military service every soldier will be given land as a kind of pension. This reform is passed in the people's assembly without the approval of the Senate. It's a certainty that such popular - and populist - appeal will do Marius no favours in the long run!\n\nThe troop types available for recruitment now reflect the structure of this new professional army. Check the recruitment scroll to view the details.
    Ignore the difference in languages for the in-game display text, and look at the text in brackets. If you can see it on your screen, the "A_NEW_MAN__GAIUS_MARIUS_TITLE" text has an extra underscore between MAN and GAIUS. The English version does not have this, not in both the RTR Platinum or Vanilla RTW v1.5 copy of the "historic_events.txt" file.

All that should be needed is removing this extra underscore, which I have done in the "historic_events.txt" file I have attached. The thing is, does the Italian version's game engine need this underscore? If the game engine itself (RomeTW.exe) does not differ between laguages, which is usually the case, this has been an imbedded bug for CA that has gone unnoticed perhaps.

Give my corrected file a try and let me know if it helps. RTR Platinum never touched this file and it does not appear to exist in RTR Gold, which I have an installed working copy of and searched for this file with no results. This file's differences is why RTR Gold worked and RTR Platinum did not. Hopefully there are no other such "problems" imbedded in other text files. If there are, I'll help if I can.

Now I need to get ahold of the guy from Spain who is getting a similar problem. I suspect he is having the exact same problem.
    Last edited by florin80; November 19, 2007 at 05:27 PM.

MCM's Avatar Saint of lost causes

Default Re: Attention RTW owners of the italian version !!!

Great stuff Florin

I am sure this will help out a few of the fans

MCM Felix

Default Re: Attention RTW owners of the italian version !

Please, I need a new link...this doesn't work...

Well, that`s why I also copy/pasted the discussion. It will stay here as long as the thread and you can implement them yourself. Which is probably better, because that file was done long time ago for RTRPE v1.4 iirc. If there have been changes made to it you`d lose them.

You just need to go to Rome - Total War/data/text and open(use notepad for example) the file historic_events
    There you need to change the above three errors and then save the file and exit.
    So, again, from:
    Code:
    {SMT_ESPIONAGE_IN_CARTHAGE_TITLE} Spionaggio a Cartagine
    to
    Code:
    {ESPIONAGE_IN_CARTHAGE_TITLE} Spionaggio a Cartagine
    (delete that red part from the first)

Code:
    to
    Code:
    {A_NEW_MAN_GAIUS_MARIUS_TITLE} Un uomo nuovo: Gaio Mario
    (delete that extra _)

Code:
    {A_NEW_MAN__GAIUS_MARIUS_BODY} Gaio Mario propone una serie di leggi che permettono ai nullatenenti di arruolarsi nell'esercito regolare di Roma. In cambio dei molti anni di servizio militare, a ogni soldato verrą garantito un appezzamento di terra e una sorta di rendita vitalizia. Questa riforma viene approvata dai comizi tributi senza il consenso del Senato. Certamente l'atteggiamento popolare – o meglio, populista – non gioverą a Mario nel lungo periodo!\n\nI tipi di truppe a disposizione per il reclutamento ora riflettono la struttura di questo nuovo esercito di "professionisti". I dettagli si trovano nella pergamena di reclutamento.
    to:
    Code:
    {A_NEW_MAN_GAIUS_MARIUS_BODY} Gaio Mario propone una serie di leggi che permettono ai nullatenenti di arruolarsi nell'esercito regolare di Roma. In cambio dei molti anni di servizio militare, a ogni soldato verrą garantito un appezzamento di terra e una sorta di rendita vitalizia. Questa riforma viene approvata dai comizi tributi senza il consenso del Senato. Certamente l'atteggiamento popolare – o meglio, populista – non gioverą a Mario nel lungo periodo!\n\nI tipi di truppe a disposizione per il reclutamento ora riflettono la struttura di questo nuovo esercito di "professionisti". I dettagli si trovano nella pergamena di reclutamento.
    (again, delete the extra _)

Note: make a backup copy of the file and store it somewhere else before you edit it. You`ll be able to revert the changes if needed.
    Last edited by florin80; October 31, 2007 at 08:17 AM.

hello
    I've the italian version of Rome Total war and a 1.9 RTR instalation ; in the year 276 at the end of the turn the game crashes. I've open the Data\text\ and the history_events.txt. I've done the first step : {SMT_ESPIONAGE_IN_CARTHAGE_TITLE} Spionaggio a Cartagine
    to
    {ESPIONAGE_IN_CARTHAGE_TITLE} Spionaggio a Cartagine
    but then instead of
    I found
    {SMT_A_NEW_MAN__GAIUS_MARIUS_TITLE} Un uomo nuovo: Gaio Mario

the question are: I've to erate the SMT in the line above ??? and also in the third step ? {SMT_A_NEW_MAN__GAIUS_MARIUS_BODY} :hmmm:
    thx and sorry for my english !