Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013/2014 Football Transfers thread

Default Re: 2013/2014 Football Transfers thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ishoss View Post
    Not accepting that's a strengthening of the squad. I admit to not having watched Ilori, Romero or Aspas but Touré is not an upgrade from Skrtel or Carra. Nor do I believe Papadopolous will be bought: Schalke and the player has hinted towards him staying. Besides this, yes he has a huge talent, but he also has a troubled knee. It is obvious we need a first class central defender though.
    Well, having seen quite a bit of papa I'd say he's an upgrade on Skrtel. Carragher did a very good job coming into the team, but in my opinion Skrtel was always our 1st choice CB partner to Agger, but he was horribly off form. So, Papa>Skrtel and Toure is simply there to provide some experience in reserve. Toure isn't better than Carra, but I don't think he'd have been in the 1st 11 in an ideal world anyway. Of course this is only assuming we do get Papa, and yes that is currently uncertain.

Illori would basically be replacing Coates as a young prospect, I've not seen him play either but my post was in relation to the 1st 11. Romero is a very good prospect from the look of things; I believe him to be an upgrade on Shelvey for the AM prospect (but can also play anywhere across the front 3 if required). Aspas looks good and will provide a good option up front, but I don't believe he has been bought as a pre-emptive replacement for Suarez, I don't think they've been connected in any way other than the obvious need for further depth up top.

I'd also like to keep Downing. Not in a first-team capacity, but the man works hard and is consistently average. He's a good squad player. I'd rather put in Downing from the bench versus United than Ibe or Sterling.
    That depends, I agree he's upped his game considerably this season but, as you say, still "consistently average"...Could work as a squad player, but remember he'll be on fairly high wages - Would he get into the squad of any other clubs in the top 4? I don't believe he would. Point is, I believe the money we get for him could be reinvested into someone who Rodgers would prefer. He's reaching 29 this summer so his resale value will only drop from now on, let's get some money back from that horrendous transfer while we still can.

*If* we spend the money we get from Suarez wisey then we will be strengthened. With the Transfer Committee I believe we can spend it wisely. However, we will never find a replacement for Suarez. He's at the top of his game. He's developed since he came from Ajax. Torres on the other hand was sold after one year of on-and-off performances (with the vast majority of them being off). But I suppose as long as we steer clear from new Carroll, Downing and Borini deals etc we can come out of this strengthened. But I think that will be tough. Everyone knows that if we sell Suarez, we have to get a replacement. The price for strikers will sky-rocket.
    Agree with most of that, the point would be not to "replace" Suarez as such, but to use the money to buy a top 4 standard CF, and spend the rest on improving other aspects of the squad. With that aforementioned potentially giant budget we have this summer, I believe we can have a very interesting and successful summer ahead (I'm carefully avoiding saying "next year is our year"!).

From what I have read Aspas is a Suarez-esque player (even in regards to doing controversial stuff! ), so it might be we have acted ahead of time. In which case: well done.
    Yep I'm excited by him, see my first response
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10 (its true )
    My specs:
    CPU - Intel i5 4670k @3.8 GHz | GPU - MSI GEFORCE GTX 770 LIGHTNING 2GB GDDR5 | RAM - 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ | MOBO - Z87 | HDD - 1TB | SSD - SAMSUNG 840 PRO SERIES 256GB SOLID STATE HARD DRIVE 2.5" | PSU - 750W | CASE - COOLERMASTER ENFORCER | MONITOR - 24" IIYAMA

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Monaco were always seen as a glam club, a club that had money and that competed throughout the times. They put out some magnificent players as well, so there's also a bit of admiration for the club that gave the likes of Arsene Wenger, Thierry Henry, Patrice Evra, Emmanuel Adebayor and others.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

Mario Gomez is apparently signing for SSC Napoli. That could be Cavani off then, the question remains where to. To be honest when Gomez was taken off after his second goal yesterday you got the impression that he was not even content with his position at this point because he was not given the chance to score a hattrick. Should be a good signing for Napoli if he's provided with the needed assists.
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

Jesus Navas has been bought by Manchester City, 5 year deal, around 25 million euros.

And Norwich City signed Ricky Van Wolfswinkel from Sporting Lisbon, for around 8.5 million pounds.

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

=Bright='s Avatar Ordinarius

ManCity supposedly have reached an agreement with both Fernandinho and Shakhtar. Sky reports a 34 mln pound deal, this includes the wages he will get in the next 5 years though.

I wonder if Navas will adapt to English football...

He's fast, he can dribble well, he might be suited to be Pellegrini's top winger.

SonofaBooyah's Avatar Vicarius

I too like Navas, and I think he'll fit in well in England, especially with Pellegrini. Although the stats for him last year don't look great, something like 70 shots and not a single goal with 6 assists, that's more down to Sevilla altogether being pretty crap.

Something I'm worried about though, apparently Evra is on the verge of signing for Monaco?

Quote Originally Posted by bradavies View Post
    Something I'm worried about though, apparently Evra is on the verge of signing for Monaco?
    A return home, probably to become captain of the team.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Ivan Gazidis (Arsenal board) indicating just how out of touch he is with current transfer economics.

"There is no ideological narrative at stake here," said Gazidis. "The ideological narrative is we want to have the best possible players, the best possible team and compete for trophies and Arsčne will do what he thinks is right to do that. There is no philosophical line in the sand and I suspect that he would pay Ł25m for Lionel Messi."
    What an utter twonk.

The twatterphere is a buzz with news we've triggered Fellaini's buy out clause - Ł22m. I'm sure Fellaini would add much needed steal to the Arsenal midfield, but Ł20+ million sounds over the odds to me. Expect Utd and the Chavs to make a move on him any day now..

Omnipotent-Q's Avatar All Powerful Q
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Fellaini would be a great signing for Arsenal or anybody really. He's exactly the kind of Viera-esque player they've needed for years. He'd be worth every penny, but at 25 years of age he might be too old for Wenger!

Under the patronage of the Legendary Urbanis Legio - Mr Necrobrit of the Great House of Wild Bill Kelso. Honoured to have sponsored these great warriors for Citizenship - Joffrey Baratheon, General Brittanicus, SonOfOdin, Hobbes., Lionheartx10, Mangerman, Gen. Chris and PikeStance.

=Bright='s Avatar Ordinarius

So, City have - until now - signed Jesus Navas and Fernandinho. I expect them to present Pellegrini as the new coach during the next week and I also expect them to get Isco:

Hart - Zabaleta, Kompany, Nastasic, Clichy - Fernandinho, Touré - Navas, David Silva, Isco - Agüero

Looks quite nice, doesn't it?
    Last edited by =Bright=; June 07, 2013 at 12:53 PM.

Should try to get a left back IMO. Also gonna need a centre-back probably with Touré (and potentially Lescott) gone.
    Have you ever seen Dirty Harry Guns and money are best diplomacy
    "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Bill Shankly

"Not badly, considering I was seated between Jesus Christ and Napoleon"

David Lloyd George was pleased with his performance at Versailles.

SonofaBooyah's Avatar Vicarius

I hope Isco doesn't go to City, he deserves far better

Fellaini is a very good player in the midfield, Vieira-type midfielder. Triggering the 26 million euro clause signals Arsenal's intent and will add a very good piece to the puzzle. Not to mention Arteta will get some rest as well.

Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

When the hell are Juve going to land Higuain?
    Summer is long though.

"And the Heavens Shall Tremble"
    Resistance is futile™

"ehn sewr traih-sluyrds-lairareh"

Higuain is also linked with Arsenal, so talks could take some time.

Lewandowski won't leave Dortmund, at least not for Bayern. I'm okay with that.

Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    Higuain is also linked with Arsenal, so talks could take some time.
    Yeah heard about that one as well.

Now it's seems he won't be sold until Real have a new manager said Beppe Marotta.

"And the Heavens Shall Tremble"
    Resistance is futile™

"ehn sewr traih-sluyrds-lairareh"

I'm curious to see what happens to Lewandowski - he seemed intent to leave for Bayern, so staying another year in Dortmund will have an effect on him.

Pretty sure Klopp is trying to convince him to sign an extension.