Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Still the Best Total War

Default Still the Best Total War

I don't know about you guys, but for me, Medieval 2 is still the best Total War game, the time frame is great. Not so Ancient, not so Present. From Bows, to crossbows, to guns, spears, swords, Heavy Cavalry, Light Cavalry, etc. The variety of units are awesome, the Grand Campaign is not boring. Agents and diplomacy is Great. Battles are awesome, good pacing and not too fast, unlike in Shogun 2. The map is great, It spans from Europe to middle East, to Americas. I could go on and on... Who knows, maybe Rome 2 would be great aaaannnnd... I haven't played Rome yet.

For Me...

Medieval II
    Napoleon (Upgraded Empire, great graphics, most realistic total war game)
    Empire (too many bugs, boring graphics)
    Shogun 2 (Boring settings only in the island of Japan, Different clans, same units, Not hating on Samurai, I'm not a big fan of those guys, for me they are overrated, over romanticized, the only thing I love on that game are Kisho Ninjas, LOL!)

Centenarius
    American president, Spanish conquistador, Italian cartographer

Default Re: Still the Best Total War

I like Medieval 2 for the time period as well, but also for the wide variety of mods for the game.

The mods is what makes this game stand out, if the moddablity of other newer TW games increases and its not too much of a hassle to mod im sure that the people will move on to newer games. The time period is great as well.

tudor93's Avatar Primicerius

How can you tell this is the best TW if you haven't played all of the TW games?
    Try RTW, it's awesome, especially the mods.
    Īnfrānt nu eşti atunci cānd sāngeri,
    nici ochii cānd īn lacrimi ţi-s.
    Adevăratele īnfrāngeri,
    sunt renunţările la vis.

Ergin's Avatar Laetus

Medieval II certainly is a great game, and perhaps my favorite Total War game as well, period. The mods is what really makes the game so great, even after so many years after its release.

Quote Originally Posted by click2kill View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but for me, Medieval 2 is still the best Total War game, the time frame is great. Not so Ancient, not so Present. From Bows, to crossbows, to guns, spears, swords, Heavy Cavalry, Light Cavalry, etc. The variety of units are awesome, the Grand Campaign is not boring. Agents and diplomacy is Great. Battles are awesome, good pacing and not too fast, unlike in Shogun 2. The map is great, It spans from Europe to middle East, to Americas. I could go on and on... Who knows, maybe Rome 2 would be great aaaannnnd... I haven't played Rome yet.

For Me...

Medieval II
    Napoleon (Upgraded Empire, great graphics, most realistic total war game)
    Empire (too many bugs, boring graphics)
    Shogun 2 (Boring settings only in the island of Japan, Different clans, same units, Not hating on Samurai, I'm not a big fan of those guys, for me they are overrated, over romanticized, the only thing I love on that game are Kisho Ninjas, LOL!)

I couldn't agree more! Medieval II is the best, the others tried to make even more realistic but it's too full of bollocks, as for samurai, blast those fools, only lads whom watch anime fancy that codswallop. I bet you they could not defeat a Knight Hospitaller or Templar in a Pas D'Armes or in a Trial of Arms, Samurai bastards are only romanticised whilst the Christian Knights were truly trained for war and defence of the Holy Land, there is real proof that shows us they were the best trained men in combat at their time, whereas in China or Japan or wherever the devil lies, there isn't much sources of their deeds or training, other than bollocks of animes and all that false gibberish. **** 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Brian de Bois-Guilbert View Post
    I couldn't agree more! Medieval II is the best, the others tried to make even more realistic but it's too full of bollocks, as for samurai, blast those fools, only lads whom watch anime fancy that codswallop. I bet you they could not defeat a Knight Hospitaller or Templar in a Pas D'Armes or in a Trial of Arms, Samurai bastards are only romanticised whilst the Christian Knights were truly trained for war and defence of the Holy Land, there is real proof that shows us they were the best trained men in combat at their time, whereas in China or Japan or wherever the devil lies, there isn't much sources of their deeds or training, other than bollocks of animes and all that false gibberish. **** 'em.
    Completely agree with this one. They couldn't even beat the Koreans and they got their asses sent back to Japan. Yet some people think that they can beat Knights at war, LOL! even the Spanish Tercio and the Ottoman Janissaries.

Please pick up a book before you embarrass yourself. There are literally thousands of sources detailing the exact nature of East Asian warriors and warfare. Have you played Shogun 2?

Quote Originally Posted by click2kill View Post
    Completely agree with this one. They couldn't even beat the Koreans and they got their asses sent back to Japan. Yet some people think that they can beat Knights at war, LOL! even the Spanish Tercio and the Ottoman Janissaries.
    Perhaps the Koreans were rather formidable warriors as well? They did have the most advanced navy in the world at the time.

Anyhow, it's quite lovely to see that eugenics is still alive and kicking, and happily married to blissful ignorance. Good day to you both.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonDomination View Post
    Perhaps the Koreans were rather formidable warriors as well? They did have the most advanced navy in the world at the time.

Anyhow, it's quite lovely to see that eugenics is still alive and kicking, and happily married to blissful ignorance. Good day to you both.
    Most Advanced Navy that time...

Japanese navy must suck so bad...

and... they're fighting conscripts / civilians who are only called during war and has little to no war experience. Yet they got their asses sent back to Japan
    Last edited by click2kill; April 28, 2013 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonDomination View Post
    Please pick up a book before you embarrass yourself. There are literally thousands of sources detailing the exact nature of East Asian warriors and warfare. Have you played Shogun 2?

Blissful ignorance? I bet you don't even know whom my bloody avatar is. Am I really the ignorant or the sources you are so fond of don't really exist eh? You say history of Japan is quite well known, well, take for example Emperor Rokujō, he lived in the 12th century, yet there is close to nothing known about him, whereas European Kings are well known during the 12th. Bugger, we even have knowledge about the first King of Scots, the Pict King, Cinįed mac Ailpķn, bloody hell, we even have sources of earlier tribes and clans better than those blasted samurai bastards. Now, they barely have any source about their Emperor, let alone a bunch of saké sodden heathens called samurai.

Now please, do me a favour lad, and spend at least an hour a day reading about history, before you come here and make such hideous observations about us, older members and history scholars.

fredtrotter's Avatar Centenarius

older members
    If you look at the join date for you, it shows Nov 2012.
    If you look at the join date for JasonDomination, it shows Nov 2012.
    Who is older

I believe that indeed M2TW has the better setting out of all of the TW's to date, but the newer titles (Napoleon and Shogun) are better in terms of gameplay
    Bringing Awesomeness to twc since 2011

Australia 5, Poms 0
    Hockey world champions once more!
    Freo will win this year.

Quote Originally Posted by fredtrotter View Post
    If you look at the join date for you, it shows Nov 2012.
    If you look at the join date for JasonDomination, it shows Nov 2012.
    Who is older

I believe that indeed M2TW has the better setting out of all of the TW's to date, but the newer titles (Napoleon and Shogun) are better in terms of gameplay
    Oh for **** sake, you know exactly what I meant, that prick registered and left, he isn't a member of the community, me, I registered and since then I been here every single ****ing day, I know people here, I have friends, I know the most active members, and so do they, some like me some don't, that isn't the point, the point is that I'm a member of the community, not just of the bloody forum, I don't simple show up once a year or so.

I will point out that knights were perfectly happy to murder/maim/rape/ plunder anyone who wasn't the knightly class. the code of chivalry only applied to knights versus knight. read up on what the Black Prince, a man people thought of as one of the best knights of his age, did at Limoges. if the samurai have been romancized, the knights have been just as much.

Please rep me for my posts, not for the fact that i have a Pony as an Avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by TWWolfe View Post
    I will point out that knights were perfectly happy to murder/maim/rape/ plunder anyone who wasn't the knightly class. the code of chivalry only applied to knights versus knight. read up on what the Black Prince, a man people thought of as one of the best knights of his age, did at Limoges. if the samurai have been romancized, the knights have been just as much.
    Not all of them were ruthless bastards, but most of them was, although you need to remember it was war, not a ****ing picnic, you can't say "Oh my God, they raped, they murdered!!!" with a 21st mind, people live with too much left-wing human rights bollocks in their minds today. If they are enemies, they deserve the worst. As for being romanticised, I wouldn't even say samurai was romanticised, it was amineticised, or whatever it is called, they are seen, especially by ignorant teenagers as super powerful immortal with speed of a bullet stupid git, due to all this japanese nonsense we about nowadays, as for the knight it was truly romanticised, the gallantry and the courtly love thing, well, it's not entirely fake either, I can point many examples, one of them was Sir Rodrigo Dķaz de Vivar, known as El Cid. Or Sir William Douglas, the Scottish knight.

I love Medieval2 and Medieval times in general but I think your beloved Knights are the more romatized of the two. There were many corrupt knights who were an embarrassment to the codes of chivalry. Samurai were highly trained warriors and many were more religious than any of those Knights Templars. And the fact that you said that China and Japn is where quote "the devil lies" is ridiculous and extremely sad and just does not do your argument any favors. Many Knights Templars ran from battlefield but of course you ignore those. what about the Crusades. A true display of chivalry! Yeah right. And please check your sources before commenting on Crusades. what about your "highly trained knights" when invading the Holy Lands? And why did your beloved Nights Hospitallers become bankers. Because they were defeated over and over again. just because you hate the game does not mean you need to hate the people in the time period. Please pick up a history book or at least watch a documentary. Just because you think history revolves around the west does not mean it does.

Why do you guys get so personal in your arguments?

That is usually what debases online discussions or debates in my experience. I would go so far as to say almost every time! So far in this delightful thread, everyone and their mom has been told to go pick up a book and read it so far and that's cool. However, I am almost certain everyone in this thread has done so many times over in the past and will do so again in the near future and beyond.

The only thing I feel comfortable throwing in the mix here is something that I believe can be applied to any argument no matter the topic of discussion. Generalizing the nature of a faction, group, ethnicity, country, dojo, warrior caste, Philly Cheesesteak stand, and/or carbonated beverage and throwing said faction, group, ethnicity, country, dojo, warrior caste, Philly Cheesesteak stand, and/or carbonated beverage into a hypothetical "Battle Royale" will result in Hi-jinks and Shenanigans of the most unenlightened persuasion so as to undermine and flabbergast the original purpose of any discussion!

In other words, the trolls will feast and you may even become one yourself! Beware!

Cant we uhl jus.....get ahlong?

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant of Venice View Post
    I love Medieval2 and Medieval times in general but I think your beloved Knights are the more romatized of the two. There were many corrupt knights who were an embarrassment to the codes of chivalry. Samurai were highly trained warriors and many were more religious than any of those Knights Templars. And the fact that you said that China and Japn is where quote "the devil lies" is ridiculous and extremely sad and just does not do your argument any favors. Many Knights Templars ran from battlefield but of course you ignore those. what about the Crusades. A true display of chivalry! Yeah right. And please check your sources before commenting on Crusades. what about your "highly trained knights" when invading the Holy Lands? And why did your beloved Nights Hospitallers become bankers. Because they were defeated over and over again. just because you hate the game does not mean you need to hate the people in the time period. Please pick up a history book or at least watch a documentary. Just because you think history revolves around the west does not mean it does.
    Hahaha, your comment makes me laugh. When have I mentioned anything in this thread about knights, especially Templars or Hospitallers being "chivalrous" or courteous? If you don't know, even my own nickname is a character, a Templar antagonist in the Ivanhoe novel, cruel, rapist and ruthless. And then again, I never even mentioned bloody chivalry or anything in comparison to samurai, so don't put words in my mouth. All I said was our knights were real, they fought battles, they had trained a lot more than any other soldier, and at their time, there was NOTHING more powerful in the battlefield than a Knight Templar. And if you want to know, all this thing about chivalry only began to appear around the time the Templars were prosecuted, early 14th century.

And after you saying the sic erat scriptum "Nights Hospitallers became bankers", which is major proof of your ignorance, due to the fact the ones whom became bankers were the Templars. And they ran from the battle? Oh, really? What a childish comment, do you still believe people fought to the death like in films? Even after Total War giving you a little insight and knowledge about how a battle was won, by rout? Everyone routed, not all battles was "Honour, die in the field, Valhallaaaaaa!!". Of course Templars and Hospitallers were less likely to rout, since they were better trained and respected by both Christian and Saracen, it was unlikely they would be executed if captured. But I can point few more examples which demonstrate bravery from the Templars and Hospitallers, can you do the same about your fictional samurai? Battle of Cresson, 130 Knights, including their Grandmasters themselves, and 400 infantrymen stood their ground and fought against the overwhelming forces of Saladin, 7000 men. Only three knights survived, including Sir Gerard de Ridefort. As for Sir Roger de Moulins, Master of the Hospital, he was killed in battle.

"As the Itinerarium Peregrinorum et Gesta Regis Ricardi, a chronicle of the Third Crusade, records it:
    So Saladin assembled armed forces and marched violently on Palestine. He sent the emir of Edessa, Manafaradin (al-Muzaffar), on ahead with 7,000 Turks to ravage the Holy Land. Now, when this Manafaradin advanced into the Tiberias region, he happened to encounter the master of the Temple, Gerard de Ridefort, and the master of the Hospital, Roger des Moulins. In the unexpected battle which followed, he put the former to flight and killed the latter."

You can even read about a certain Sir Knight called Sir Jakelin de Mailly whom fought to the death valiantly, defying odds, he fought alone against an horde until he too fell:

"The Muslims feigned a retreat, a common tactic which should not have fooled Gerard; nevertheless, he ordered a charge, against Roger's advice, and the knights were separated from the foot-soldiers. The Muslims easily repulsed a direct Christian attack, killing both the exhausted knights, and, later, the foot-soldiers. Gerard was wounded, but survived; however, almost all the others were killed. According to the Itinerarium, however, Gerard did not rashly engage the enemy, but was actually caught unaware and was the victim of an attack himself. The Itinerarium also records the exploits of a certain Templar named Jakelin de Mailly, who, after all his companions had been killed, fought singlehandedly against the throng of Muslims until he too fell."

Please, if you don't have any sources to state I shall stop considering anything and everything you say. Now go watch your bloody anime lad, and believe that samurai are super powerful men whom fought with the speed of sound, dodging sword attacks and running in the air, and stop buggering me.
    Last edited by Kaiser Nonsense; April 30, 2013 at 10:09 AM.

Hahaha, your comment makes me laugh. When have I mentioned anything in this thread about knights, especially Templars or Hospitallers being "chivalrous" or courteous? If you don't know, even my own nickname is a character, a Templar antagonist in the Ivanhoe novel, cruel, rapist and ruthless. And then again, I never even mentioned bloody chivalry or anything in comparison to samurai, so don't put words in my mouth. All I said was our knights were real, they fought battles, they had trained a lot more than any other soldier, and at their time, there was NOTHING more powerful in the battlefield than a Knight Templar. And if you want to know, all this thing about chivalry only began to appear around the time the Templars were prosecuted, early 14th century.

And after you saying the sic erat scriptum "Nights Hospitallers became bankers", which is major proof of your ignorance, due to the fact the ones whom became bankers were the Templars. And they ran from the battle? Oh, really? What a childish comment, do you still believe people fought to the death like in films? Even after Total War giving you a little insight and knowledge about how a battle was won, by rout? Everyone routed, not all battles was "Honour, die in the field, Valhallaaaaaa!!". Of course Templars and Hospitallers were less likely to rout, since they were better trained and respected by both Christian and Saracen, it was unlikely they would be executed if captured. But I can point few more examples which demonstrate bravery from the Templars and Hospitallers, can you do the same about your fictional samurai? Battle of Cresson, 130 Knights, including their Grandmasters themselves, and 400 infantrymen stood their ground and fought against the overwhelming forces of Saladin, 7000 men. Only three knights survived, including Sir Gerard de Ridefort. As for Sir Roger de Moulins, Master of the Hospital, he was killed in battle.

"As the Itinerarium Peregrinorum et Gesta Regis Ricardi, a chronicle of the Third Crusade, records it:
    So Saladin assembled armed forces and marched violently on Palestine. He sent the emir of Edessa, Manafaradin (al-Muzaffar), on ahead with 7,000 Turks to ravage the Holy Land. Now, when this Manafaradin advanced into the Tiberias region, he happened to encounter the master of the Temple, Gerard de Ridefort, and the master of the Hospital, Roger des Moulins. In the unexpected battle which followed, he put the former to flight and killed the latter."

You can even read about a certain Sir Knight called Sir Jakelin de Mailly whom fought to the death valiantly, defying odds, he fought alone against an horde until he too fell:

"The Muslims feigned a retreat, a common tactic which should not have fooled Gerard; nevertheless, he ordered a charge, against Roger's advice, and the knights were separated from the foot-soldiers. The Muslims easily repulsed a direct Christian attack, killing both the exhausted knights, and, later, the foot-soldiers. Gerard was wounded, but survived; however, almost all the others were killed. According to the Itinerarium, however, Gerard did not rashly engage the enemy, but was actually caught unaware and was the victim of an attack himself. The Itinerarium also records the exploits of a certain Templar named Jakelin de Mailly, who, after all his companions had been killed, fought singlehandedly against the throng of Muslims until he too fell."

Please, if you don't have any sources to state I shall stop considering anything and everything you say. Now go watch your bloody anime lad, and believe that samurai are super powerful men whom fought with the speed of sound, dodging sword attacks and running in the air, and stop buggering me.
    The fact that your stating so many sources just makes me laugh. You say I'm ignorant for saying that the Knights Hospitallers were bankers. Fine I was wrong. I would be ignorant if I said this

whereas in China or Japan or wherever the devil lies
    Now the fact that you believe that just because there aren't as many sources means that the thousands of sources we do have are just a false does not make any sense. Anime is FICTION! Now one goes around saying that wizards go to a school called Hogwarts and then saying its historical source. People don't believe Anime. Samurai were highly trained warriors who like your precious Knights Templar did not just flee at the sight of battlefield. I do dispute that Templars were highly trained warriors, in fact I have thousands of sources that state they were. They were one of the best military organizations of their time. But I don't need to provide any sources to state that samurai were good warriors. I will when you give me some evidence saying they weren't. But your portraying the Knights as the super humans like you say people portray samurai

Now I'm not going to tell you to read a book because clearly you have read a few but please just make a thread in the history forums if you want to bring something like this up. BTW I don't even watch anime.

back on topic favourite games:

Med2
    Shogun 2
    RTW
    Empire
    Napoleon

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant of Venice View Post
    The fact that your stating so many sources just makes me laugh. You say I'm ignorant for saying that the Knights Hospitallers were bankers. Fine I was wrong. I would be ignorant if I said this

Now the fact that you believe that just because there aren't as many sources means that the thousands of sources we do have are just a false does not make any sense. Anime is FICTION! Now one goes around saying that wizards go to a school called Hogwarts and then saying its historical source. People don't believe Anime. Samurai were highly trained warriors who like your precious Knights Templar did not just flee at the sight of battlefield. I do dispute that Templars were highly trained warriors, in fact I have thousands of sources that state they were. They were one of the best military organizations of their time. But I don't need to provide any sources to state that samurai were good warriors. I will when you give me some evidence saying they weren't. But your portraying the Knights as the super humans like you say people portray samurai

Now I'm not going to tell you to read a book because clearly you have read a few but please just make a thread in the history forums if you want to bring something like this up. BTW I don't even watch anime.

back on topic favourite games:

Med2
    Shogun 2
    RTW
    Empire
    Napoleon
    Wherever the devil lies is merely an expression, nothing to do with religion or the devil himself. It's like when you are speaking of someone and this someone comes, you'd usually say "Speaking of the devil" or "Handle your devils" as in "Handle your problems".

As for saying the Templars were super humans, never I even mentioned anything of the kind, and I never even said either that Samurai weren't capable warriors, I merely say that thanks to all this media nonsense we have today, every prat thinks samurai could fly in the sky and run on the walls, that Templars are in fact a secret society trying to control the people's mind (sometimes referred to as Illuminati, just bollocks as well) and that dragons fly the Swedish sky.

And I won't change to Vestigia Vetustatis due to the fact this wasn't originally a history discussion and it was led to it, if I go there now and create a new thread "Discussion about Knights and Samurai" the thread would be left for the flies while I would be probably mocked. Here the subject is flowing, due to what led to it, whereas there I can't be so sure. Anyhow, I have nothing left to add to this, I believe this conversation is over, you got my point and I got yours, there is no need to overgrow this any more than it already is.

My Favorite Total War on par with Rome Total War: Alexander . So many great mods that's the reason I still play this game I love the new total war games specially Napoleon: Total War but since they don't have so much mods and are harder to mod I don't play them that much.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast