Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: How to split a region

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Default Re: How to split a region

Ok everyone new issue.

I am using MMS to make this mod. I created the mod, edited the tweak files. Then altered the CS2 files in 3DS Max, managing to do it in the 2014 version using the method I posted above this post.

When I exported the CS2 files I put them in the raw_data folder in the C:\official_mod_tools\raw_data\Empiredesigndata\campaign_maps\bos_japan. Is this the right place for me to export them for it to work with the MMS files that I have tweaked for the maps?

And once you have edited the map in 3ds max do you need to save it as a 3ds max file?

When I started my campaign after installing my region mod, no changes were visible.

Please help!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    Is this the right place for me to export them for it to work with the MMS files that I have tweaked for the maps?
    This is the right place.Fellow tutorial Bob Part 1&2(replace "sho_japan" with "bos_japan" as you are editing the Fall of the Samurai Map )
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post

And once you have edited the map in 3ds max do you need to save it as a 3ds max file?
    Unless you don't need to tweak the map any more. No save, you'll have to redo everything when you want to make more change to the map.

Edit: Just realize what you mean. The modding tools can not read data directly from max files, so save or no save won't affect the BOB output.
    Last edited by ScarletFrog; September 17, 2015 at 09:20 PM.

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Does anybody have a link to the rigid spline converter?

It doesn't seem to exist on the link given in the tutorial...
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...line-converter

I have had to take some time off modding but back now. Still haven't managed to split a region in the Boshin map yet using the 3DS Max 2014 but I am getting close. I am going to put up a video explaining it for people like me who are completely new to modding the map. Hopefully that will save you guys having to answer more questions from newbies like me!

Primergy's Avatar Protector of the Union

I still have it in my collection, you can download it from my dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kd0v6ao3ob...s_1.2.rar?dl=0

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

BOB has highlighted a problem that causes the game to crash, I am not sure what the problem is though:

After running BOB, it gets to a point when the game launcher for Shogun is automatically launched. BOB doesn't do anything until I try to launch the game. My splitting the region mod isn't included in the list on the launcher...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mod Launcher.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	331721

When it does this, BOB appears like this:

Name:	bob1.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	331722

So I launch the game and during the first loading screen before the main menu the game crashes:

Name:	Crash.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	331723

So I thought "fair enough", I have obviously done something wrong. When I look at BOB to see what files have caused the issue I get this:

The problem is in the "Campaign" folder

Name:	bob2.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	331724

"Process start pos (jap_boshin)"

Name:	bob3.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	331725

Any idea where I have gone wrong? It is the Boshin campaign I am editing and all I have done was split one region in half following the tutorial.

I would love some help here, struggling to get past this!

Primergy's Avatar Protector of the Union

You first have to generate the new campaign map. Then you have to put the changed map files into a pack and place it in the data folder. and make sure its a mod pack!

Have you already experimented with simple startpos changes, like changing the start date? Going right into the campaign map modding is quite ambitous!

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

I am using the Multi Mod Support. Created a new mod pack in it and just edited the files through MMS. Is it best not to use this?

i went straight into campaign map modding! Ambitious but I was wanting to try and really focus on it

Name:	Sin título.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	431.3 KB 
ID:	337361
    Yeaahhhh
    I love you Uanime5. Super well done guide.

Here some points I had problems with:

1) The game must be instaled in the original folder for steam C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\total war shogun 2 otherwise bob wont launch the game to create the startpos

2) Change the modding folder up in the folder chain (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\total war shogun 2 originally). Since it's to ''deep'' you cannot save any more and bob will fail. I solved this placing it like this D:\modding

3) To open and work with the 3dmax model of the boshin campaign you can use a 3ds max 2012, save it as 2010 and then work/export with 3ds max 2010

4) Finally and no less important, reed with attention the guide and do not jump any steep and you will be fine

Sorry for my english and thank you Uanime5

Ok guys, I really need some help here. I just can't past BOB part 2. BOB says that failed to save the startpos file. Why? No idea.
    Here are the pics:
    Click to view content: 

If someone could help me, why the startpos doesn't want to save it in the working data, i will be very grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by izzi View Post
    Ok guys, I really need some help here. I just can't past BOB part 2. BOB says that failed to save the startpos file. Why? No idea.
    Here are the pics:
    Click to view content: 

If someone could help me, why the startpos doesn't want to save it in the working data, i will be very grateful.
    Looks like i got it fixed. I copied the modding folder to my external HDD, and it worked! Finely:
    Click to view content: 

The only thing i need to do is to relocate the standing army. It still next to it's former Settlement (Same for the agent).

My new region works ingame And is showing up However i cannot walk on it nor Go to it by land or sea.
    I am sure my pathfinding was in the mod pack when i proccesed the starpos. Could this be related to the campaign map Playable area's?

Quote Originally Posted by rohan97 View Post
    My new region works ingame And is showing up However i cannot walk on it nor Go to it by land or sea.
    I am sure my pathfinding was in the mod pack when i proccesed the starpos. Could this be related to the campaign map Playable area's?
    Can be, or maybe the region touches the edge of the map.

Can be, or maybe the region touches the edge of the map.

It does touch the edge yes So if i move it lower it will be fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by rohan97 View Post
    It does touch the edge yes So if i move it lower it will be fixed?
    You have to look at the first part of the tutorial. It has to to about the issue you have.

Can someone tell me why now the startpos.esf doesn't want to save in my other drive (drive D) while converting it? Before it was always working. Now not anymore.

Can someone tell me why now the startpos.esf doesn't want to save in my other drive (drive D) while converting it? Before it was always working. Now not anymore.
    Never mind, i already found the issue.

I must say, working on the FOTS map, is a bit different than on the STW2 map. The basics are the same, but some detail is different to apply on the FOTS map. Also, if you switch a region with another region (i mean which faction it uses), remember to change the characters to settlements and characters coordinates in db. Otherwise you will have a crash.

2 questions:
    How do you texture a campaign map?
    Why does some roads don't appear entirely after you used the rigid spline converter?

2 questions:
    How do you texture a campaign map?
    Why does some roads don't appear entirely after you used the rigid spline converter?
    It looks like you choose the texture on the campaign map by editing the campaign_detail_mask.dds file. As uanime explains in his other guide - http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-new-land-mass

However, when I open this file in GIMP it is pretty much all painted alpha, and not at all like shown in uanimes tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by mauiaw View Post
    It looks like you choose the texture on the campaign map by editing the campaign_detail_mask.dds file. As uanime explains in his other guide - http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-new-land-mass

However, when I open this file in GIMP it is pretty much all painted alpha, and not at all like shown in uanimes tutorial
    Exactly, I did create the that map, but it doesn't change a bit. I thought that it's maybe the supertexture file. No idea really.