Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hoplon Shield reconstruction project

Default Re: Hoplon Shield reconstruction project

Brilliant stuff! Nicely done, can't wait to see more progress

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

This has got to be one of the best threads on TWC. That's +1 rep to grouchy for excellent craftsmanship and presentation. This should probably become a sticky thread, in my humble opinion.

Palmetto's Avatar Civis

I just came across this thread. Nice work on the construction.
    FCC licensed radio operator W7KMS

Constitution Party of TWC

Quick question, would there be any problem of just buying a large rectangular piece of ply wood and cutting out full donuts? seemed easy from my view but also more expensive due to a lot of excess wood.

grouchy13's Avatar TW Mercenary Veteranii

Quote Originally Posted by TR00PER7 View Post
    Quick question, would there be any problem of just buying a large rectangular piece of ply wood and cutting out full donuts? seemed easy from my view but also more expensive due to a lot of excess wood.
    yeah entirely possible, would save alot of work but as you say drive up the cost. You weed need to drill out a hole in the center radius so you could get started cutting with your jigsaw.
    Under the Patronage of the Venerable Jom Patron of the one true Shogun wealthmonger, Antipodean son IZob, Terrifying Sultan of the Blitz totalwar_legend & Warden of the Iron Throne Dux

Slydessertfox's Avatar Vicarius

Wow, excellent project you got going here.

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Marvelous work there, Grouchy!

I'll be following. I might also catch some hints on shield construction, since I had been planning to construct a Roman Scutum for some time.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

Update

Sorry for the delay in getting some updates up and running, I've had a bereavement in the family so thoughts have been elsewhere.

To that end work has continued all be it at a slower place, where we have made progress is in the Outer Handle. The outer handle is made of rope, Being in the Royal Navy I have managed to source some decent rope to produce the handle. The rope I'm using is called 3 core, I'm going to use around 7-8 Inches spliced around two Brass washers, the Brass Washers will then sit within brass clips we've fabricated fabricating which will be attached to the Hoplon Body.

For those unfamiliar with Rope work, Splicing is simply attaching the rope to other pieces of rope or in this case the brass washers I have fabricated. To do this I gained the services of a sailor with over 30 years experience of rope work, He'll be cutting the rope so it is loose and the 3 cores of the rope can be attached through the washers, he;ll reassemble the rope with another splice so it is solidly attached to the washer as opposed to simply putting feeding it through the rope. To reconstruct the rope we'll be using what is known as a west country splice that looks like this,

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

In regards to the metal work required for the Porpax, primarily we've been concerned with producing the brass washers, We sourced a 1.5 Inch Brass bar. We then cut 2 x 10mm blanks which then were bored out with 10mm drill bit. My father then placed the blanks in a lathe and turned the outside and inside radius which came out at 22mm diameter, to finish the washers we then used a standard half round file to round of the edges. I aplogise for the lack of pictures as my father has been cracking on and not took any I manged to grab some just to illustrate the material we used, what the blanks looked like and how the washers came out,

and the finished articles,

Next jobs will be the fabrication of the clips to attach the rope handle, then splicing the rope to the washers. We'll look then into fabricating the Porpax, I'm sourcing some man made leather for the Hoplon interior this week. Once all the ducks are in row it will go like this upholstering the interior, attaching the Porpax and Rope handles, then the fun part will begin as we look towards painting the Hoplon face and Rim.
    Last edited by grouchy13; July 28, 2013 at 01:14 PM.
    Under the Patronage of the Venerable Jom Patron of the one true Shogun wealthmonger, Antipodean son IZob, Terrifying Sultan of the Blitz totalwar_legend & Warden of the Iron Throne Dux

Daily's Avatar Flingin' ma mace son
    Content Emeritus

Awesome Grouchy. It seems all the "big work" is done and now its mostly in the details. That sounds so wrong but I hope you understand what I mean. Can't wait to see how it turns out!
    Proud patron of Confederate Jeb and FalconPilot
    View how Grouchy makes a Hoplon shield!

Well done looking forward to future updates.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, excellent project you got going here.
    Marvelous work there, Grouchy!

I'll be following. I might also catch some hints on shield construction, since I had been planning to construct a Roman Scutum for some time.
    Awesome Grouchy. It seems all the "big work" is done and now its mostly in the details. That sounds so wrong but I hope you understand what I mean. Can't wait to see how it turns out!
    Well done looking forward to future updates.
    Thanks guys it's awesome to have your continued support, we're getting very close now!

Update

After a couple of weeks of continued work on the interior fittings I'm proud to say we're around 90% complete on the Brass Washers, more excitingly though I collected the Hoplon from the Upholsterers earlier today and I can say the results are spectacular, I gave the Hoplon to a local Upholsterer who specializes in producing high end VW Camper Van Leather Interiors. The Upholsterer website is here,

http://www.kreynoldsupholstery.co.uk/

Keith was super stoked when I presented the Hoplon for a quote and was keen to take on this unusual project, after a discussion of the construction method and him having a quick mess about holding the Hoplon we discussed the methods of Upholstering the Hoplon in Leather, for Cast I elected to use an imitation leather and left it in the capable hands of Keith and his team. A fortnight & a very reasonable £30 later, including materials & labor I'm proud to present the Upholstered Hoplon!

I think we can agree it looks amazing, To give you an idea of what the Brass Washers will look like I did a photo of what the washers will look upon the Hoplon,

So with the Upholstering complete the next jobs will be to drill the washer holders with a 3mm hole in prep for fixing, give them a real good clean and polish in preperation for splicing the Rope between them. The Drilling and cleaning will be taking place this weekend with Splicing being carried out during next week, in the meantime we'll start on sheet metal work required for manufacturing the Porpax!

neoptolemos's Avatar Breatannach Romanus

By Golly!!!It looks amazing so far!
    I bet the leather lining would have been a hard task.
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

The Roman Republic's Avatar Alea iacta est
    Citizen Content Emeritus

I made a stand for my gladius, I wish I did a progress report on it, anyway it's looking fantastic keep going.

Update

Without further ado and no messing here's the Rope Handle!,

hopefully get chance to do some fitting work this weekend, fingers crossed the Porpax may be complete too!

Citizen Content Emeritus

coming along nicely.

Wundabar.

Daily's Avatar Flingin' ma mace son
    Content Emeritus

At least that picture wasn't blurry.

Looking really well done by the way. You have to take tons of pictures when it is finished so we can look at it all.
    Proud patron of Confederate Jeb and FalconPilot
    View how Grouchy makes a Hoplon shield!

Indeed. In fact, I think you could do a Youtube video trying it out and testing it.

Citizen Content Emeritus

Hopefully all is well?

Update

Sorry guys between TWR2 release, Work and TWC being a major pain in the ass the update rate has slipped of late however here is a bumper update.

So after the Rope Handle was completed we managed to complete some nice backing plates that will hide the fixings and give a nice decorative edge, these were made out of thin pieces of copper cut and to the desired shape then filled for burr's,

and a look from further out,

Work on the Porpax is moving ahead, copper has been cut in line with the template I showed a while back, on the outside edges we are using copper rod that will allow us to give the Porpax a curved edge, the Porpax looks abit rough at the mo but this is very much a work in progress, a couple of views then.

[IMG]Uploaded with ImageShack.com[/IMG]

and a view of the bending process with the copper rod,

We also beat a couple of nails down on the head to give them a more man made feel, these will be used to hold the Porpax and rope handle base plates in place, this is a before and after photo with the ones we're using on the right.

Perhpas most exiting of all is the rim has been cut and shaped and it looks awesome. The rim is cut from one solid piece, which we had to screw down (The reason for the holes) to ensure giving it a perfect radius. Some pics from both faces to give you a feel for size and look.

and the interior,

Next up some serious fabrication on the Porpax to see that to completion, then it will be fit the interior pieces (another lengthy job), filling and sanding and joining the rim prior to paint!

So onwards and upwards!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast