Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Islam? Ask a Muslim

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: What is Islam? Ask a Muslim

Why is the Islamic reaction to all types of homosexuals so hostile, when much of the early Islamic poetry and art contains homoerotic themes? To my understanding, the condemnation of homosexuality in the Quran is limited to 'lustful acts' (which I see as only sexual intercourse). Or do the religious police (in the countries where there is one) really strike immediately when two men kissing and hugging is sighted?

Hobbes's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

There's more to Shi'a Islam than politics; shi'ite theology is very distinct.

Nesimî's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Like I said, I don't know enough about it to teach anyone anything, but the current friction between our groups is mainly political, rather than philosophical. I am not claiming that Shi'a Islam is just a political difference.
    shum

Deleted by author
    Last edited by Shamshir; May 17, 2013 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Personal

Pīrūz Nahavandi's Avatar Decanus
    Watching your most private moments. With judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamshir View Post
    Shi'ism is basically mourning, mourning and mourning all year round + all the heavy baggage that Islam brings. It is very distinct indeed.
    The most accurate and concise description of Shi'ism I've ever heard.

Indefinitely Banned

How big chance is for Christians to enter Jannah? Like my parents are Christians, would they enter Jannah?

Do you have any thoughts or ideas who/what is Dajjal, or when he will come?

As a new convert from Latvia, I was wondering, how marriage happens when Muslim comes from non-Muslim family? His/Her parents can't arrange it right?

Quote Originally Posted by Chanyu View Post
    I believe babies cry as the result of amniotic(?) fluid from and expanding of the lungs, both of which are said to be painful processes. I don't know if he touches the babies, I hope not.

Apparently "the touching of the Satan can either be a symbol for the test of life or a symbolic truth expressed – that has not been fully discovered yet"

http://www.questionsonislam.com/ques...imher-and-hesh

The Islamic book I read just said Satan touches babies at birth and left it at that.
    Last edited by Scruff Dog; May 12, 2013 at 12:37 PM.

Do you consider Muhammad to have been the example of a perfect moral human being? Had you acted in the same way as he did, if you were in his shoes?

Blaze86420's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by The Kybrothilian View Post
    Why is the Islamic reaction to all types of homosexuals so hostile, when much of the early Islamic poetry and art contains homoerotic themes? To my understanding, the condemnation of homosexuality in the Quran is limited to 'lustful acts' (which I see as only sexual intercourse). Or do the religious police (in the countries where there is one) really strike immediately when two men kissing and hugging is sighted?
    Many Muslims look back to the Golden Age of Islam and incorrectly assume that everything done back then should be emulated. Homosexuality is strictly forbidden, the tale of Sodom and Lot is quite famous in the Quran. The poems you speak of are sins.

As for kissing and hugging, in Arabic culture (and many others) it is considered completely normal for two men to do so when greeting each other.

Quote Originally Posted by L-Burna View Post
    How big chance is for Christians to enter Jannah? Like my parents are Christians, would they enter Jannah?

As a new convert from Latvia, I was wondering, how marriage happens when Muslim comes from non-Muslim family? His/Her parents can't arrange it right?
    In Islam, people generally avoid making the judgement (only God can judge me...), but it is clear that shirk or polytheism is a major sin. However, the Quran does suggest that the Christian concept of the holy trinity is simply their misguided way of worshiping the one true god. So, can Christians go to heaven? Maybe, if they were good people, but man can't really make that judgement.
    Last edited by Blaze86420; May 12, 2013 at 04:07 PM.

Indefinitely Banned

Why do Sunni and shiete hate each other surely Muhammad would want them to get along.Serious question here.

Mohammed would only support the proper version of Islam of course, whichever that one is.

Indefinitely Banned

So how did they divide.Are they like Catholics and Protestants

SomaaTheLion's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Enemy of the State View Post
    Do you consider Muhammad to have been the example of a perfect moral human being? Had you acted in the same way as he did, if you were in his shoes?
    We consider Muhammad to have been the best of all beings of God's creations, but he is not perfect, because in Islam only \God is 100% perfect. The Quran speaks of all the prophets as being the greatest human beings of all time. A prophet, in the Muslim sense of the word, is a person whom God specially chose to teach the faith of Islam. These prophets, although God has protected them from committing major sins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic...:_Al-Kaba.27ir), they are prone to minor sins.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing are doing the impossible for the ungrateful, we have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Come on he was a little bit rough around the edges surely? He may have done some fgood thing but he did some questionable things as well.

SomaaTheLion's Avatar Decanus

Quran 5:17 They have certainly disbelieved who say that Allah is Christ, the son of Mary. Say, "Then who could prevent Allah at all if He had intended to destroy Christ, the son of Mary, or his mother or everyone on the earth?" And to Allah belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth and whatever is between them. He creates what He wills, and Allah is over all things competent.

According to the Holy Trinity, Jesus is God the son. So if your parents, with all respect, believe in this trinity, then they are disbelievers and won't go to Jannah. I advise you pray for them and try to guide them to Allah.

I found this to be quite useful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masih_ad-Dajjal
    Personally, I don't have an answer to your question. But hopefully Chanyu will give you the right answer.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing are doing the impossible for the ungrateful, we have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Indefinitely Banned

I think you have to become a muslim to marry a devout muslim.My cousin in London did.It is better for the kids to be on the same page.

It says in the Quran that Christians, Jews and Sabbians (whoever they are) are 100% perfectly fine with Allah. I think Mohammed may contradict himself a little later on though when he says Muslims can't be friends with Christians and Jews.
    Last edited by Scruff Dog; May 12, 2013 at 05:14 PM.

Indefinitely Banned

My inlaw told my cousin he is forbidden from marrying her unless she became a muslim so she did and they are happy together and married with 2 sons.

1. Muhammad owned dozens of slaves.
    2. Muhammad married a 6 year old girl and had sex with her when she was 9( According to the Sahih Al-Bukhari)
    3. Muhammad ordered the execution of every male of the Banu Qurayza tribe, killing over 900, and enslaved all the women and children(Bukhari 5:59:362). Muhammad's soldiers would have the boys of the tribe drop their pants, anyone who had pubic hair was beheaded
    4. Muhammad sent assassins after people for writing poetry critical of him, such as 'Asma' bint Marwan and Abu 'Afak. He also had a blind Jewish man killed for throwing dust at him. (Ibn Hisham & Ibn Ishaq, Sirat Rasul Allah)

I could go on for a while. These acts aren't morally questionable. They're obviously downright evil. It seems so blatantly obvious to me that Muhammad was not some kind of divine prophet. Such acts are exactly what you would expect from a 7th century desert warlord, and the Qur'an perfectly reflects the prevailing superstitious tribal culture.

You may as well marry a non-Muslim than insist they convert when they otherwise wouldn't, it's not a genuine conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by Enemy of the State View Post
    Such acts are exactly what you would expect from a 7th century desert warlord, and the Qur'an perfectly reflects the prevailing superstitious tribal culture.
    It's a shame about all that business because it would otherwise be appealing as a theology of universal brotherhood and pure monotheism. A dodgy founding figure doesn't really help it though.
    Last edited by Scruff Dog; May 12, 2013 at 05:17 PM.