Thread: How do you deal with those greek pikemen ?

Default How do you deal with those greek pikemen ?

Recently I ve been involved in an intense conflict with the Greeks. Even though i end up beating most of their armies those pikemen of theirs really cause some extensive damage to my armies.​Does anyone know a good strategy to beat these guys. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: How do you deal with those greek pikemen ?

Try to bait them out of position with some lighter troops/missile cav and hit them from behind as they're advancing. In my experience the AI really sucks at keeping a cohesive line, so they'll charge individual cohorts forward on their own (and half the time they don't even respond to whoever's attacking them from behind, so they just kind of die).

Also, once you can AoR levy pikes, use them.

Sertorio's Avatar Domesticus

What has been said, try to have local superiority, pin the phalanx in the front with a unit ( i put mine on guard mode trying to take less punishment) and hit them fro behind/flanks with another. Be prepaired, they will rotate, then invert the positions. Also, if you can go for their general, they will take a severe morale punishment. pay attention to their condition, a good cavalry charge or javelin discharge can do wonders on a exhausted engaged unit. You focus should be in starting a rout, not killing them to the last, you can do that afterwards.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RomeTW-ALX 2013-05-08 15-31-42-98.jpg  
    Texture works by Sertorio, banner courtesy of Joar

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

Thanks for the advice, but the enemy general keeps the pikemen as reserve units.He sends them forward only at the height of the battle. I try to bait them away using cavalry and then using archers to pepper them with arrows, but this only works sometimes. Mostly they do not take the bait.

Sertorio's Avatar Domesticus

Itīs mostly a question of timing, your first line has to deal with their first line, and you need not to overcommit your forces on they first line in order to have enough fresh troops to hit the phalanx in the end. Still casualties are expected.
    Texture works by Sertorio, banner courtesy of Joar

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE