Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thebes and Corinth as factions?

Lord Tomyris's Avatar Cheshire Cat

Default Thebes and Corinth as factions?

On the Athens faction description page, I read:

Forever influential, but still not fully independent of Macedonian rule, Athens has the opportunity to break free and potentially found a third Athenian League, asserting authority over long term allies and adversaries alike, such as Sparta, Thebes and Corinth.
    Is this merely 'flavour text', so to speak, or will Thebes and Corinth be included as factions in the game? Only, there doesn't appear to be room on the campaign map for them...

Ex-Quaestor of TWC: Resigned 7th May 2004

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Thebes and Corinth as factions?

This one year turn business has really limited the size/number of provinces.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Historically Corinth should me Macedonian and one of the 4 mighty Garrisons in Greek. Later it was independent, but all the time after Alexandria and together with Carthage probably the 2th largest city in the mediterranean world. It would be a shame not have the city included. The Problem is that in early screens of the "map" Archea is only one region. There is no sub region which could be Corinth.

Proud to be a real Prussian.

No.... Syracuse and Massilia deserve more to be endependant factions.

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    This one year turn business has really limited the size/number of provinces.
    How so?

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Yes, i read that and that brings many hopes...

Thebes and Corith boeth lie within the borders of the ONE Athens faction home region in Rome2.

So there is no way they can be a faction. Of course there could be some other mechanic or map object tied to them.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Much, much stronger argument for Aetolian League.

Gondolin's Avatar Tiro

I hope there are include as faction even if Corinth bacame an independant faction later in the game like an emerging faction.

All is based on how they have organized the regions and the provinces.

RexImperator's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS ts View Post
    No.... Syracuse and Massilia deserve more to be endependant factions.
    The one does not preclude the other.

Lord Tomyris's Avatar Cheshire Cat

Quote Originally Posted by RexImperator View Post
    The one does not preclude the other.
    Well said.

Ex-Quaestor of TWC: Resigned 7th May 2004

Domesticus

They're already inside the starting territory of Athens

Sanguinary Guardian's Avatar Primicerius

Why on Earth should Corinth and Thebes be independent factions? Corinth did nothing spectacular, apart from being occupied by the Antigonids, trying to rebel, re-claimed by the Macedonians and then conquered by the Achaean League. The heyday of Thebes is also long before the game's start. I mean, I can understand why Sparta and Athens are in, the first was very active at that time (albeit with Hellenistic army instead of Classical), and the second, well it's Athens. It's not classical Athens, but still. Epirus had to be in, it was a major player at that time, even after Pyrrhus. But I see no reason fro more City States. I would have taken Pegamon or even Rhodes over Athens any day.
    Last edited by Sanguinary Guardian; May 09, 2013 at 01:53 PM.

H ΕΛΛΑΔΑ κι ο ΕΛΛΗΝΙΣΜΟΣ είναι αξίες ιερότερες από οποιαδήποτε ειρήνη!

Despite all we have lost so far, our fire still burns...

Semisalis

Keep in mind: There are over 100 factions in the game and not many more provinces than factions. It's possible that not only will factions have ONE province (Parthia, Iceni, Sparta, etc) but some might have some cities in a province but not even an entire province.

I thought I've read somewhere that there are 57 provinces. If that is so, the claim of 100 factions seems outlandish.

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

Totally agree with Prometheus, Lepdius and Sanguinary Guardian. Thebes was destroyed by Alexander and alhough Cassander refounded it, it was rather insignificant during this period, while Corinth was a Macedonian garrison. In that aspect it must have a great fortress and a wealthy harbour to show how the Antigonids controlled Southern Greece from there.

@ Guardian Yeah 57 provinces and 183 regions (so about 3 per province). I'm really worried about Greece right now, if the artistical represantation is anywhere near the true campaign map there's no space for the Aitolian and Achaian League
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

Quote Originally Posted by Mausolos of Caria View Post
    @ Guardian Yeah 57 provinces and 183 regions (so about 3 per province). I'm really worried about Greece right now, if the artistical represantation is anywhere near the true campaign map there's no space for the Aitolian and Achaian League
    Perhaps they are emergent, even though they shouldn't be. Perhaps the victory conditions of either Sparta or Athens consist in forming one of the two leagues. I try to be optimistic, even though after the Teutoburg walkthrough and the Day1 "Free" DLC news, I am rather worried.

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinary Guardian View Post
    Perhaps they are emergent, even though they shouldn't be. Perhaps the victory conditions of either Sparta or Athens consist in forming one of the two leagues. I try to be optimistic, even though after the Teutoburg walkthrough and the Day1 "Free" DLC news, I am rather worried.
    Yeah that wouldn't make the most sense but I'd not rule it out that CA could do that... The Spartan campaign as well as the Macedon campaign would be boring without the Achaian League and without Corinth as a Macedonian stronghold. The Aitolian League on the other hand should prove good competition for Macedon and Epiros and we could see both sides trying to get the Aitolians on their side. So it also makes sense in Gameplay terms, especially because the three playable factions wouldn't be too close to each other.
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinary Guardian View Post
    I thought I've read somewhere that there are 57 provinces. If that is so, the claim of 100 factions seems outlandish.
    Most are just going to be cookie cutter factions I assume. With for example the Teutones and Cimbri being nearly the same as the Suebi but with green clothes or something. I imagine it is set up this way to allow you to go to war with individual "neutral" regions and trade with others, instead of the old way of having one "rebel" faction that you were always at war with. Plus with 183 regions, a lot of the factions will just have one region to call the own as opposed to the 2-5 regions the playable factions will have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast