Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Navigable Rivers

Default Navigable Rivers

Navigable River with ports mod.

You can use rivers in the same way as sea. This way strategic aspects of the game was more accented. You can transport your armies via sea and next rivers and finally land near your enemy (thanks god enemy can make the same action against you :tooth: ). AI is very smart using river actions. He can land suddenly near your unprotected province capital and lay the siege. That’s why spy’role is more important.

Generally speaking:

- you can build river ports,

- naval trade for inland towns and cities is possible,

- you can recruit river ships,
    - your units and ships can cross rivers,
    - you have to be aware of AI (very vicious ),
    - roads and bridges crossing rivers are not visible but trade remains the same (there are still fords instead of bridges, you can defend fords, too ).

Navigable rivers mod:

- has Loire, Po, Danube, Tiber navigable (it's only beginning, i want to learn your opinion).

- has new buildings (new river ports and buildings are available now only for towns: Alesia, Bourges, Mediolanium, Bononia, Ratiaria.

Military Haven

River Shipyard

- new units:

River Barge

Armoured River Barge

Last edited by limes; September 12, 2006 at 01:39 AM.

CLICK THE SIG !!! ANCIENT EMPIRES ELYSIUM MOD FOR RTW BI. WAY TO THE THRONE MOD FOR MTW2

Default Re: Navigable Rivers

It really looks good. No graphical errors from what I`ve seen. However, I don`t think you should be able to go all the way to the spring with your ships.

Quote Originally Posted by florin80
    It really looks good. No graphical errors from what I`ve seen. However, I don`t think you should be able to go all the way to the spring with your ships.
    I think so. I told about 10 big rivers. Rest would not be navigable at all. Big rivers would be navigable for instance in 70-80 %. I spent whole day trying to get satisfactory results. I'm thinking i got more than i suspected .
    I'm happy i finally set fords for river crossing. It makes defending crossings possible .

CLICK THE SIG !!! ANCIENT EMPIRES ELYSIUM MOD FOR RTW BI. WAY TO THE THRONE MOD FOR MTW2

hmmm can the ships pass the roads (bridges) which cross the rivers ?

Yes, That's Why I'm So Happy. Units On Bridges Can Even Defend Them .

Siddyus's Avatar Biarchus

That is a good idea plus the rivers looks more realistic. *nods*

Should rivers in RTR AE be navigable from spring to estuary?
    In my opinion rivers should be navigable from certain point.
    I want to select 10 big rivers and make them whole navigable. Rest could be navigable partially (like mountain part of rivers).
    Agreed.
    Whoever gives nothing, has nothing. The greatest misfortune is not to be unloved, but not to love.
    -Albert Camus

...so tell me more about your choices. Which rivers should be navigable? I have to know this because making 1 river navigable is hard as hell. I made 2 already and i'm fed up . I'm going to make 10 rivers available for sailing.

Well done!

Which 10 rivers are you using??

I would suggest Rhine, Rhone, Danube definately, but i dont know much about rivers ect.

Thanks to ARCHER29 for the amazing banners!! (I need to work out how to make it actually show the slideshow)

EB vs RTR!!!

I'll study the map then give my opinion.
    Whoever gives nothing, has nothing. The greatest misfortune is not to be unloved, but not to love.
    -Albert Camus

RTR without these rivers opened for sailing would be as Paris without Eiffel Tower .
    Rhine, Rhone, Danube, Loire

good. I sent you another pm. Do you have a picture of the map with the rivers on it. I can
    only find the map or the rivers.
    -Albert Camus

features_map? . It's enough. Mark some rivers on this map.
    Last edited by limes; August 27, 2006 at 03:07 PM.

Should we do that than have a poll about it? I don't know how to do that.
    -Albert Camus

Sorry Walrus, my typo, i meant "mark" not make . Do you use any graphical programm? If yes, simply mark the proper river. For instance line the river by use of red colour or give me geographical name.

vikrant's Avatar The Messiah of innocence

few my thoughts
    1 linking red sea to meditarranian through nile
    2 making ufretis and tigres rivers navigable as far as possible
    3 if possible then linking red sea to arabian see it may destort the map lttle bit but will add realism
    and evrything i mentioned is historically accurate .

and can u tell me what will hapen to naval trade
    Last edited by vikrant; August 27, 2006 at 03:42 PM.
    Under the Patronage of CHANDRASHEKHAR AZAD {prarara}
    patron of selenius4tsd ; tornnight
    use report button to help us keep twc clean

I can't do it because I'm busy with the units. I second Vikrant1986.
    -Albert Camus

Vikrant, no problem, 3 days of work :tooth: .

First problem is making rivers navigable. As you can read over "the guild" they developed "normal" navigation. It means that they used "the sea" tiles making rivers. I used combined river tiles with sea. Using only sea tiles makes look of rivers not good (square places along the river coast). Moreover, description of Melendil placed over "the guild" is not accurrate. To make navigable rivers with acceptable graphics i had to..., not important :tooth:. Making rivers is rather matter of experiment.
    After that i will look at matters of trade, bonuses, etc..
    finally after that I want to make Kalis "river port" building visible on strategy map near towns with access to navigable rivers.

limes
    Last edited by limes; August 27, 2006 at 04:28 PM.

vikrant's Avatar The Messiah of innocence

shall i do that
    i have little experience with campaign map modding
    Under the Patronage of CHANDRASHEKHAR AZAD {prarara}
    patron of selenius4tsd ; tornnight
    use report button to help us keep twc clean

Slaxx Hatmen's Avatar This isn't the crisis!

Does this mean that river ports are possible?
    Under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast