Thread: Wrath of the Serpent

Default Wrath of the Serpent

Hello everyone!

I'm an newly registered member but I was a silent reader of this forum for some time now , that's because I finally wanted to write something.
    I'd like to make a Harad AAR because I am an unpatient kind of person and frequently I just start alot of new games and not finish any of them so I'm also (not only of course) creating this to keep me motivated to play one game from start to the end .

This will be my first time writing something like that. I got an idea for a plot of this story but I want everybody to post criticism, opinions and ideas, I will be very grateful First thing is obviously fighting Gondor but what happens next I will keep in secret (because maybe someone will post some great ideas! ) Please tell me if this size of pictures is okay or post full-size images to make things easier to read? Also, I am waiting for Your advices I could put into the story as the Chieftain's council

I hope there will be no misunderstandings with my english and that you will like my story.

Chapter 1

Khuzaymah was sitting in the main hall of Hyarmen, doing the paper work that every ruler is doing. Many years have passed and now, almost all the tribes are finally united under a single banner - the Black Serpent. Many of the tribes are aggresive and proud, but they don't see the benefits of living in a bigger community, instead they cling to their pitiful lives as rats and outlaws. Khuzaymah wanted to conquer as many territories as possible without bloodshed. It's not because he didn't liked to fight or was afraid. He was a wise king. Harad was at war with Gondor for many long years, and war isn't cheap. What's the point in killing, burning, destroying the tribes when Khuzaymah needed them. His victories over the years of war, serving as a captain of his father's army made him a great warrior and even greater commander. Now that the old man died, it is Khuzaymah's duty to carry the banner again and lead the Haradrim to a better living. Two weeks ago, diplomats were sent to the remaining tribes - Khand, Erelond and to people of South Gondor who did not saw Denethor as their king.

-My Lord... there are messages from the tribes, my Lord.

Khuzaymah's councillor wasn't good at giving bad news to the Chieftain

-And?
    -They... They want to fight, my Lord. People sent to Khand never returned, spies report that they were hanged on the city gate...
    -what about others? What about Tir Ethraid, Barad Harn and other cities?
    -Your men came back with terrible wound, my Lord...
    -Fine, I will give them a lesson, send word to my oldes son, Qusay in Umbar. I need his corsairs to raid the island city nearby, also call Musab and other generals. We need to gather forces in Harondor and conquer the northern territories, except for Jibran and Utbah, send them to Khand, they will know what to do. Only tell them to remember that we are not the only kingdom that would like to take Khand.
    -Yes my Lord.

So the forces were sent and preparations for battle begun. Corsairs from provinces surrounding Umbar are gathering. Gimilkhad has beed chosen a governor of Umbar while the Corsair Lord Qusay will be out of town, killing and plundering - cause this were his favourite things to do. Constant attacks on gondorian trade ships, blocking ports, pillaging villages, Lord Qusay is good with this. He is bearing the spear of Fuinur, weapon that only the heir of the Serpent can carry. Khuzaymah's younger son- Musab, is taking his forces north. He has much to learn but definitely warfare is his thing.

War isn't cheap. Chieftain's advisor showed him financial summary of the past six months. Things were awful.

- My Lord, you need to decide something in the matter of gold! Our treasury is almost empty! Shall we rise the taxes my lord?
    - Yes, for the sake of the kingdom, people shall pay so that we can stabilise our financial situation. Order the builders to concentrate on farms and grain exchanges at first.
    - Yes, my Lord. Gimilkhad said that there are precious ore veins near Umbar, maybe we could use it?
    - Of course we will... Umbar is already a huge city, build ages ago. Build mines there, make use of what fate has given us and rise taxes as high as possible.
    - Yes, my Lord, you are wise as your father was, my Lord.
    - My old man was a fool...
    - But... My Lord! Your father...
    - Silence. I have no wish of speaking about my father now. Leave and rise taxes, especially in Hyarman and Umbar. Send words to my generals to make their work quickly. Do not starve them out, make siege engines and assault quickly.
    - Yes, my Lord.

Next year, forces started to gather in Harondor, leaded by Musab, Chieftain's younger son, Haarith and Yaman. Spies went further north to see the situation in Ithilien. Words were heard, that the east part of Osgiliath, controlled by Sauron was under siege. Khuzaymah was pretty happy with this news because he disliked Sauron, opposite to his father. However the bad news were that a large in numbers Gondor army had arrived to West Osgiliath, consisting mainly of militias, volunteers and at least one heavily armoured infantry unit. Corsair warband sailed to Erelond, Chieftain expected the city to be captured within a year. Time was of the essence. Taxes made people in Hyarmen unhappy. Desperate needs call for desperate methods, but simple people could not see this.

- My Lord! My Lord! The people are on the streets! They're hostile!

Khuzaymah sighted, he never liked when someone opposed him or worse - disrupt his plans.

- Dispatch one unit of spearmen, they shall defend the palace and the barracks. Avoid fighting.

But it was unavoidable... Combat ignited with the angry mob. 158 of them served as a valuable lesson. Chieftain was a wise and confident man. And a wise ruler must know that his people must respect or fear him. Since respect collapsed, fear must come in it's place in order to bring peace to the city. Same thing happened in Umbar. More citizens mean more effort to keep them in place.

Next month spies reported that Mordor forces have relieved themselves of the siege. These were rather good news because Mordor was his ally and strenghtening of Gondor would be dangerous for Harad. Early this morning an old warrior asked for the hand of Chieftain's daughter - Nusaybah and he was refused. Khuzaymah cared much about his children, also knew about their purpose. Sons would grow up as warriors, generals, eventually one of them would take the place of the Black Serpent. Daughters would marry strong men who would serve as generals and governors of the kingdom. Ubayy was a good candidate but Chieftain thought about him as too old for his young girl.

Qusay and the rest of the commanding generals were already sieging the cities. Siege engines were built, now they only waited for a good time to strike.

Next month will be a month of sword and spear...

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Wrath of the Serpent

Good work, I like both the stile and the idea behind the story, images are ok for me (better than huge ones ) Just keep in mind that AARs written in the form of tales might take ages to be finished, so do not give up and let us know more!
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader