Thread: Short Rifle mesh location?

Default Short Rifle mesh location?

Does anyone know where the model mesh for the NTW short rifle is located?

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Short Rifle mesh location?

Equipments files are located in ...\variantmodels\equipment folder.
    You will find rigid_equip_nap_shortrifle in the mesh2.variant_part_mesh file.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Thank you! Before I begin, any tips on importing this from NTW to ETW?

Patrician Artifex

You can use the VPM tool to convert NTW models to or from .ms3d file format.
    But you will have to use Ultimate Unwrap 3D with its ETW plugin to convert ETW euro_equip file to .ms3d file format.

Then, use MilkShape to rework the equipment file.
    Last edited by wangrin; May 06, 2013 at 01:05 AM.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Is it possible to fully import or merge the NTW weapon from one equipment file to the other in ETW in UU3D?

On a different story, I tried inserting a weapon from one ETW mod into another ETW mods equipment file in UU3D. I managed to save the weapons group as a specific file and insert it into the other equipment file in UU3D, but once inserted I did not know how to assign the weapon to a bone, so could not save it. So I then tried another approach and deleted all groups but the desired weapon from the equipment file, and then merged it with the desired equipment file of the other mod. This seemed to work. However in game, there was an obvious graphics glitch... with the screen being covered in flashing, flickering gray mess... I could see through it enough though to see that the units in the game were carrying the weapon I had merged into the equipment file (by that point I had also entered into the warscape db)... Any idea what I may have done wrong, or if it's even full feasible to move weapons from one equipment file to another in UU3d?

Patrician Artifex

To add/modify equipment model for ETW, you have to use this process :

1. Converting model file
      • euro_equip.variant_weighted_mesh --(convert to, using UU3D)--> euro_equip.ms3d

2. Working on model file
      • euro_equip.ms3d --(creating/modifying/merging model using MilkShape)--> euro_equip.ms3d

3. Converting model file
      • euro_equip.ms3d --(convert to, using UU3D)--> euro_equip.variant_weighted_mesh

But each step can generate bugs/problems :
    1. Converting model file
      • when you convert variant_weighted_mesh to .ms3d, longest vertex groups names are truncated. If you don't rename those vertex groups according to their original name, the game will be unable to use them

2. Working on model file
      • assigning materials :
        • each model must be tied to a material (texture).
        • contrary to units, materials are define inside the model

• each material has is own UVmap

UVmap examples :

• vanilla euro_equip UVmap :

As you can note, UVmap automatically adapt to texture size.

• NPI mod equipments UVmap

This means that, when you merge models, you have to take care about how you assign materials.
    If not, your equipments could have a wrong texture.

• rigging model :

contrary to unit models, equipments must be tied to only one joint (bone).
    Weapons are generally linked to weapon1, weapon2 and weapon3 joints, but other equipments can be tied to hips for example.

1. Converting model file
      • When you convert your model file back to variant_weighted_mesh and longest vertex groups names are still truncated, those equipment will not be show ingame

Ok, this is awesome, getting my head around it. I have three questions about Milkshape:
    - Is it possible to duplicate/clone a model and its vertices? Going to edit and duplicate selection doesn't seem to be working for me, I'm trying it by merging in a second copy of the same equipment file to get duplicates of the same models.
    - How do you actually assign a weapon to a bone? I can't figure it out.
    - How do you assign a texture file to a model, like you did with your drums?

Patrician Artifex

1. Duplicating models with MilkShape
      • MilkShape duplicate faces and not only vertex.
        To select faces :
        • Go to MODEL tab > SELECT > FACE > by Vertex
        • Select face by selecting vertex, all faces tied to those vertex will be selected
        • Go to EDIT > DUPLICATE SELECTION or CTRL+D
    2. Assigning vertex to joints
      I suggest you to have a look here : Modeling & DB. Milkshape & UU3D. How wangrin and I use them
      You will find a link to this tutorial : [TUTO] W.I.P Merging models
    3. Assigning material to vertex groups
      • Using MilkShape
        • Select vertex groups or faces (using the same process as for duplicating model)
        • Go to MATERIAL tab > select Material > clic on ASSIGN
      • Using UU3D
        Select faces in UVMap or select vertex groups > right clic > ASSIGN > MATERIAL > select material

4. Creating new material
      • Using MilkShape
        • Go to MATERIAL tab > NEW
        • Rename new material
      • Using UU3D
        • Go to SCENE windows > MATERIALS > right clic > select ADD
        • Clic on new texture name to rename it

Last edited by wangrin; May 06, 2013 at 01:48 PM.

Trying to export a mesh from UU3D for use in ETW, get the following: warning, found multiple weights per vertex (greater than 2)... any ideas? I made sure the items I added to the equipment file were assigned to one bone. This thing is frustrating.
    Last edited by pappagoat; May 07, 2013 at 06:19 AM.

Just to try and see what's going on, I imported a fresh equipment file from ETW to UU3D to MS. Didn't make any changes, and exported it back to UU3D. Tried to save in UU3D as a mesh and again the above error came up "warning, found multiple weights per vertex (greater than 2)" ... I don't get it, I hadn't even made any changes!

Patrician Artifex

Is your process :

euro_equipment.variant_weighted_mesh --(UU3D)--> euro_equipment.ms3d and then euro_equipment.ms3d --(UU3D)--> euro_equipment.variant_weighted_mesh

When you save your .ms3d file back to euro_equipment.variant_weighted_mesh using UU3D, did you select Variant Type 5 (equipment) instead of Variant Type 1 (Units) in the export windows ?

Can you send me your files ?
    I will have a look at them.

Yep that's the process, and I save as variant type 5.

Did this issue ever get resolved??? ""warning, found multiple weights per vertex (greater than 2)""

I am having the same issue with the euro-equip file... I even re-downloaded and installed the etw plug-in for UU3D, just to make sure I hadn't missed that part. I have been able to modify the equip file before, but its been a long time since the last time i did it.

Let me know.

I have modded Empire quite a bit, so I am not sure what is still causing my issue, unless i truly have to or more weights associated with a vertex... but It does not appear in MS3D

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Error.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	338251

Appears my previous problems have been resolved... just adding link here for future reference.

Make sure to use MilkShape 1.8.4 as opposed to 1.8.5 beta... and clear your vertex weights from new meshes being imported.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...4#post15049804