Thread: Learn-by-Example Modelling 03: Human Body

Icon1 Learn-by-Example Modelling 03: Human Body

Version: 29/04/2013

Introduction In general, there are two methods of modelling in MilkShape. Each has its own uses. In the first tutorial of these series I used the first method of using simple geometry (cylinders, boxes and so on) to make a dagger. That method is suitable for models with high symmetry, or where symmetry is desired and using simple geometry makes it so much easier. In this tutorial for the most part we are going to use the second method - modelling from vertices. By that I mean that we will create vertices and then join them to create faces. This method, although more time consuming, definitely produces best results when working with irregular models (i.e. low symmetry). I decided the best example would be to make a human body, and besides the resulting model can be a very useful open-source material for the modding community.

Part 1: Reference
    First we need to find reference material to work with. When making complicated models it is good to have reference illustrations from at least two projections. I found this nice reference image and edited it slightly:

To use the reference in MilkShape, I first split it into two separate images. After creating an empty file with M2TW skeleton by just deleting all the groups from another model, the reference images can be loaded for the front and right-side views (right click -> choose background image -> adjust scale and offset so the image fits the skeleton well). Don't forget to reveal the skeleton as the reference may not perfectly fit, the skeleton is the main guide for us.

Legs via Simple Geometry Method
    Before we start, it is important to realize that we only need to do one side of the body, the other half can be mirrored later. I will start from the left thigh and shin as this are perhaps the easiest parts to make. I used the cylinder tool with 6 stacks and 8 slices and made adjustments using Scale and Move functions. Here I did not follow the reference image entirely due to skeleton and joints positioning.

Part 3: Feet via Modelling from Scratch Method
    We can now move to the feet. From now on, things will get more complicated. The shape is very irregular and needs to be made from individual vertices. This method requires some imagination and can be time consuming.

General Procedure A mesh is a combination of polygons. A polygon is essentially a triangle in space with coordinates of its vertices and the index of the vertices assigned to each polygon (face) being stored in a form of a table. 3D models are essentially tables with a lot of numbers, most of which are x-, y- and z-coordinates. There are other bits of information such as direction of normal vectors (shading and lighting), which may cause split mesh seam problems, UV-map coordinates (textures) and names of groups and comments and so on. This means to create a model we need to create a lot of polygons. So here is a procedure to create a simple polygon:

1) Create three vertices by using Vertex function (F5) and hitting into space.

2) Use Face function (F6) and select vertices one by one in anti-clockwise direction. This is important because faces have only one visible side, and to make the face that is turned towards you visible, it has to be done in anti-clockwise direction. If you want the opposite side to be visible then do it in clockwise direction. The vertex order can be changed in Face -> Reverse Vertex Order (Ctrl + Shift + F) in the top panel. Another important note, when creating new polygons almost always there will be wrong lighting and shadows, to fix this press Face -> Smooth All (Ctrl + M). This may cause split mesh seams but more on that later.

3) The resulting face should be visible in 3D view panel. Make sure it is set to either flat-shaded or smooth-shaded views. I would also advice to enable wireframe overlay. Note that flat-shaded and smooth-shaded views are also available in 2D view panels.

NOTE: Generally, we want to create vertices in places where surfaces bend (i.e. corners, turning points, curvatures, edges and so on) and avoid using unnecessary vertices (i.e. using 8 triangles to create a simple flat square, where only 2 are sufficient). One needs to judge how detailed the model should be, and generally should avoid creating very high-poly models to reduce fps drops in game.

1) Here I started from the side view and created the two lower layers of vertices and corresponding faces, and made some move/scale adjustments to fit.

2) I then decided to split the thumb and added additional vertices (this is where imagination is welcome). Also, some polygons were added.

3) Next the foot was connect to the leg with another layer of vertices in between. Notice how there is a split mesh seam. This can be fixed by using "Align Normals" plugin for MilkShape, or any similar tool. The download link and detailed information can be found in my first tutorial.

4) Finally I made some adjustments to make it look more natural.

After completing the basic model don't hesitate to delete some faces, vertices, create new ones, readjust and so on to improve the model.

Part 4: Torso and Head
    We can now move on to the abs and torso. The technique is similar. I moved upwards layer by layer adding vertices and joining them into polygons while adjusting their positions to fit the reference image. This can be tricky and time consuming, but this is definitely rewarding. I left empty hole for the arm. Notice how both legs and arms have 8 sides (compared to 5-6 on vanilla models) and the body has 6x2=12 sides. This is because I am trying to make a slightly more detailed model, yet simple for editing, UV-mapping, which will run smooth on PCs. Another thing to keep in mind is that the centerline vertices have to be exactly at the center on x-axis (i.e. x-coordinate = 0). To achieve this we can first select all middle vertices and use Scale function with x-coordinate setting set to 0. This collapses all the vertices into a flat yz-plane. Then we can use Move function with x-coordinate set to 0 and Absolute setting (i.e. not relative). This is necessary for duplication of the other side at the later stages. First image summarizes the procedures in 3D view. The second image is the outcome in front and side views.

I have made a head model before, which fits just nicely in this model, so I will not be making it again in this tutorial as it is very tedious and the purpose of this tutorial is too just show the general procedures that can be employed in modelling. Here is how it looks like together with the torso:

Notice how the model is already duplicated and mirrored. This is done by simply selecting (faces) of the half-model and duplicating (Ctrl + D), Vertex -> Mirror (Left - Right). The mirrored part will look weird due to wrong normals. This is fixed by pressing Smooth All (ctrl + A). However this will leave split-mesh seams. Detailed explanation how this can be fixed has been explained here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?586853. At this stage I kept all parts separate from each other for UV-mapping later.

Part 5: Hand
    Referring to the animation below:

1) Here I used small cylinders to make fingers. Then I created new vertices and joined them manually into polygons to resemble the shape of a hand.

2) Just to make a clean work, I decided to remake the inner palm area.

3) 2D and 3D views with the rest of the body

Finally the 3D part is complete:

Part 6: UV-mapping and Texturing
    I am not going to go into details of UV-mapping and texturing. Please refer to this tutorial on composite UV-mapping: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ite-UV-Mapping. Here I am showing the preparation and directions from where each part should be UV-mapped:

The resulting UV-map:

and part of the texture:

NOTE: Eventually legs were remapped from the side rather than front (leg UV-map was separated them from the torso). This way texturing was made easier and texture splits were avoided. This type of alterations may always occur.

Part 7: Final Model

The model has been released as open-source material for the community - here

In pursuit of higher quality modifications,
    Sandy

Last edited by G|I|Sandy; April 28, 2013 at 11:48 PM.

Raritу's Avatar Glück auf!
    Artifex

Default Re: Learn-by-Example Modelling 03: Human Body

A very nicely-done example of box modelling, +rep

I find it's kinda hard to follow with all the gifs switching around though.
    Honored filly of M and happily taking my glance over Milner and Diamat

Excellent tutorial! + rep
    A must read for budding modellers.

ThatOtherGuy's Avatar Tiro
    Denver or Seattle, Depends on the time of year.

OK, so I read over your tutorial and it's good however there are two problems, one visual and one absolutely vital for fluid animation:

One, the guy doesn't look like he has any shoulder muscles. At all. Also anatomically he looks a little... off. Maybe it's just that the arms look really thing compared to the body.

Two, you should have more edge loops around the parts of the body in which there will be most of the movement, the elbow and shoulders for example. It really helps prevent the body and texture from stretching when the model in in action.

Just keep those in mind but other than that good job.