Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012-13 Modding Awards

Default 2012-13 Modding Awards

Come ye all who wish to help run what shall be the best Modding Awards of all time.

Anyone should be able to post here, Citizen and Peregrinus alike.

The Team
    Hex Supervisor: Poach

Members:
    Major Darling
    Princess Luna
    Obi Wan Asterix
    Diamat
    Bethencourt
    Muizer
    Finlander

The format I suggest we use was created by the lovely Muizer

Spoiler for Format
    Having been on the committee last year, and having discussed the results and possible improvements extensively with fellow committee members, there are certain conclusions that have to be taken on-board.

The big issue is that in a popular vote, people will vote for the complete package. Considering big mods tend to be the cumulative result of multiple releases over multiple years, this means there's a risk of awards being won, at least in part, on the strength of releases from earlier years: content which has already competed in previous awards.

It was the general opinion of the committee that this would be unfair competition for new, and as yet lesser known, mods. For the 2011 awards, we resolved to only accept entries in a category if a substantial amount of work had been added in that category since the last awards. This freed up some categories to be contested by new mods. However, in whatever categories the major mods could enter, they still divided the awards between them.

IMHO it is best to just accept the nature of the voting. Only if a mod has not entered before can we be fairly certain it won't win on the strength of material entered for earlier editions. Yet, we also have to award continued work on older mods. Finally, we can't create too many different awards, or there won't be any competition at all.

My suggestion would be the following set of categories for each game

- new mod awards (mod categories): only contested by mods that have not been entered in any shape or form before
    - old mod awards (mod categories): contested either by all mods or by all mods with new work since last awards
    - modder awards (modder categories): contested by all modders for work not entered before in any shape or form.

And, please, don't tell me this is unfair to this or that mod or modder, unless you have a better solution for the situation I described.

Spoiler for Award List from Last Year
    S2TW

Mod Awards
    -Favourite Mod
    -Most Immersive Mod
    -Most Interesting Scenario/Innovative Mod
    -Best Land/Naval Combat Overhaul
    -Best Miniature Mod
    -Best Unit Pack
    -Campaign AI

Modder Awards
    -Modder
    -DB Editor
    -3D Modeller/Texture Artist/2D Artist
    -Scripter
    -Tool Maker
    -Tutor
    -Historical Researcher
    -Movie Maker
    -Rising Star

NTW

Mod Awards
    -Favourite Mod
    -Most Immersive Mod
    -Best Miniature Mod
    -Best Unit Pack
    -Campaign AI

Modder Awards
    -Modder
    -DB Editor
    -Scripter
    -Tool Maker
    -Tutor
    -Historical Researcher
    -Movie Maker
    -Rising Star

ETW

Mod Awards
    -Favourite Mod
    -Most Immersive Mod
    -Best Miniature Mod
    -Best Unit Pack
    -Campaign AI

Modder Awards
    -Modder
    -DB Editor
    -Scripter
    -Tool Maker
    -Tutor
    -Historical Researcher
    -Movie Maker
    -Rising Star

M2TW

Mod Awards
    -Battle balance
    -Strategic balance
    -Visual Content
    -Written Content
    -Audio Content
    -Combination award
    -Mod Improvements and Expansions

Modder Awards
    -Coder
    -Scripter
    -Mapper
    -Modeller
    -Texturer
    -Interface artist
    -Tool maker
    -Tutor
    -Researcher

RTW

Mod Awards
    -Battle balance
    -Strategic balance
    -Visual Content
    -Written Content
    -Audio Content
    -Combination award

Modder Awards
    -Coder
    -Scripter
    -Mapper
    -Modeller
    -Texturer
    -Interface artist
    -Tool maker
    -Tutor
    -Researcher
    Last edited by M D; April 28, 2013 at 01:50 PM.

Vađarholmr's Avatar Archivum Scriptorium
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: 2012-13 Modding Awards

This looks good, but also like it would require a lot of work. I would be happy to help with it.
    {I cook weird stuff}-{Patronised by the fearsome Chloe}
    „[...] ţví ađ međ lögum skal land vort byggja en eigi međ ólögum eyđa.“
    (The Frosta-thing law, 1260)

Is acher in gaíth innocht,
    fu-fuasna fairggae findfolt:
    ní ágor réimm mora minn
    dond láechraid lainn ua Lothlind.

Obi Wan Asterix's Avatar IN MEDIO STAT VIRTUS
    Somewhere in a lost valley in the Italian Alps

Darling! Sirs and other sirs.

Thank yea for this festive gathering. I have lived through all modding awards, and stood by and by ardently supporting the great Justinian's craftsmanship to create this festive and merit-based institution that tries to say "thank you" to the the very fiber that keeps us here. I never won an award, but my reward was to see many well deserved individuals feel the appreciation of this truly democratic applause.

Alas. Maybe not, but its better than a "but".

I believe it is time to leave a mother's milk, and recognize that a community which grew around CA is no longer only that. For several years our citizens enshrine great works for Mount and Blade, Paradox's harvest, Tripwire, D.I.C.E., Minecraft, Matrix and so many other fantastic frameworks for our craft.

I say, with full bias of the recent shattering of 6 years of work, but with the presence of unbiased intellect that has though of this prior, and thinks it clearly again:

It is time to open the modding award to a category of "non-CA games." What say yea brothers, brothers and sister?
    All are welcome to relax at Asterix's Campagnian Villa with its Vineyard and Scotchbarrel
    Prefer to stay at home? Try Asterix's Megamamoth FM2010 Update
    Progeny of the retired Great Acutulus (If you know who he is you have been at TWC too long) and wooer of fine wombs to spawn 21 curial whining snotslingers and be an absentee daddy to them

Longest Serving Staff Member of TWC under 3 Imperators** 1st Speaker of the House ** Original RTR Team Member (until 3.2) ** Knight of Saint John ** RNJ, Successors, & Punic Total War Team Member

TROM 3 Team - Founder of Ken no Jikan **** Back with a modding vengeance! Yes I will again promise to take on the work of 5 mods and dissapear!

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

I recommend we have the modder awards categories look like this. I made only one small change, as indicated in red, to give more credit to not so big names.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

S2TW

Modder Awards
    -Modder
    -DB Editor
    -Scripter
    -Tool Maker
    -Tutor
    -Historical Researcher
    -Movie Maker
    -Rising Star
    -Best Submod/Minimod/Unit Pack Creator

NTW

Modder Awards
    -Modder
    -DB Editor
    -Scripter
    -Tool Maker
    -Tutor
    -Historical Researcher
    -Movie Maker
    -Rising Star

ETW

Modder Awards
    -Modder
    -DB Editor
    -Scripter
    -Tool Maker
    -Tutor
    -Historical Researcher
    -Movie Maker
    -Rising Star

M2TW

Modder Awards
    -Coder
    -Scripter
    -Mapper
    -Modeller
    -Texturer
    -Interface artist
    -Tool maker
    -Tutor
    -Researcher

RTW

Modder Awards
    -Coder
    -Scripter
    -Mapper
    -Modeller
    -Texturer
    -Interface artist
    -Tool maker
    -Tutor
    -Researcher

Just one thing, the name 2012-2013 is not correct. It should be 2012 only, 2013 has not finished yet.

Well I assumed the next ones would be 2013-14, the reason being otherwise we exclude anything from January onwards

Finlander's Avatar ★Absolutely Fin-bulous★
    Content Emeritus

Was it missed or why Movie maker -award is not counted for RTW and M2TW but are for ETW, NTW and TW:S2? Same for the Rising Star.

• Son of MasterBigAb; • Father of St. PolycarpeKahvipannuRadboudMhaedrosGeMiNi][SaNDy
    FlinnUndyingNephalimKAM 2150
    Charerg

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex Magistrate

Quote Originally Posted by Bethencourt View Post
    Just one thing, the name 2012-2013 is not correct. It should be 2012 only, 2013 has not finished yet.
    And let's not forget that there are a couple of mods released in late 2011, that were given the choice to enter for 2012. So, there really is no "released later than" date, so much as a requirement that the work has not been entered before.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

I thought that for the nominations we should create some sort of form/survey like Augustus Lucifer did a couple of years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Finlander View Post
    Was it missed or why Movie maker -award is not counted for RTW and M2TW but are for ETW, NTW and TW:S2? Same for the Rising Star.
    I Can only agree with this.

For M02TW and RTW I found there is only a few categories. There are really active on modding parts, and this does not reflect all the differtents mods of M2TW and RTW. In fact this is not adapted to total convertion.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    -Battle balance
    -Strategic balance
    -Visual Content
    -Written Content
    -Audio Content
    -Combination award
    -Best historical mod
    -Best Fantasy mod
    -Most Immersive mod
    -Most Innovative mod (Yes, some like HTW or WTW really presents news)

Perhaps can we also add something for mod that are not out for the moment, as most waited mod, best previews...

Arandir, what you say is possible if the competition is opened to all mods. Last year, mods could only enter in the categories in which they released new content in that year. Perhaps you can imagine that rather reduces the number of candidates. Even with the generic categories we had then, there were wins by default in some categories,because only one mod qualified. Please keep that in mind.

As for un-released mods: Previews are site content, so perhaps they deserve a place alongside other site content in the member awards. The mod awards should be for mods: things that people can actually download and play. You can't play a preview.
    Last edited by Muizer; April 29, 2013 at 03:55 AM.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

There is something I do not understand : does the modder need to approve his completition, because for the all categories I add I can found really good mods for this.

About previews I would not say it belong to the site, but to the mod himself. As an exemple I translated with Nelduin many previews into french, because it interest people for such mods. And sometimes a preview his more than just images : it can be an historical manual, of fiction or reality. For exemple I can tlak about the EB preview or the Dragondawn one. And there is people who work on this previews, who can spend day of it, taking the good picture ... I really think this is a job you cannot deny.

@ arandir, I think the format is explained somewhere, I'd rather not have to repeat it.

About the previews, what I mean above all is that previewed work should not compete in the awards, as would be the case for a "most promising" award. Promises are nothing IMHO. Now, I suppose you could create an award for "best PR". But that's different.

Why no Category for the new released TED ?

Why not Best Battlefield map ?

just on the subject I 'd like to point out that a selection for best map shoudl be based not on the general beauty but also on the playability , if I fill the whole map with Thousands of buildings to create a surely nice city but then I move at 1fps with my army then is not really a good map ...

Also maps shoudl be tested on MP interaction because the AI has some lag issues on any map beyond 1 vs 1 .

BTW I propose to design the new modding awards and the future modding awards for RTWII as well ...
    Last edited by PROMETHEUS ts; June 05, 2013 at 07:03 AM.

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

Just here to support Prometheus suggestion above as well as comment on this suggestion by Prometeus as well: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=#post12905761

Since I can't post in that thread I'll give my feedback here. Hope OK, if not, please feel free to move, delete, merge as necessary.

I'm not sure if I understand the "legacy rewards" correctly. Is it the intention to (1) award members for past contributions, (2) award members for contributions prior to 2007 because the awards were not in effect at that time or (3) to award past contributions to mods still being used today?

I think all three reasons are valid and would be a good addition to the modding awards. I also agree with Prom that there are many old timers who should be recognized for the work they did as it had a significant impact on the current success of TWC. However, i'm not sure what the best way would be to recognise exceptional modders while at the same time not neglecting the very successful RTW mods like RTR, EB, RS etc.

re this years modding awards: I would like to se a modding award for the best Mod Leader and/or a team-based award. Some mods are one-man shows and others are made by a team of modders. One of the really satisfying things in modding - in my opinion - is to create an awesome mod together with others who share your interest. This can be really difficult, so a Team Work and/or Mod Leader award could maybe be an incitament for other to get involved in modding. We sure as hell need some more bright people to tackle the warscape engine.

/KP

Quote Originally Posted by King Philip II View Post
    Just here to support Prometheus suggestion above as well as comment on this suggestion by Prometeus as well: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...=#post12905761

Since I can't post in that thread I'll give my feedback here. Hope OK, if not, please feel free to move, delete, merge as necessary.

I'm not sure if I understand the "legacy rewards" correctly. Is it the intention to (1) award members for past contributions, (2) award members for contributions prior to 2007 because the awards were not in effect at that time or (3) to award past contributions to mods still being used today?

I think all three reasons are valid and would be a good addition to the modding awards. I also agree with Prom that there are many old timers who should be recognized for the work they did as it had a significant impact on the current success of TWC. However, i'm not sure what the best way would be to recognise exceptional modders while at the same time not neglecting the very successful RTW mods like RTR, EB, RS etc.

re this years modding awards: I would like to se a modding award for the best Mod Leader and/or a team-based award. Some mods are one-man shows and others are made by a team of modders. One of the really satisfying things in modding - in my opinion - is to create an awesome mod together with others who share your interest. This can be really difficult, so a Team Work and/or Mod Leader award could maybe be an incitament for other to get involved in modding. We sure as hell need some more bright people to tackle the warscape engine.

/KP
    King Philip the past awards have been already voted and accepted, now its just pending implementation to when there will be resources and time for doing it , I have already created the four "shiny" medals for the winners of past awards .

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS ts View Post
    King Philip the past awards have been already voted and accepted, now its just pending implementation to when there will be resources and time for doing it , I have already created the four "shiny" medals for the winners of past awards .
    Roger, so I'm a little too late with my opinion. No problem at all, I think any recognicion* TWC makes to legacy modders is awesome. I also agree with you that previous winners like SignifierOne, Darth and yourself and many others should be awarded. However, with all the new awards being introduced then there is still room for some "legacy love"

/KP

double-post

btw, why do we have awards for ETW?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast