Thread: Tips for a Kievan Rus campaign

Yerevan's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Tips for a Kievan Rus campaign

Hi, I would certainly appreciate any tip on my on-going campaign. So, here are some questions :

How can I manage my generals so they won't feel "they are not appreciated" ?

As teh Kievan people who are exactly my dearest friends and my worse ennemies ?

Putting one general in one town makes his upkeep free, what if I put a general in a village/castle ?

MMh, maybe this is enough for today. Just wanted to add that, this is a such a beautiful mod !

I found the wiki page, but some questions stays unanswered.
    Last edited by Yerevan; April 27, 2013 at 08:29 AM.
    " Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! "

Outrider's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: Tips for a Kievan Rus campaign

Good day to you Yerevan,
    I'm glad to see others who play as Kievan Rus (although I prefer playing as the nomads).

When it comes to disloyal generals I have only ONE rule: never ever adopt – blood runs thicker than water.

Game-wise I always side with the cumans (otherwise they will be a pain in the **) and there is no hope of expanding east across the steppes anyway. If I were you I would create trade right with every single faction except Suzdal and Novgorod (if you are about to take over the entire land of the Rus).

Yes free upkeep goes for villages as well and this should be used to its fullest potential – like taking the villages outside the bigger cities and placing one general in each before you siege the city.

Hope I could be of some help.
    Last edited by Outrider; April 28, 2013 at 06:25 AM. Reason: sorry for bad änglish ;)
    True friends stab you in the front

Double post
    Last edited by Outrider; April 28, 2013 at 08:25 AM.

Triple post...please delete
    Last edited by Outrider; April 28, 2013 at 06:28 AM.

Yerevan's Avatar Campidoctor

Thanks Outrider for those advices. Yes they are helping me a lot. About general's loyalty, you're right the one who had the traits " does not feel apprecoiated" were those I adopted. In fact I had adoption proposals every turns at the beginning at the campaign ! I just took twice, but I already have clues about their lack of loyalty.

Ok, I'll try to have the more support I can from non-rus factions.
    Yes, those village next to the citiuies seems to have a very important strategical value . I like that feature in the mod.

Good day to you.
    " Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! "

I have limited experience with the mod but I also like to ally with the Cumans. They have often been on the verge of war and since conquering their lands is irrelevant to the victory conditions I have made it so far the central aspect of Kievan diplomacy to keep them on my side. I also have trade rights (and alliance) with the Byzantines because of their resources. But you can probably not be an ally with everyone without risking a drop in reputation if war breaks out, unless you can really put in the money and effort to keep all those alliances strong. If I remember correctly, conquering all of Russia will probably not be enough to satisfy the victory conditions in terms of the number of settlements needed, so you probably need to choose one other faction you will not be in very friendly terms with. Lithuania or Hungary are options. Lithuania seemed uninterested in the Kievan diplomatic overtures and is probably the least attractive potential ally. Also your armies may not need to go through the territory of other factions if you end up at war with Lithuania and you will not be too far from your base.