Thread: Fighting Elephants with the Spanish

Default Fighting Elephants with the Spanish

I have a REAL trouble fighting Carthagenian elphants in Spain when starting my campaign.
    I am using DarthMod 7.0 and the elephants have realy good stats there - like 85 defense!!!
    With my humble spanish army - scutarii, pikemen and some cavalery, I am almost at despair against a single unit of Warelephants. What can I do? I know spearmen, dogs, pigs or archers can do the job, but the Iberians have none of those...

Any ideas? Thanks

Default Re: Fighting Elephants with the Spanish

skirmishers. Lots and lots of skirmishers. Plus any militia cavalry. Javelins are the key to bringing down elephants, regardless. The best combination is to pin the elephants with spearmen (so they more or less cant move and are bunched up) and then unload on them with javelins.

Welcome to the forums!

penance_of_discord's Avatar Foederatus

well, im not familliar with darthmod, i play mostly vanilla, but i have killed my share of war elephants. I find that the 'most' effective weapons against them arent archers or dogs, (tho spears and pigs work well). spear-throwing skirmishers are my primary anti-elephant weapons, espescially the fast militia cavalry-type guys. Usually in rtw, each race gets at least one type or spear-thrower, or at the very least can recruit the mercs. So, good luck killing those elephants.

*edit lol! the admin up there beat me to the post. Such is life. :p
    28.7% of all statistics are made up. Really!

Death is the biggest inconvenience of them all.

and on that note, have a nice day.

vikrant's Avatar The Messiah of innocence

killing them may cost many lives
    so i use flaming arrow i concentrate all my fire power on a single elephant unit which is close to enemy formation
    the trick works most of the time and the elephants get routed killing their own men
    hehe
    Under the Patronage of CHANDRASHEKHAR AZAD {prarara}
    patron of selenius4tsd ; tornnight
    use report button to help us keep twc clean

caratacus's Avatar Primicerius

The technique is as Publius says, to keep them held with heavily armoured spearmen whilst they can be dispatched with javelins. They move so fast and their charge is so efffective anything else just seems hopeless for me.