Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Bran's Empire Campaign AI

Default Re: Bran's Empire Campaign AI

Hmm, I'm not sure what I am expecting with this "report" but I will throw it in here and see where it goes. I have played some where's in the vicinity of 12 to 15 turns into a new GB campaign, and already France, Poland, and Portugal are toast. And I am not in any way responsible for this except maybe with France's Navy.

The Ottomans are making havoc,,,,, they have taken huge chunks out of Persia, and helped to cement Poland's doom. Austria was the other culprit in this endevour, and usually they are the ones fighting the Turks. The great Russian Bear isn't doing sweet #%$ all and certainly isn't helping Poland now.

France started by taking out Savoy but they were in a fight with Spain, which is unusual at the time isn't it, The Auld Alliance didn't fall apart until Nappy arrived did it ? Anyway I guess the Dutch did them in while they were strutting around some wheres because they certainly had the armies at one time that should have stop the Dutch.

As for Portugal, Maratha always attacks them early in India, dragging me (Britain) into an untimely War, and then Spain finishes them off shortly after I try to go help out my Erstwhile neighbor, If I don't go, then Spain never moves, and Portugal loses their Colony and its hard to help them regain their colony let alone India after Maratha goes Verile. So Maratha is and probably always was one of the biggest threats in ETW if not the biggest !

So I get involved in India, like turn 2, because of Alliance with Portugal. Turn 2 also saw me get dragged into Austria's War with half the effin continent especially the Turks, and Poland. The Huron's declare War because of Hudson's Bay , and then to make matters worse, the Iroquois get pissy with the Thirteen Colonies and declare War ruining my chance at keeping one of the few Alliances Britain ever had, the Iroquois from taking place to help against Huron and French pact in North America.

So I make all these trade deals on turn 1 and by turn 2, I have lost Maratha, the Ottomans, the Iroquois, Usually either Spain or France depending on the above scenario, as France attacked Savoy who I happened to make a trade agreement proposal to, and they in turn asks for an alliance as well, so why not, well now I know "why not" So I lose Savoy as trade and Ally because ... well... there not there anymore, and France was a Trade partner too, lost them. Spain and the Dutch declared War, so no trade now with Spain, and makes helping Portugal just that much harder. So yea, things just went "south" from thereon.

Now by turn 12, France is gone, and Poland is gone, and while I certainly intervened in India on Portugal's behalf, they are gone! But I did really hurt Maratha, which I have to do sooner or later anyway, But then loe and behold their buddies (can't remember their name) the ones surrounded by starting Maratha and Portugal's colony, they attack me from sort of behind, with approximately 4 full stack armies. I am like where the hell did these guys come from??

So here I am telling you guys! On the plus side it is certainly not boring, but playing the 18th Century Empire Total War without France , much to a lesser degree Poland and Portugal, and to get hurt real bad in India, while my Trade is in tatters, all by turn 12, just seems well, not very fun right now. There must be something we can do to keep the big warring nations in game. Now I'm not blaming any "mod" or modders either, I just depend on this mod for most of the AI and what little Diplomacy we have gained, and hope maybe to spark some ideas or thoughts as too improve the game. Any thoughts ??
    Last edited by Major General Isaac Brock; September 21, 2015 at 11:47 PM.

Push on, brave York volunteers

Hey Bran, can you give me an idea what unit mods are compatible with yours?

Bran Mac Born's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Rick the regular version is compatible NOT the ++ versions.

Patrician

UPDATE: New Campaign Variables ( France will stay in the fight longer) Better regional development and tech research, new diplomatic settings so allies stay allies, war toned down a bit, smaller nations last longer, morale penalties for flank and rear attacks. So watch your flanks. All versions updated. Enjoy.

Seems like a nice mod constantly updated, I'd love to try but i guess it's not Mac compatible?

Quote Originally Posted by Bran Mac Born View Post
    Rick the regular version is compatible NOT the ++ versions.
    I've been playing around with this, testing this and that and I found that "vanilla enhanced" seems to work very nicely.

I've done some tests using custom battles with this mod. Perhaps it could be of use to Bran so I'll post it here:

Every time I've used default Early Era British armies on both sides, Expert AI, and played the same battle twice (with vanilla and Bran AI). I've tried to behave as passively as possible so as not to interfere with AI too much.

Test 1, Grassy Flatlands, "++" version vs vanilla:
    - Bran AI: sent their cavalry against my guns, got massacred. Then approached with infantry line in good order while bombarding me with artillery. Some musket firing in lines, with AI losing mostly due to close range grapeshot fire. Casualties: 1011 mine to 1738 AI
    - Vanilla AI: sent their cav forward but actually reached my guns (lower musket and grapeshot ranges), still got massacred. Approached in ragged line which quickly collapsed into melee charge into my center.After being countercharged by my cavalry, AI broke and run. Casualties: 677 mine to 1158 AI

(worth noting that despite Bran AI keeping noticeably better order, casualty ratios ended up practically the same)

Test 2: As above, but I deleted artillery from both armies seeing as it was main cause of Bran AI's defeat last time.
    - Bran AI: Approached in good order almost to musket range, but tried to reposition to the side in last moment, ending up in ragged formation while entering musket duel. After short exchange of fire, AI infantry rushed into melee accompanied by cavalry. My troops broke and run, losses: 1399 mine to 1378 AI
    - Vanilla AI: Approached in crescent-shaped formation which then became more ragged and torn. Individual units exchanging fire with my line, then melee charge which AI wins. Losses: 789 mine to 408 AI

Again - while Bran AI maneuvered with better cohesion and overall seemed to behave more reasonably, the casualty ratio was better for vanilla AI for some reason.

Patrician

UPDATE: Changed Battle AI settings, Better firefights and line cohesion, new formation bin file, new projectile files (cannons will take out more men) new diplomatic attitudes- Lowered penalties for expansion so AI will consider peace after endless war. All versions updated. Test and report.

I've done couple more test battles with latest version of the mod. Each time with equal forces, flatland terrain, expert AI level. Each time I deployed static defensive formation and played let AI come to me. Also, each time I've repeated the battle with vanilla AI to compare results.

With this setup, vanilla AI did better in my tests, and not because it behaved in a more intelligent way (it did not, in fact I was far more impressed with Bran's AI movements - once it even managed to pull back from a failed assault and form a solid defensive line, something I didn't ever see in Total War games before). It seems that vanilla AI inflicted more losses on me because of lower range and lethality of artillery and muskets with vanilla settings - it allows AI to go to close in with mostly intact army and quickly break morale of my troops in melee due to VH bonuses, while with Bran's AI mod active, AI is massacred with artillery (longer range grapeshot) and muskets before closing in.

Patrician

Thanks for the report. You need to test it during a campaign battle (not custom battle) ++version (recommend Volley_Fire) and see what it does. Play Hard Campaign and Expert Battle. Full stack battle. Will be tough
    Last edited by Bran Mac Born; October 17, 2015 at 04:45 PM.

Bran you seem to know what you are doing around the Modding Scene ! I want to ask your opinion or maybe even a favor.

What are the chances of getting the campaign map from Imperial Destroyer or recreating a similar map for users ?
    I know they added towns and other stuff to the "wilderness" areas, using a trick talked about in HusserTW's forum. And it sounds like something that people would like to take advantage of especially in NA with Indians or maybe France and Spain. What do you think

Push on, brave York volunteers

Patrician

General Brock- What YOU can do is replace some key files in that mod for some in this mod. This mod is for the vanilla game. No plans for making it bigger with any maps or unit add ons. It is a Universal mod that can be used with other small tweak mods. I might add some graphic stuff for a special version-but really it is made for those who want a more challenging campaign-blood and thunder.
    Last edited by Bran Mac Born; November 16, 2015 at 10:49 PM.

Link's broken for Bran_Empire_AI_TWS.rar

Patrician

FIXED re uploaded. Try again

Thanks it works now.

I'm giving this a try. So far, two things I've noticed about buildings. Naval Board got building bonuses wrong-instead of bonuses similar to Admirality and other buildings in line, it provides +5 recruitment slots. This can result in overflow in recruitment slots, making recruitment in that city impossible. Second, Triumphal Arc (French unique barracks building in Paris) doesn't have the bonuses or unit exp boost like previous barracks buildings, probably oversight. Haven't checked if other unique buildings are affected yet.

Also, any chance for volley fire+no naval changes ++ version?

Patrician

Thanks Sar1n will fix that. Can make volley fire no naval changes version for you. busy now will upload on friday.

Does everyone else notice that the AI is unable to build timber buildings(wood resource)? I saw it in NTW, and now in ETW too. I think this problem can not be fixed in the AI related, it seems more the AI is not able/restricted to build these buildings. Any ideas?
    "You can ask me for anything you like, except time."
    Napoleon Bonaparte
    "If you want a thing done well, do it yourself."
    Napoleon Bonaparte
    "You don't reason with intellectuals. You shoot them."
    Napoleon Bonaparte

Patrician

UPDATE: Fix for for Naval Board recruitment, All Prestige buildings have experience points for troops, better region group defence ( ai will keep armies together to reinforce) All versions updated. Save game compatible

Bran can you make a TWS version with normal accuracy, please? Because of irfantry's low accuracy, I use cavalry more than I should and it's quite OP compared to irfantry now. I'd appreciate a version with normal or slightly higher than normal accuracy (like darth's) TWS (not ++) version.