Page 7 of 78 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516173257 ... LastLast

Thread: Modding Questions and Help Thread

Default Re: Modding Questions and Help Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Gimli2 View Post
    This may be a stupid question but what language is the code written? Looking at it, it looks like HTML mixed with python.
    That's a very good question. I never thought of that actually. It must be related to C++/Visual Basic because it's the only language I know a little about and I can understand the code. I'm sure that someone with more insight on this will reply to you.

Reminds me a bit of Lisp.

anyone? Ngugi, Knight of meh, Mank, Spice Master?

knight of meh's Avatar Primicerius

i would have answered if i knew i recognise the code sure but i can't put a name to it .. it's kind of annoying me now ...

edit :found this http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...l-II-Total-War

long story short C++ or some derivative there of seems plausible
    Last edited by knight of meh; May 21, 2013 at 01:58 PM.

I'll give it a day and then I'll ask Gigantus - that guy knows everything

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

No clue. Code languages are like alchemy to me.

Most of the time I have no idea what I'm doing, but when I do, I create gold.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Quote Originally Posted by knight of meh View Post
    i would have answered if i knew i recognise the code sure but i can't put a name to it .. it's kind of annoying me now ...

edit :found this http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...l-II-Total-War

long story short C++ or some derivative there of seems plausible
    Nice find. That explains a lot actually. I passed my C++ exam a decade ago, but never got a chance to code professionally. Probably because I never coded anything that would compile

Quote Originally Posted by Loki_999 View Post
    Reminds me a bit of Lisp.
    What the heck is Lisp?

Mank's Avatar Dormouse of Hader

Here's a (link) to the wiki page for LISP if you're interested...

Quote Originally Posted by King Philip II View Post
    What the heck is Lisp?
    Only the second oldest high level language still in use today (Fortran has the honour of being oldest).

But i think xkcd can explain it better http://xkcd.com/224/

DrBeast's Avatar Biarchus

It's all Chinese to me. Yeah yeah, the saying goes "it's all Greek to me" but hey, I'm fluent in Greek

Mank's Avatar Dormouse of Hader

I've been tempted to try and crack the engine just so I could mod M2TW to utilize dual-core tech. That would break this game wide-open to high end modding.

...and also probably take years off my life. Rome 3 would most likely be out by then....along with Die Hard 7 "Still Dying" and Avengers 3 "Return of the Ngugi". Probably a good 4 years too late to make that kind of effort worthwhile.
    Last edited by Mank; May 21, 2013 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki_999 View Post
    Only the second oldest high level language still in use today (Fortran has the honour of being oldest).
    Interesting. I have heard about Fortran, but never of Lisp. I must have been asleep or having a bad hangover when it was discussed

Quote Originally Posted by DrBeast View Post
    It's all Chinese to me. Yeah yeah, the saying goes "it's all Greek to me" but hey, I'm fluent in Greek
    hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Mank View Post
    I've been tempted to try and crack the engine just so I could mod M2TW to utilize dual-core tech. That would break this game wide-open to high end modding.
    actually if i understand the file structure properly you would only have to crack the kingdoms.exe which has been done many times and not taken that long.... it's just the fact that it is highly illegal and that you would have the SEGA lawyers after you some of the most feared lawyers in history ... the short end would be your head , a spear and a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Mank View Post
    Avengers 3 "Return of the Ngugi".
    its true Darth Ferrit is strong but it is the massive businesses(that is actually a group of ferrets science people it's weirder than truth) of SturmFerrs (pronounced Stormfears) and the all powerful DeathWarren tt will be the end of us

TWC is save for now with it's dedicated legions of ponies and a little known second faction of tigers ready to spring to it's defence..

but what about the world...? the end is nigh..

As I understand, it can depend on how you do it and where you are located (for example, in the US you have to deal with the DMCA).

For example, the Star Trek:Armada 2 Fleet Ops mod team don't hack the game EXE directly, they use an EXE overlay that hooks into the main EXE, so they don't modify the original EXE, and being based in Europe they are not subject to idiotic US laws about these sorts of things.

its not so much US or european law here.. it's the EULA you take on when you run the game this states that , redistribution , altering and circumvention of the original code is illegal i.e breaking the hard code .. modding is only allowed to be distributed because SEGA/CA says so. If they say no .exe tampering then there can be no .exe tampering

and it's contract law which is pretty standard on an international level

EULAs have been challenged in court and won against, because its an agreement you are forced to make after purchase which is against contract law. If EULAs are expected to be enforced then they have to make them agreeable to at the time of sale.

it's not illegal though .. it can be question though

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contracts_of_adhesion

this is what a EULA is ^ and it can be challenged and won against in this context normally only if the contract contains something deemed extremely unfair ( unconscionability.) requesting that you respect their copyright on there game code is not unreasonable ^_^

Not against EULAs reminding people of their already pre-defined legal obligations. Sometimes EULAs have been written which add all sorts of things in though beyond what is specified by law.

And what you link to, as far as i can tell, its still talking about contracts signed at time of sale, not post sale, which is a big difference.

Let me put it another way, for a contract to be valid (under UK law at least), several things must hold, the most important is there must be a transfer of goods/services/money between the two parties.

For example, if i offer to mow your lawn for £10, then that could be written as a contract. If I offer to mow your lawn for free though, any contract based on that would be invalid, and if i failed to mow your lawn, you would have no grounds upon which to sue me for failure to mow the lawn, because you give me nothing in return.

With regards to purchasing games, there is a contract made at time of sale. Money for the box containing the game. If at this point the EULA was presented and you had to sign, then there would be a valid contract. However, the EULA is only presented later, once you get home and install, and there is no two party contract. It basically is just a demand saying "You can do this, you can't do this, etc". But your agreement (by clicking the checkbox) should not be taken as a contract, because there is no transfer of goods/services/money at this point from your side and arguably from their side, unless you count the ability to continue installing, which could then be argued that the installer is not fit for purpose - yes, you know there is high possibility of their being a EULA blocking you, but its not a requirement of the game itself, its an artificial block inserted by the publisher, itself something that could be challenged. At the very least, there should be a big notice on the outside of the box that says something like "Warning: When installing this game you must agree to the T&Cs outlined in the EULA provided during install otherwise you will not be able to complete the install".

Basically, anything in the EULA, which is not already covered by law at the point and time of sale, should not be binding. Of course, the publishers may challenge this, and the law may have its own interpretation, but I don't see how it can be binding.
    Last edited by Loki_999; May 22, 2013 at 07:23 AM.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

OK, let's end this by a simple conclusion, as this is a discussion that is off topic for this thread;

To mod the hardcoded content is illegal* and TWC won't accept encouragments to do it, instructions to do it nor mods based on it.
    Such things will be removed and the member posting it may face penalties.

*until a court decision is won on customers/modders part that conclude it is not a valid legal restriction from doing it.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

i yield darth ferrit (i keep forgetting threads have topics ... i just reply to posts >.<7 )

and i still maintain that i was trying to keep Loki out of prison

but i shall continue this to Loki's VM box away !

feel free to ask us about mod problems again general public knight is sowwy
    Last edited by knight of meh; May 22, 2013 at 07:53 AM.