Page 20 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223242526272829304570 ... LastLast

Thread: Modding Questions and Help Thread

AdmiralThrawn's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Modding Questions and Help Thread

Hey, so I want to give Mordor access to Southron Lancers. However, while the riders are fine, the horses have no skins and instead look silvery. How do I give england (mordor) access to the right horses?

I'm not sure that I completely understand. If the Effect Level 3 trait is the trait that gives him the Boromir strat model on the strat map, and thats a part of the Boromir trait, isn't the Boromir 1 trait that my Eriador Boromir has already fufill this requirement and should give him the strat model? Sorry about this, i'm new to modding/editing game files. I think what im trying to say if Effect Level 3 from the trait Boromir = strat_model boromir, how come the new Boromir general in Eriador doesn't gain the strat model?

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Probably because the Boromir model is not number 3 in the turks faction. See this: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...2#post13135632

I have plans to release an armor upgrade/aesthetic overhaul submod for MOS. Basically all I've done is take models/textures from various submods and apply them to units in MOS as either armor upgrades or outright replacements. I'm already in the process of asking the various creators of said textures/models for their permission to use their work, but I'm wondering if it's necessary to ask the creators of MOS for permission to release a submod of their submod. I'm not really changing anything fundamentally since I lack the skills to do so, all I'm doing is changing what textures/models are used for a given unit in the model.db.

Thanks in advance for the help/advice!

Mank's Avatar Dormouse of Hader

@ Jmonstra: You're free to make additional sub-mods that are built using MOS as your base (just be sure that you get permission to use ALL the units that you're modifying!)

**Note, this does NOT include releasing a full "stand-alone" mod that includes MOS, it must be supplementary

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralThrawn View Post
    Hey, so I want to give Mordor access to Southron Lancers. However, while the riders are fine, the horses have no skins and instead look silvery. How do I give england (mordor) access to the right horses?
    You'll need to add england's ownership to the "eastern_horse" mount type in the battlemodels.modeldb file. Here are the steps:

1) Open up your battlemodels.modeldb file, you can find it in your \SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\Third_Age_3\data\unit_models folder.

2) Search (ctrl+f) for "eastern_horse".

3) Add the correct 'england' entry to the eastern_horse unit model. I've added the correct entry that you should add in red to the example below:
    Code:
    19 mount_eastern_horse 
    1.12 1 
    61 unit_models/Mounts/nazgul_Horse/mount_eastern_horse_lod0.mesh 15000 
    7 england
    66 unit_models/Mounts/Nazgul_Horse/textures/new_horse_eastern.texture 
    65 unit_models/Mounts/Nazgul_Horse/textures/new_horse_normal.texture 
    29 unit_sprites/harad_sprite.spr
    5 spain 
    6 venice 
    5 slave 
    4 merc 
    29 unit_sprites/harad_sprite.spr 0 1 
    5 Horse 
    14 fs_horse_marka 0 
    0 0 -1 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Last edited by Mank; August 18, 2013 at 12:07 AM.

I've been trying to get the Lórien golden trees from Firefreak's map unto the original vanilla map, but I can't get it to work. What files do I have to modify? I've tried with descr_climates and descr_aerial_map_ground_types, and copying the textures and models from FF's terrain folder, and editing the map_climates. What am I missing?

Not really sure but did you delete map.rwm after you made your changes?

Yes, I did.

Mank's Avatar Dormouse of Hader

I don't believe that FireFreak checks this thread often, but he really is the guy to ask about this. Your best bet would probably be to send a PM his way as I'm sure he'd be able to tell you in detail what you would need to do.

Luckily, I was able to solve it by myself before sending a PM to Firefreak. Guess what the "problem" was: in his map, the trees are only golden in winter! So everytime I started the campaign after the modifications I'd made, they didn't show up because it was summer.

I am doing a TATW MOS campaign as Rhun. My Prince got the first level of the "BadTrader" trait, and I thought "Its no big deal, I will just build a grain exchange, and it will be better. If not immediately I will build some roads and a caravan stop." And so I built the grain exchange, but the trait got even worse, so I reloaded and moved my Prince out of the settlement. Then when I build a Caravan Stop, sure enough, he gets the trait again! I hate to use the console but I checked the export_descr_character_traits file and it says the only possible way to get the trait is to build buildings without a grain exchange with 20% probability, which I did only once, and for it to pop up automatically once I hit the second level, with 1% probability. Or with a coming of age.

Is the file bugged? I have completely no idea how to fix it, and don't know if fixing it would be possible at all, frankly.
    Last edited by Steward Denethor II; August 24, 2013 at 03:13 AM.

Default Helo help needed, hot to make regional units available everyhwere?

Hello! Well as the tittle says , how can i make every unit able to be built in any of my cities. I am playing tatw with Taro_Ms mod and i wnat to start a campaign where i can build only dol amroth units but they are restricted to dol amroth only. So my question is , how tomake them buildable in my all provinces? thank you for your time!

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Default Re: Helo help needed, hot to make regional units available everyhwere?

Quote Originally Posted by Sokerida View Post
    Hello! Well as the tittle says , how can i make every unit able to be built in any of my cities. I am playing tatw with Taro_Ms mod and i wnat to start a campaign where i can build only dol amroth units but they are restricted to dol amroth only. So my question is , how tomake them buildable in my all provinces? thank you for your time!
    Can someone point out where to remove the hidden resource requirment in the EDB?
    Don't have the files avilable right now

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Default Re: Helo help needed, hot to make regional units available everyhwere?

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Can someone point out where to remove the hidden resource requirment in the EDB?
    Don't have the files avilable right now
    Thanks mate for the reply !

But still searching for an answer so help pls if u can !

Sure!

e.g. export_descr_buildings.txt in vanilla TATW has this for Swan Knights...

Code:
    recruit_pool "Swan Knights"  1   0.1   2  0  requires factions { sicily, }  and hidden_resource amroth
    Remove the bold text to remove the "at Dol Amroth only" restriction. For every occurrence of that unit in the file (3 in vanilla).

Quote Originally Posted by Withwnar View Post
    Sure!

e.g. export_descr_buildings.txt in vanilla TATW has this for Swan Knights...

Code:
    recruit_pool "Swan Knights"  1   0.1   2  0  requires factions { sicily, }  and hidden_resource amroth
    Remove the bold text to remove the "at Dol Amroth only" restriction. For every occurrence of that unit in the file (3 in vanilla).
    Thank you very much friend !

Time to mobilize my Dol Amroth army !

I want to add a general to the High Elven faction, Gildor Inglorion. He doesn't have to have a custom portrait. What are the things I have to do? I want to give him a couple of traits I think fit with his character.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Red Viper View Post
    I want to add a general to the High Elven faction, Gildor Inglorion. He doesn't have to have a custom portrait. What are the things I have to do? I want to give him a couple of traits I think fit with his character.
    A few steps.

1a) Open Third_Age_3/data and descr_names.txt

Add Gildor to egypt's name list for characters (= men; there is a list for egypt women later down):
    Code:
    faction: egypt

characters
            Adanion
            (...)
            Galasrinion
            Gildor
            Glandur
            (...)
    Save
    (alphabetical order is not needed but it's of convenience)

1b) Open data/text

Add Gildor to names.txt and be careful with the {}
    Code:
    (...)
    {Galasrinion}Galasrinion
    {Gildor}Gildor
    {Galmod}Galmod
    (...)
    Save

Now it should be pointed out that the epithet Inglorion can be given in names.txt as "{Gildor}Gildor Inglorion", but then any general or agent who get the name Gildor will be Gildor Inglorion.
    Also a surname can be created but then you will see that all suddenly becomes Inglorion, IIRC; know for sure it don't work out from own attempts at least.
    Better is to use a hidden trait or something like that that add the title Inglorion to him, though not worked with such myself so cant instruct you on how to do it.

2) Open descr_strat.txt found in data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign
    Look for the section with HE and its generals and there add him:

Code:
    (...)
    character    Elrond, named character, male, leader, age 50, x 185, y 249, portrait Elrond, hero_ability ELROND    ;, label family_he1traits Elrond 1 , hero_ability9 1 , Factionleader 1 , GoodCommander 2 , NaturalMilitarySkill 1 , PublicFaith 2 , MathematicsSkill 1 , ReligionStarter 1 , GoodAttacker 1 , Just 2 , KindRuler 2 , BattleChivalry 2
    ancillaries vilya, leader_council, librarian, lord_imladris, haldhafang
    army
    unit        Elf Spear_BG                exp 3 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit        Elf Archer2                exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit        Homeguard Warriors            exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0

character    Gildor, named character, male, age 30, x 75, y 238 
    traits 
    ancillaries 
    army
    unit        Elf Nobel Mount            exp 2 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit        High Sword                exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0

character    Cirdan, named character, male, age 54, x 60, y 252, portrait Cirdan ;mithlond
    traits Cirdan 1 , LoyaltyStarter 1 , GoodCommander 1 , ReligionStarter 1 , Loyal 1 , KindRuler 1 , MathematicsSkill 2 , GoodBuilder 1 , ChivalryLegacy 2
    ancillaries lord_mithlond, palantir_authorisation
    army
    unit        Elf Nobel Mount                exp 2 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit        Homeguard Warriors            exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit        High Sword                exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0

(...)
    I note that the x and y cordinates make him start east of Elostirion, you can change this. To know what a cordinate is, ingame on the map open the console and write show_cursorstat and it will give you the cordinates of the mouse.
    Traits and ancillaries I leave to you to fill in.
    His starting army can also be tweaked at will.
    Save.

3) Open data/world/maps/base and there delete map.rwm
    Now you can start the game.
    If you want to put him into the family tree as well, that's a little more work, so just come back on it.
    Last edited by Ngugi; August 26, 2013 at 06:10 AM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Better is to use a hidden trait or something like that that add the title Inglorion to him, though not worked with such myself so cant instruct you on how to do it.
    In data\export_descr_character_traits.txt add these traits to the top section:

Code:
    ;------------------------------------------
    Trait Gildor
        Characters family
        Hidden

Level Gildor
            Description Gildor_desc
            EffectsDescription Gildor_effects_desc
            Threshold  1

;no effects
            ;no triggers

Trait InglorionEpithet
        Characters family
        Hidden

Level InglorionEpithet
            Description InglorionEpithet_desc
            EffectsDescription InglorionEpithet_effects_desc
            Epithet InglorionEpithet_epithet_desc
            Threshold  1

;no effects
    And this trigger to the bottom section:
    Code:
    Trigger InglorionEpithet_trigger1
        WhenToTest CharacterTurnStart

Condition Trait Gildor == 1

Affects InglorionEpithet  -1  Chance  100
        Affects InglorionEpithet  1  Chance  100
    In data\text\export_VnVs.txt add:

Code:
    {Gildor}(hidden)
    {Gildor_desc}(hidden)
    {Gildor_effects_desc}(hidden)

{InglorionEpithet}(hidden)
    {InglorionEpithet_desc}(hidden)
    {InglorionEpithet_epithet_desc}  Inglorion
    {InglorionEpithet_effects_desc}(hidden)
    For his "traits" line in descr_strat.txt (Ngugi's post) use:

Code:
    traits Gildor 1
    The InglorionEpithet trigger removes and re-gives him the "Inglorion" epithet every turn. Without this trigger his 'surname' would eventually be replaced by another epithet from another trait. e.g "the Cruel".

Thanks for the response! I'm going to work with this.