Page 16 of 78 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122232425264166 ... LastLast

Thread: Modding Questions and Help Thread

Default Re: Modding Questions and Help Thread

Just wondering lads why aren't forts constructable in this mod? Given the fact the mod is based on the Kingdoms expansion pack of which an important new feature was the ability to construct permanent forts to guard choke points why hasn't this filtered down into this mod?

Mank's Avatar Dormouse of Hader

Good question. Here are a couple of reasons I can think of that explain why they were removed:

1) Lore. TATW was made to fit as closely as possible within Tolkien's mythology, and the choice to remove constructable forts was made in-part to stop people from building a fort in places that really would have "broken" the game (such as right in front of black gate).

2) Scritpting. The inevitable blockades that forts provide would almost certainly ruin many of the highly scripted events that TATW features. The map isn't as naturally "open" as the original M2TW one, so choke points would really hinder quite a lot of the movement between areas.

Ya I see the problems with forts now. Still though they would be so useful with something factions like the highelves

Can i use your battle-models for mod that i´m developing, please? You´ll be in the credits, of course.

Honestly I think your best bet would be to send a PM to the specific creators of the work you're hoping to incorporate. Here is a LINK to the post which goes into who made what, but essentially everything but the Elf models are pretty much off limits for the moment.

KK and Alletun haven't been around for awhile now, so asking their permission will probably not elicit a response. This is unfortunatley a rather awkward situation for all modders of TATW at the moment, but as we've seen no sign of it changing I can only recommend that you try sending a PM and then perhaps searching for alternate mods to pull from.

Ok,thank you very much, i´ll try it.

Hi, I've tried to create a new faction in TATW, which was to be Dol Amroth.
    I followed this tutorial http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...6-Step-by-Step
    Unfortunately it wasn't made for TATW and files seems to be a little bit different and so it won't work. Anyone could point me in the right direction for some tutorials on this matter for TATW precisely?

Also I'd like some help installing submods on MOS. I'd like to know if theres a tutorial for this too.

Thanks!

oh, and I've also tried to use geomod but it seems to crash because of a problem with Mordor's family tree

Hi vegetation1!

Ok well the best tutorial for adding a faction in my opinion is the one by Gigantus that you can find (HERE). You'll need to download the entire package, then I suggest looking at the .pdf that comes with it. Hopefully if you double check what you've added against this guide you'll be able to spot what was missing.

As to geomod, yes that is a known issue but I think I can point you to the solution. There is a thread "Geomod Tool and Third Age Total War" in which Gigantus provides a modified version of Geomod for TATW. It's old as methusela but hopefully it will still work for you. If the TATW geomod pack isn't working for you I imagine you would shoot a quick PM to Gigantus and he'd be able to tell you how to modify it appropriatley.

Hope this helps, and that you're able to get your new faction up and running soon!

~Mank

Ry4n18's Avatar Laetus

Default How would I swap faction leaders and generals?

I'm looking for a way to make the witch king the faction leader of orcs of gundabad and give mordor the OOG leader or a generic general as a replacement. I've messed around with descr_names, decr_character, descr_strat, and descr_model_strat. I couldn't quite get it to work. Anybody with modding experience willing to give me a quick tutorial?

There are tutorials that cover all the bases, but I'd have to link 5 or 6 and there would be WAY more info in them than you really need for this. You'll be needing to modify several other files including the ones you mentioned, so I'll write up a specific walkthrough that should see you through it. I'm not at my PC right now, but check back again at the end of the day and I should have it written up for ya.

Also, if you see this would you mind telling me which version of TATW you're using? If not I'll just assume you're using vanilla TATW 3.2.

Ry4n18's Avatar Laetus

I'm using TATW 3.2 with MOS 1.5. The MOS may change a few things but the basics are still there. Thankyou so much, there was no information anywhere I looked for editing the generals. I figured out everything else I needed for the most part. The whole point is the witch king though for a personal angmar mod.

I recently downloaded the MOS mod and when I go into a battle the game crashes. Its not the day light savings thing cause I tried that. If anyone can help it would be appreciated.

Ry4n18's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino2003 View Post
    I recently downloaded the MOS mod and when I go into a battle the game crashes. Its not the day light savings thing cause I tried that. If anyone can help it would be appreciated.
    Use the cleaner.bat in the mod's directory. If that doesn't work, it could be a problem with Windows User Account Control. For that, you'd have to disable it then reinstall.

Ok, let the fun begin! I'll be breaking this down into key parts to make things a bit more streamlined for you.

Before you Begin:

**I highly recommend doing all text editing with Notepad ++ **

**I also highly recommend making a backup of the files you're about to edit**

Step 1: Adding the Witch-King stratmap model to Gundabad

1) Open descr_model_strat.txt. You can find it in the main \mods\Third_Age_3\data folder. Search (ctrl+f) for "witchking". You will need to add portugal to the list of factions that this model is assigned to. I have added the correct line in red in the example below:

Code:
    type                witchking
    skeleton            strat_named_with_army
    scale                0.7
    indiv_range            40
    texture                england, models_strat/textures/witchking.tga
    texture                portugal, models_strat/textures/witchking.tga
    texture                slave, models_strat/textures/witchking.tga
    model_flexi_m            models_strat/witchking.cas, max
    shadow_model_flexi        models_strat/shadow_sword.CAS, max
    2) Open descr_character.txt. You can find it in the main \mods\Third_Age_3\data folder. Search for "witchking". As you can see this is currently the 4th entry in Englands list, so we'll be making a copy and adding it to Portugal. Scroll down just a little ways until you find Portugal's entry. You will need to add the witchking entry after the leader's strat model. I have added the correct line in red to the example below:

Code:
    faction            portugal
    dictionary        2
    strat_model        mordor_general
    strat_model        mordor_general            ; heir
    strat_model        mordor_general            ; leader
    strat_model        witchking        ; 3
    battle_model    mordor_general
    battle_equip    gladius, chainmail shirt helmet and rectangular shield
    **Special Note: As you can see I changed the number to 3 next to the entry. This helps keep track of what level to use when we modify the corresponding trait.

Step 2: Changing the Witch-King's Trait

1) Open export_descr_character_traits.txt. You can find it in the main \mods\Third_Age_3\data folder. Search for Witchking. All we need to do here is modify the "level" entry. The level modifier corresponds to the descr_character.txt list, and because the witchking entry is in the 3rd slot for Portugal we need to change it accordingly. I have added the correct line in red to the example below:

Code:
    Trait Witchking
        Characters family

Level Witchking
            Description Witchking_desc
            EffectsDescription Witchking_effects_desc
            Threshold  1 

Effect Command 3 
            Effect Loyalty 6 
            Effect Authority 3 
            Effect TroopMorale 2 
            Effect HitPoints 10 
            Effect Level 3

Step 3: Adding the Witch-King's Bodyguard

1) Open export_descr_unit.txt. You can find it in the main \mods\Third_Age_3\data folder. Search for "Black Numenorians1". At the bottom of this entry we need to add Portugal to the ownership levels. I have added the correct lines in red to the example below:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Code:
    type             Black Numenorians1
    dictionary       Black_Numenorians1      ; Witch King Bodyguards
    category         cavalry
    class            heavy
    voice_type       General
    banner faction   main_cavalry
    banner holy      crusade
    soldier          black_numenorians, 10, 0, 1
    mount            nazgul horse
    mount_effect     elephant -4, camel -4
    attributes       sea_faring, hide_forest, very_hardy, can_withdraw, frighten_foot, frighten_mounted, can_formed_charge, free_upkeep_unit, no_custom
    move_speed_mod   0.95
    formation        2, 4.4, 3, 6, 2, square
    stat_health      1, 3
    stat_pri         14, 5, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, slashing, sword, 0, 1
    stat_pri_attr    no
    stat_sec         0, 0, no, 0, 0, no, melee_simple, blunt, none, 25, 1
    stat_sec_attr    no
    stat_pri_armour  17, 7, 0, metal ; Numenorian advanced plate + 1 from nazgul horse
    stat_sec_armour  0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat        2
    stat_ground      -1, -1, -4, -2
    stat_mental      20, disciplined, highly_trained, lock_morale
    stat_charge_dist 20
    stat_fire_delay  0
    stat_food        60, 300
    stat_cost        1, 750, 250, 75, 75, 750, 4, 100
    armour_ug_levels 3, 4
    armour_ug_models black_numenorians, black_numenorians_upg
    ownership        england, portugal
    era 0            england, portugal
    era 1            england, portugal
    era 2            england, portugal
    recruit_priority_offset    75

2) Open your battle.models.modelsdb file. You can find it in your \mods\Third_Age_3\data\unit_models folder. Search for "black_numenorians". Here we also need to include portugal in the unit listing. I have added the correct lines in red for the example below:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Code:
    17 black_numenorians 
    1 1 
    48 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/mmbn_lod0.mesh 6400 
    7 england 
    72 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/textures/en_bmail_bmail_mordor.texture 
    79 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/textures/en_bmail_bmail_mordor_normal.texture 
    49 unit_sprites/england_black_numenorians_sprite.spr
    8 portugal
    79 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/textures/en_bmail_bmail_mordor_normal.texture 
    7 england 
    59 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final nazgul_mordor_diff.texture 
    59 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final nazgul_mordor_norm.texture 0 
    8 portugal
    5 Horse 
    12 MTW2_HR_Mace 0  
    17 MTW2_Mace_Primary 
    14 fs_test_shield 0 
    16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002 
    21 black_numenorians_upg 
    1 1 
    48 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/mmbn_lod0.mesh 6400 
    7 england 
    8 portugal
    7 england 
    8 portugal
    5 Horse 
    12 MTW2_HR_Mace 0  
    17 MTW2_Mace_Primary 
    14 fs_test_shield 0 
    16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

3) Open up your \mods\Third_Age_3\data\ui\unit_info folder. Open the england folder and copy the "Black_Numenorians1_info". Go back to the unit_info folder and past the copied file in the portugal folder.

4) Open up your \mods\Third_Age_3\data\ui\units folder. Open the england folder and copy the "#Black_Numenorians1". Go back to the units folder and past the copied file in the portugal folder.

Step 4: Adding the Witch-King to Gundbad in the Campaign

1) Open your descr_strat.txt file. You can find it in your \mods\Third_Age_3\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign folder. Search for "Nazgula". You will need to be careful about how you copy this section over to Gundbad. In the example below I have provided what text you will need to transfer, as well as highlighted in red conflicts that you will need to change depending on where and how you want to impliment the WK into your game.

Code:
    character    Nazgula, named character, male, leader, age 41, x 273, y 125, portrait nazgul1, battle_model witchking, hero_ability Terror_of_the_Witch_King, label family_mordor1
    traits Witchking 1, hero_ability12 1, FactionleaderTO 1, LoyaltyStarter 1, GoodCommander 3, BattleScarred 2, BattleDread 1, CaptorDread 1, GoodAttacker 1, NightBattleCapable 1
    ancillaries ring_nazgula, king_mordor, witchkings_flail
    army
    unit        Black Numenorians1            exp 3 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    **Special Note: After you replace the Witch-King and add another faction leader for Mordor, be sure to make the appropriate changes to the family trees both for Gundabad AND Mordor or else your will crash to desktop on gamestart.

Step 5: Adding the Witch-King's Name

1) Open your expanded.txt file. You can find it in your \mods\Third_Age_3\data\text folder. Search for "EMT_PORTUGAL_NAMED_GENERAL". After the "NAMED_GENERAL_1" entry you will need to add a new line for the WK. What place we added the WK in the descr_character.txt (the third level) correlates to how we make a new entry here as well. I have added the correct new entry in red for the example below:

Code:
    {EMT_PORTUGAL_NAMED_CHARACTER}Orcs of Gundabad General
    {EMT_PORTUGAL_NAMED_CHARACTER_1}Orc Lord of Angmar
    {EMT_PORTUGAL_NAMED_GENERAL}Orcs of Gundabad General
    {EMT_PORTUGAL_NAMED_GENERAL_1}Orc Lord of Angmar
    {EMT_PORTUGAL_NAMED_GENERAL_3}Witchking
    {EMT_PORTUGAL_PRINCESS}Orcs of Gundabad Princess
    **Special note: Be sure after editing this file that you delete the expanded.txt.strings.bin file below if it is present. If you don't you will get a crash.

That's all that I can think of off the top of my head. Hopefully this will get you up and running, but if not please feel free to post any errors if you run into them. Also during bigger changes like these the .log file in your \SEGA\Medieval II Total War\logs folder can often help point you to what is causing a crash.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Mank; July 30, 2013 at 09:02 AM.

Ry4n18's Avatar Laetus

Ok Mank, I'll try those steps. Thanks for the help. I've been wanting to make this mini mod for a long time. It's why I joined TW center a year ago and first played Total War. I'll report soon with the status on it then.

riuk881's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino2003 View Post
    make sure you delete the two geography files in the mods gaming folder
    It's not a question of where it grips it. It's a simple questions of weight ratios; a five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Ry4n18's Avatar Laetus

Alright, I'm back with an update. It worked, thankfully. Only minor problems now. There's no name for the witch king, it's simply blank when in the info panel and when hovering over the unit and card. Also, would it be possible to use a specific voice for the witchking when clicking on or moving him?

Also, I stumbled upon this in descr_strat under the generals
    relative Gorduf, Urd, Lagbug, Lughorn, Lunul, end
    I took the liberty of changing gorduf to Nazgula, was that necessary?
    Last edited by Ngugi; July 30, 2013 at 01:13 AM. Reason: DP

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Ry4n18 View Post
    Also, would it be possible to use a specific voice for the witchking when clicking on or moving him?
    Yes, check this tutorial on how to do it; Unit Selection Voice - standard uniqueness

Using a Teutonic Family Tree the rules are a bit special but it's at least not dumb as then there will not be any error reports about the WK's place in the family tree in the log-file.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

There's no name for the witch king, it's simply blank when in the info panel and when hovering over the unit and card.
    Ah yes I forgot to add the names bit. My mistake, I will update my previous post with "Step 5" (doing it there to keep all the resources in one place for future reference).

Yes, as Ngugi said it is a good idea (and often mandatory) to update the family trees. That section of the descr_strat plays by a very specific set of rules, and if you're not familiar with modifiying it there can be many crash-related errors.

I'll link you two VERY thourough guides to modding family trees:

1) Kilic Ali's "Family trees compendium of knowledge" (You could probably start at part 2, but the whole thing is worth reading)
    2) GED's "Advanced Family Trees" (Everything you need to know is probably already covered in Kilic's tutorial, but this is just in case you want to go a bit deeper)