Page 10 of 78 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819203560 ... LastLast

Thread: Modding Questions and Help Thread

riuk881's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Modding Questions and Help Thread

england=mordor
    sorry, but knowing english history as i do i just find it funny.
    It's not a question of where it grips it. It's a simple questions of weight ratios; a five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Alright I have a question. I'd like to reduce the attrition suffered by defenders during sieges as it seems rather extreme to me. It feels like this value is much higher than other mods like Stainless Steel. Just in case you don't know what I'm talking about when you siege a settlement, the enemy will suffer casualties each turn to starvation and attrition. What do I need to edit to change that value?

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Quote Originally Posted by PollytheParrot View Post
    Alright I have a question. I'd like to reduce the attrition suffered by defenders during sieges as it seems rather extreme to me. It feels like this value is much higher than other mods like Stainless Steel. Just in case you don't know what I'm talking about when you siege a settlement, the enemy will suffer casualties each turn to starvation and attrition. What do I need to edit to change that value?
    Check out the Mod Workshop threads (see OP)

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

knight of meh's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Check out the Mod Workshop threads (see OP)
    the nice constructive way of saying i have no idea .. i should hae thought of that

Maybe my question got missed ou so one more time:

In my game Halbarad has got the strat map model of aragorn can anyone please tell me how to change that? Which files do i have to alter?

had a little look does Halbarad have his own strat model because i couldn't find one ... my memory is getting worse dammit

I don't think so - if i remember correctly he was just a standard eriador general

Mank's Avatar Dormouse of Hader

Ok 2 places you could look at off the top of my head:

1) go to your \Third_Age_3\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\descr_strat

2) open with notepad or notepad ++ and search (ctrl+f) for halbarad

In my game here is the code, make sure there isn't any code in the first line that says "battle_model" (like below).

Code:
    character    Halbarad, named character, male, age 28, x 119, y 248, portrait Halbarad ;bree
    3) If the descr_strat looks normal, the second place to check is the \Third_Age_3\data\descr_character.

4) Scroll down descr_character until you find the "turks" in the first section. To give you an idea of what it should look like, here is my code for this section:

Code:
    faction            turks
    dictionary        2
    strat_model        eriador_general
    strat_model        eriador_general            ; heir
    strat_model        eriador_general            ; leader
    strat_model        gandalf
    strat_model        aragorn
    strat_model        arnor_general
    strat_model        elessar
    strat_model     arnor_general
    battle_model    eriador_general
    battle_equip    gladius, chainmail shirt helmet and rectangular shield
    If both of those look correct then my next guess would be a problem with the campaign_script, though this is the less likely of the three.

Edit: I went back and looked at the mods you were running and revised some of the example code for Director's Cut
    Last edited by Mank; May 29, 2013 at 08:41 AM.

The only difference i found was that the elessar line in thze descr_character was missing but i don't think that will fix it

Back up your current descr_char and try it out, nothing to lose!

Still looks like Aragorn

Ok not too many more ideas from my end I'm afraid. I seem to recall that I got Aragorn's model on Halbarad once after changing him to have grey company as his bodyguard, but if you haven't done any editing then that probably isn't it.

My last thought would be an error in the campaign_script, but honestly if the other files look right then I imagine it's just a harmless installation bug. If it's really getting your goat you could try posting the problem in the Mod Workshop area, no doubt someone there will have an idea or two.

Well then I will try to reinstall it altogether but if that doesn't work could you please point me to said Mod Workshop Area?

You bet! Here is a (LINK) to the Mod Workshop's Text Editing and Scripting section. If your re-install doesn't work then that's the place to inquire.

Thank you - it didn't work so I'll ask there :/

I want to give Gondor the highways that harad and rhun get. Do I have to edit anywhere beside the export_descr_buildings?
    It's not a question of where it grips it. It's a simple questions of weight ratios; a five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

i shouldn't think so just adding sicily properly to the permission bt should be enough

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Images and description texts could be a + as well

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Images and description texts could be a + as well
    how would i do that? I'm confident enough that i can find the right place to type in sicily but beyond that...

Yes, building images and text would be part of what I'd recommend as well.

For the images,

Go to : \Third_Age_3\data\ui\middle_eastern\buildings and copy these 4 entries:

- #middle_eastern_c_highways
    - #middle_eastern_c_highways_constructed
    - #middle_eastern_highways
    - #middle_eastern_highways_constructed

Paste these 4 files into your \Third_Age_3\data\ui\gondor\buildings and change the hashtag from #middle_eastern to #gondor for all four files. EX: #gondor_c_highways

Also be sure to copy your two #gondor_c_highways and #gondor_highways files into your "construction" folder at the top of the gondor buildings file.

Now you will have desert and palm trees in the image (as it looks like for Harad and Rhun), but better than nothing at all!

For the text,

Go to \Third_Age_3\data\text and open your export_buildings.txt file

Search (ctrl+f) for 'highways'. As you can see there is no gondor culture text strings for highways, so you'll need to add them. Here is an example of what the code should look like:

Code:
    {highways}    highways
    {highways_desc}    DO NOT TRANSLATE
    {highways_desc_short}    DO NOT TRANSLATE
    {highways_northern_european}    highway
    {highways_northern_european_desc}Highways allow for the swift movement of large armies to defend against enemy forces, as well as increase the trade in the region.The straight-line simplicity of these roads hides the genius that has gone into their careful construction, as they can carry almost limitless military traffic.
    {highways_northern_european_desc_short}Highways improve trade in the region as well as maximise the movement speed of units that travel along them.
    {highways_mesoamerican_desc}DO NOT TRANSLATE - NOT MEANT FOR THIS CULTURE
    {highways_mesoamerican_desc_short}DO NOT TRANSLATE - NOT MEANT FOR THIS CULTURE
    {highways_middle_eastern}    Trade Route
    {highways_middle_eastern_desc}Trade Routes are established ways and allow for the swift movement of traders aswell as large armies to defend against enemy forces. The straight-line simplicity of these roads hides the genius that has gone into their careful construction, as they can carry almost limitless commercial and military traffic.
    {highways_middle_eastern_desc_short}Highways improve trade in the region as well as maximise the movement speed of units that travel along them.
    {highways_eastern_european}    Highways
    {highways_eastern_european_desc}Highways allow for the swift movement of large armies to defend against enemy forces, as well as increase the trade in the region.The straight-line simplicity of these roads hides the genius that has gone into their careful construction, as they can carry almost limitless military traffic.
    {highways_eastern_european_desc_short}Highways improve trade in the region as well as maximise the movement speed of units that travel along them.
    {highways_greek}    Highways
    {highways_greek_desc}Highways allow for the swift movement of large armies to defend against enemy forces, as well as increase the trade in the region.The straight-line simplicity of these roads hides the genius that has gone into their careful construction, as they can carry almost limitless military traffic.
    {highways_greek_desc_short}Highways improve trade in the region as well as maximise the movement speed of units that travel along them.
    {highways_southern_european}    Highways
    {highways_southern_european_desc}Highways allow for the swift movement of large armies to defend against enemy forces, as well as increase the trade in the region.The straight-line simplicity of these roads hides the genius that has gone into their careful construction, as they can carry almost limitless military traffic.
    {highways_southern_european_desc_short}Highways improve trade in the region as well as maximise the movement speed of units that travel along them.
    {highways_gondor}    Highways
    {highways_gondor_desc}Highways allow for the swift movement of large armies to defend against enemy forces, as well as increase the trade in the region.The straight-line simplicity of these roads hides the genius that has gone into their careful construction, as they can carry almost limitless military traffic.
    {highways_gondor_desc_short}Highways improve trade in the region as well as maximise the movement speed of units that travel along them.
    Be sure to add this new text for the c_highways entry as well (so it will be {c_highways_gondor} Highways etc.)

After editing the export_buildings.txt be sure to delete the export_buildings.txt.strings.bin if it is underneath it.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Mank; June 02, 2013 at 01:14 PM.