Page 5 of 78 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314153055 ... LastLast

Thread: Modding Questions and Help Thread

Default Re: Modding Questions and Help Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Elven Warrior View Post
    no the game files are not open but i will try again. if it helps i bought my copy of medieval total war off steam
    I don't think Steam is the issue in this case. That reminds me, I need to put a support disclaimer on TFT2: "If you have a Steam version of M2TW you are not entitled to any support by the FRRE support team"

while i figure out the unit problem i have another. i want to take the heraldic device seen here which is finrods and make it an ancillary pic how do i do that.
    Last edited by Elven Warrior; May 11, 2013 at 11:24 PM.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

You should find a tutorial somewhere here http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...and-Animations

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Mank's Avatar Dormouse of Hader

@ Elven Warrior: Swagger's "The Ancillary Guide" is the best one I've come across for this, and will take you step-by-step through the process of adding a new ancil. You'll also need image editing software like Photoshop or GIMP (free) to get your ancil pic just right.

For the pic all you need to do is re-size the image to 34x41 and export it as a .tga file to your: C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\Third_Age_3\data\ui\ancillaries. Scaling the pic down might not give you the detail you were hoping for from the original image, so you might need to play around with how to get it looking really good on a smaller scale. If you haven't used much image editing software feel free to PM me with any questions you have about using GIMP.
    Last edited by Mank; May 12, 2013 at 09:28 AM.

Default Re: SubMod Recommendations and Questions

I've done some work today, but I'm stuck now...

I tried to attach the princesses for human factions from this mod (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...nded-Map/page8) to MOS 1.41.

It seems to be working after 6 hours, but theres some problem... At first, the princesses cannot move, they just sitting in settlements. I can bring them out with "move_character" cheat, but they dont have texture, or body, they are invisible.

I found a texture file path in the descr_model_strat.txt, but the texture files wrote in it are real, i find them in their proper location.

What can I do? I've never made any modding, so the most evident solutions also can be good...

Please help me!

DrBeast's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Flame_of_Anor View Post
    I've done some work today, but I'm stuck now...

I tried to attach the princesses for human factions from this mod (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...nded-Map/page8) to MOS 1.41.

It seems to be working after 6 hours, but theres some problem... At first, the princesses cannot move, they just sitting in settlements. I can bring them out with "move_character" cheat, but they dont have texture, or body, they are invisible.

I found a texture file path in the descr_model_strat.txt, but the texture files wrote in it are real, i find them in their proper location.

What can I do? I've never made any modding, so the most evident solutions also can be good...

Please help me!
    The lack of a character model etc is because you move them out of a settlement via the cheat code. What you need to do is give the princesses some movement points, since it's set to 0 in TATW.

Look in descr_character, under Princess. I don't remember the exact phrasing but I think it's something along the lines of starting_action_points. Change the 0 to 80 or 120 or whatever it's set for other characters (spies or diplomats, for example) and it should work.
    Last edited by DrBeast; May 13, 2013 at 03:17 PM.

Thanks, that solved my problem, one more step closer to the win...

Just one more question...

Why Arwen looks like this?

She has texture, .cas model, and these two file's path description is correct.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails arwen.jpg  

I'd bet you need to add her strat_model to the descr_characters file. Check the descr_character models under type - "princess"

ex.

faction egypt
    dictionary 2
    strat_model princess
    (You might need to add something here, check the corresponding file from the mod you're pulling from)

Done, and working, thanks a lot!

Nice Additions StealthFox Notepad ++ is really useful when i'm messing around with the files .

hey i am trying to add some mercenaries to the game and i added this

Code:
    pool Lorien
        regions Lothlorien_Province Celebrant_Province
        unit Bandits,                exp 0 cost 100 replenish 0.03 - 0.05 max 1 initial 0 religions { northmen numenorian }
        militia Mercs                exp 0 cost 100 replenish 0.10 - 0.15 max 6 initial 2
        eorlingas Mercs                exp 2 cost 250 replenish 0.05 - 0.12 max 2 initial 1
    o start up the game and it open up in a campaign but the mercenaries are not here. i also deleted map rw

this is edu entry

Code:
    type             militia Mercs
    dictionary       militia_Mercs      ; militia
    category         infantry
    class            spearmen
    voice_type       Heavy
    banner faction   main_spear
    banner holy      crusade
    soldier          Armored_Sergeants, 60, 0, 1
    officer             rohan_captain_early_flag
    attributes       sea_faring, hide_forest, can_withdraw, no_custom, mercenary_unit, invasion_mercs
    formation        1.2, 1.2, 2.4, 2.4, 4, square, schiltrom
    stat_health      1, 3
    stat_pri         6, 3, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, spear, 0, 1
    stat_pri_attr    light_spear, spear_bonus_4
    stat_sec         0, 0, no, 0, 0, no, melee_simple, blunt, none, 0, 1
    stat_sec_attr    no
    stat_pri_armour  3, 2, 3, leather
    stat_sec_armour  0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat        2
    stat_ground      0, -1, 0, -2
    stat_mental      10, normal, trained
    stat_charge_dist 15
    stat_fire_delay  0
    stat_food        60, 300
    stat_cost        1, 390, 0, 50, 50, 390, 4, 100
    armour_ug_levels 1, 2
    armour_ug_models militia, militia_upg
    ownership        milan
    era 0            milan
    era 1            milan
    era 2            milan
    recruit_priority_offset    5

Code:
    type             eorlingas Mercs
    dictionary       eorlingas_Mercs      ; Eored Lancers
    category         cavalry
    class            heavy
    voice_type       Heavy
    banner faction   main_cavalry
    banner holy      crusade
    soldier          eorlingas, 30, 0, 1
    officer             rohan_captain_early_flag
    mount            super eorlingas horse
    mount_effect     elephant -4, camel -4
    attributes       sea_faring, hide_forest, can_withdraw, can_formed_charge, knight, mercenary_unit, invasion_mercs,
    formation        2, 4.4, 3, 6, 2, square
    stat_health      1, 3
    stat_pri         7, 9, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, spear, 25, 1
    stat_pri_attr    no
    stat_sec         5, 5, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, sword, 25, 1
    stat_sec_attr    ap
    stat_pri_armour  6, 4, 4, metal
    stat_sec_armour  0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat        6
    stat_ground      -1, -1, -3, -2
    stat_mental      15, normal, trained
    stat_charge_dist 45
    stat_fire_delay  0
    stat_food        60, 300
    stat_cost        1, 950, 0, 100, 100, 950, 4, 100
    armour_ug_levels 3, 4
    armour_ug_models eorlingas, eorlingas_upg
    ownership        slave, milan, timurids
    era 0            slave, milan, timurids
    era 1            slave, milan, timurids
    era 2            slave, milan, timurids
    recruit_priority_offset    0
    i am trying to add aor units through mercenary
    Last edited by Elven Warrior; May 13, 2013 at 07:37 PM.

Ok let's start with this:

Code:
    pool Lorien     regions Lothlorien_Province Celebrant_Province     
    unit Bandits,                exp 0 cost 100 replenish 0.03 - 0.05 max 1 initial 0 religions { northmen numenorian }    
     militia Mercs                exp 0 cost 100 replenish 0.10 - 0.15 max 6 initial 2     
    eorlingas Mercs                exp 2 cost 250 replenish 0.05 - 0.12 max 2 initial 1
    Some changes in red:

Code:
    pool Lorien     regions Lothlorien_Province Celebrant_Province     
    unit Bandits, (delete comma)         exp 0 cost 100 replenish 0.03 - 0.05 max 2 initial 1 religions { northmen }
    unit militia Mercs                   exp 0 cost 100 replenish 0.10 - 0.15 max 2 initial 1 religions { northmen }   
    unit eorlingas Mercs                 exp 2 cost 250 replenish 0.05 - 0.12 max 2 initial 1 religions { northmen }
    Now as far as recruiting goes, the code I edited has all the initial pools set to "1" so they should be available if all the correct pre-reqs are met. I see the units you are editing are for Rohan's ownership, so you'll need to be playing rohan to be able to see these guys pop up. If you want these units available to other factions, just edit the ownership in the EDA:

Code:
    ownership     milan
    era 0            milan
    era 1            milan
    era 2            milan
    to look like:
    Code:
    ownership      milan, saxons
    era 0            milan, saxons
    era 1            milan, saxons
    era 2            milan, saxons

Be warned, however, that adding new faction ownerships to these mercs will require editing the battle_models.modeldb for them to show up properly in a battlefield. You will also need to make sure that any new faction's religion is added to the merc pool.

edit: Specifically, if you want to add the "Bandits" available to the Turks, you'll need to edit them as I have mentioned above. If you need a touchstone for editing the battle_models.modeldb for this specific purpose, I recommend Stephan's "How to add an existing unit to another faction" guide.
    Last edited by Mank; May 13, 2013 at 09:03 PM.

Default What causes the inability to attack allies?

Hi. I was wondering if anyone could let me know how the creators of TATW built in that cunning restriction on attacking one's own allies. I want to recreate it in vanilla M2TW as a way of stopping the stupidly aggressive AI factions from betraying me. And indeed each other... I know in the vanilla game it brings up a message which gives you the choice, whereas in TATW the message just says no. What I don't know is how to change that message... Any help would be, well, helpful.

@Mank
    adding new faction ownerships to these mercs will require editing the battle_models.modeldb for them to show up properly in a battlefield.
    I don't think that's necessesary. If they have slave ownership and the mercenary_unit tag in EDU then they are available to all factions.

OP: also a good idea to delete map.rwm file after messing around with campaign load stuff

You need a new merc entry in the battle_models.modeldb file for the skins of the unit to show up, the merc entry works for all factions however so if it's already there than no addition is needed.

knight of meh's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by King Philip II View Post
    OP: also a good idea to delete map.rwm file after messing around with campaign load stuff
    anything in Base folder ... it's easier to understand

Default Re: What causes the inability to attack allies?

Quote Originally Posted by Lightfall View Post
    Hi. I was wondering if anyone could let me know how the creators of TATW built in that cunning restriction on attacking one's own allies. I want to recreate it in vanilla M2TW as a way of stopping the stupidly aggressive AI factions from betraying me. And indeed each other... I know in the vanilla game it brings up a message which gives you the choice, whereas in TATW the message just says no. What I don't know is how to change that message... Any help would be, well, helpful.
    I would suggest you turn to the Mod Workshop and ask for input on how to manage this, as the TATW coders are not active here or at all currently, and folks there are skilled
    Here's the link to the coding discussion section: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...-and-Scripting

Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Quote Originally Posted by knight of meh View Post
    anything in Base folder ... it's easier to understand
    Absolutely - my bad

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    I would suggest you turn to the Mod Workshop and ask for input on how to manage this, as the TATW coders are not active here or at all currently, and folks there are skilled
    Here's the link to the coding discussion section: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...-and-Scripting
    Good advice to a complicated question. Me thinks Ngugi has started modding. What has the (Tolkien) world come to

Quote Originally Posted by King Philip II View Post
    Me thinks Ngugi has started modding. What has the (Tolkien) world come to
    I sure hope so, or my last two years works would be a mystery