Page 1 of 78 12345678910112651 ... LastLast

Thread: Modding Questions and Help Thread

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Default Modding Questions and Help Thread

Welcome to all curious Third Age modders!

Ask your modding questions here! This is not a discussion thread so please try to keep it to simple questions that can be answered in one-two posts rather than lengthy topics that should have a thread of its own.

Even though this forum is not technically the right place for modding help, we get lots of members here asking for it. It's not necessarily a bad thing as the regulars here are quite eager to help and sometimes the Mod Workshop is not so active. So, that is why we created this thread.

However, the Mod Workshop * is where you want to go for in-dept help and discussion as well as for numerous tutorial and guides.
    The Scriptorium also has many modding tutorials available cataloged in an easy to browse format.
    An additional index is found here.

* Mod Workshop: section links

Skins, Models and Animations - All tutorials about skinning, modeling, and animations for units, editing building models, and all 2d graphical editing.
    Skins, Models and Animations - Ask questions about skinning, modelling, and animations for units, editing building models, and all 2d graphical editing.

Text Editing and Scripting - All tutorials about text editing and scripting aspects of modding.
    Text Editing and Scripting - Ask questions about all text editing and scripting aspects of modding.

Mapping - All tutorials on all aspects of mapping, how to create add cities and resources, which files need editing and graphical edits.
    Mapping - Ask questions on all aspects of mapping, how to create add cities and resources, which files need editing and graphical edits.

Sounds and Other Media - All tutorials on sound & other media here, from music, voices to fx to in game movies, ect.
    Sounds and Other Media - Ask questions on sound & other media here, from music, voices to fx to in game movies, ect.

Miscellaneous - All tutorials which do not fall into the other categories, or which cross categories.
    Miscellaneous - If you have questions which do not fall into the other categories, or which cross categories, post them here.

TWC Modding Guidelines
    What options and limitations lies ahead for a modder or a modding project?

TWC Modding Guidelines - At times, one side of the other has been left the victim of not clearly understanding their rights as a modder, as a team member, and as a user of the this free community forum. After deliberation, the administration of TWC has decided to put together a Modder’s Bill of Rights to be understood as a standard policy across the TWC modding community.

Terms of Service - Every member when they sign up is expected to keep to these rules. They're enforced by the moderators, and failure to comply will result in warnings, suspensions & ultimately a permanent ban. We recommend you read and familiarise yourself with them!

TATW Submodding Guideline - the commandments from King Kong concerning modding TATW for release

Modding tools
    Two generally handy text file tools:

* Notepad++ - use this instead of Notepad. Can open files Notepad handle badly, have row numbers and many greatful options

* WinMerge - a tool to compair two or more textfiles to see what differs between them.

Last edited by Ngugi; May 01, 2014 at 12:47 PM.

Mr.Jox's Avatar WHY SO SERIOUS?!

Default What have i to do first if i wanna make own submod?

Hi everyone. I know that to do any submods need much time(if i doesn't mini). I want to know what i have to do first if i wanna do my own submod? Is it menu interface or scripts or modeling or smth else? Where can i look for good tuts?

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Default Re: Modding Questions and Help Thread

The question is not possible to answer as only you know what you want to mod.

If you want to make a new menue, then you do that. If you want to make new units, then learn modelling and skinning/making textures. If you want to create scripts, learn scipting.
    If you want to learn everything, begin with the thing you find most fun and start there. There is no right way to start, it depends on what your aim is and the "rule" is that to begin with something boring won't get you anywhere.
    The best is to start make small edits and works in a mod to learn step by step, small things you think the game you want to change is lacking or should be changed into. Don't try to start out big, you'll most likley just hit the wall.

Also remember that to edit the files from mods you need permissions from the creators if you want to release your work, unless they have stated that it is open source material - or you risk to get banned.
    If it is TATW you want to mod and share then KK has stated a very free policy, however that do outright not include the models and textures of units, and in lack of clear instructions from KK the moderators also prohibit releases of other edited 2D and 3D material from TATW that lack permission; this is not to be cranky but to maintain the rules, and we moderators are just as limited by this as anyone else.
    Textfiles falls under the radar however, based on praxis from KK's side.

Check the link to the Mod Workshop in StealthFox's OP to find a lots of tutorials as well as discussion threads concerning modding.
    Last edited by Ngugi; April 15, 2013 at 03:48 PM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Mr.Jox's Avatar WHY SO SERIOUS?!

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Also remember that to edit the files from mods you need permissions from the creators if you want to release your work, unless they have stated that it is open source material - or you risk to get banned.
    Tnx. I shall try to do smth

GeneralShurtz's Avatar Laetus

Default Who do i ask permission to use things from the mod.

Hello my name is GeneralShurtz my friend and I are planning out a sub-mod (well it is his idea I'm just his friend, Research guy, and herald till he learns how to use this site a bit better). Any way I was wondering who should he ask for permission from to use certain aspects from third age in this mod and if we need permission from the creators of third age to make a sub-mod for it. reason I am asking is because I know some people leave for long periods of time so I don't know who is currently the most active person who can give us permission is. so who does my friend need to ask permission from to use parts of third age and if we need permission to make a sub-mod for third age from somebody.

Hello GeneralShurtz

To begin with I'm afraid to tell it's a rough time to be a modder of TATW, due to King Kong not being active and granting permissions. To not cripple the stage all together the moderators lean towards the praxis and statements of KK, that left some doors open, summed up like this;
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi
    If it is TATW you want to mod and share then KK has stated a very free policy, however that do outright not include the models and textures of units, and in lack of clear instructions from KK the moderators also prohibit releases of other edited 2D and 3D material from TATW that lack permission; this is not to be cranky but to maintain the rules, and we moderators are just as limited by this as anyone else.
    Textfiles falls under the radar however, based on praxis from KK's side.
    This mean a clear restriction concerning what can be done and released, but apply to submods to TATW; in the case with taking content from TATW for unrelated modding projects there's a direct no, to use it for non-TATW mods a permission has to be granted first.

Now, it may be so that there been another creator behind a feature than KK naturally. If you can find out who that is, then that modder may be asked directly and if permission is given that feature may be used by you, as the creator permits it to.

We all hope for the Return of the King (Kong) but if in a few days or months, who knows?

regards Ngugi, local moderator

Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

I'd also like to point out that if the submod will be for private use for you and your friend you do not need permission. You only need permission if you plan on releasing it publicly.

My friend plans to release it eventually. Also so what you are saying is Nquqi is we can ask people who made specific parts such as the building images and other things permission instead of from king kong himself for the sub-mod

Yes exactly; for example in a WIP submod of my own our team wanted to edit the battle map for Minas Morgul that is in TATW, and we asked for permission from the creator of that map, Devils_Advocate, and got it.
    Therefore we have modded Minas Morgul for our submod, while other custom battle maps that KK done we still await permission for, before we may edit and use those in our submod.

alright thanks for the help my friend will begin the official post for our sub-mod soon and the info will help.

Default Smiths of Eregion? always same thing.

Hi.
    I play as High Elves lot a times
    and can´t recruit Smiths of Eregion.
    I have Ost-in-Edhil with full culture and Heavy Armourer.
    Why they d'ont appear?
    Thanks

Default Re: Smiths of Eregion? always same thing.

You need to be number one in the faction rankings for a single turn and then you can start recruiting them.

thanks
    ok I am already used to remove crazy ideas, how do you remove it?

Quote Originally Posted by jossilva View Post
    thanks
    ok I am already used to remove crazy ideas, how do you remove it?
    Make not sense post....

Remove what?

Hazzard said you have to become number 1 in the rankings (overall i presume, not number 1 in all ranks). Or did you mean remove the requirement? Its probably somewhere in EDB, but someone else would be best positioned to say exactly.

It's number one in overall ranking, not in each one.
    It's in the read me I think.

Default Edited export_descr_buildings and now the game won't load up

Hi all,

I've read a lot of the indepth tutorials on here, so I thought I'd try my hand at modding. I started editing export_descr_buildings, and it seems I've gone something wrong as the game now won't start up....

What I've done:
    1. removed the restrictions for recruiting advanced units
    2. changed recruitment refreshment times
    3. changed rare/AOR units so they can be recruited elsewhere (I think this is where I've messed up)

I've attached my export_descr_buildings to this message.

If someone wouldn't mind taking a look and letting me know where I went wrong, I would very, very much appreciate it! I know what I've done is probably quite obvious to many, but as I'm new to modding, I just can't quite see where I've gone wrong.

Advise and a solution would be great. Banter and rib-nudging is also export_descr_buildings.txtexpected!

Cheers,

Rob

Not going to try and debug a file someone else has edited, but i'd give it good odds that its a syntax issue. You deleted a semi-colon or something that needed to be there.

Otherwise, you got the name of something wrong. For example, with regions you used a name that does not exist (a typo, or used the settlement's/region's display name, not the game engine name, which IIRC is sometimes different).

Mank's Avatar Dormouse of Hader

@ RWF87: I'm taking a look right now but I expect if you post your .log file it will say exactly what line is causing the crash. Also I saw "custom_settlement" as part of the hiddens so I'm assuming you're using Firefreak's DaC map yes?

Log can be found here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\logs --post the 'system.log'

Edit: ok so far I can see that you've forgotten to add the : "requires factions { , }" into the Rohan Heavy Horsearchers...

Edit2: You might also like to get the EDB validator tool found (Here). Might make finding smaller typos a bit easier for you
    Last edited by Mank; April 24, 2013 at 02:08 PM.

And don't use normal Notepad but Notepad++ if you do not already; as when the log tell you on what line an issue is on, in a file like the EDB, the Notepad++ is invaluable showing line numbers

DrBeast's Avatar Biarchus

Even better, use a file comparing tool such as WinMerge. It's downright invaluable when you're working with text files!

Page 1 of 78 12345678910112651 ... LastLast