Page 69 of 78 FirstFirst ... 19445960616263646566676869707172737475767778 LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 1545

Thread: Modding Questions and Help Thread

Default Re: Modding Questions and Help Thread

I see now that you are using MilkShape 1.8.5 version. I don't know if that's the case but I heard that some version of MS3D is not suitable for editing M2TW models. You can try the same thing using the MS3D 1.8.4 which is also the version I'm using. You can also send me the EDU entry of this unit via pm and I'll see if I can make this thing to work.

It is indeed the latest version >.>. Ill send it to you via Pm then. Thanks so much!

Okay I'm having another problem. I'm trying to turn the first armor level of Noldor Guard from DaC into new sword/bow quendi. Normally this would be no problem, but my trial version of milkshape refuses to let me save (I still have 27 days left on the trial). I just sunk 90 minutes into fighting with the thing and I'm getting rather fed up. I'm not usually one to ask someone to do my job for me, but I'm at a bit of an impasse here. Would anyone be willing to take the 10 minutes needed to delete the attachments and send me the meshes?

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Why not just make the change of the entry in the EDU, if you're to use the Noldor Guard-model as it is?

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

I don't want my bow quendi to have a giant shield on their back though . In any case I finally got it to save so hopefully it works.
    Last edited by Jmonstra; March 28, 2017 at 10:31 AM.

It didn't work, largely due to the fact that I can't open the texture assigning tool because my trial version refuses to do so. Oh well.

Is there an alternative to Milkshape that I could use to fix this?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Jmonstra; April 01, 2017 at 12:36 PM.

OKay back again! Figured out my problems, but another has arisen. I assigned the bow group to the left hand, but now the arrowhead for the animated bowstring and the hilt of the sword are floating out in the ether.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Jmonstra; April 01, 2017 at 08:18 PM.

Figured it out! I had to assign them to the proper bones. My only gripe is that I couldnt figure out how to give them animated bowstrings.

If the base unit you used didn't have animated bow strings then the skeleton most likely doesn't have the required bone. There is no quick easy way I can think of to make it look good by weighting it to two or more other bones. I guess you are boned.

Can someone tell me how to remove the banners above the empty settlements and forts?

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Milkshape 1.8.4
    Python 2.5.4
    These are the programms that allow modding tools to run smoothly.
    The rest issues come with bone assignment of each group.
    The floating sword has either:
    Assigned to bone pelvis or none at all.
    Assigned to the same bone the arrow is are grouped together with arrow.
    A tiny tutorial here.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Quote Originally Posted by bushmonster951 View Post
    Can someone tell me how to remove the banners above the empty settlements and forts?
    descr_sm_factions.txt:
    Code:
    symbol   models_strat/symbol_sicily.CAS
    The CAS contains the location of the TGA to use, e.g. textures\#banner_symbol_sicily.tga (in data\models_strat).
    TATW has a #banner_symbol_{faction}.tga file for each TATW faction and also a *.dds counterpart. I suspect that the DDS ones are actually completely transparent and that is why empty settlements (appear to) have no banner. I can't confirm that but it is what I ended up doing in a submod and it worked perfectly.

That is, use the alpha channel of the TGA to make it transparent and then make a DDS out of that new TGA, so the DDS too is transparent.

Quote Originally Posted by Withwnar View Post
    descr_sm_factions.txt:
    Code:
    symbol   models_strat/symbol_sicily.CAS
    The CAS contains the location of the TGA to use, e.g. textures\#banner_symbol_sicily.tga (in data\models_strat).
    TATW has a #banner_symbol_{faction}.tga file for each TATW faction and also a *.dds counterpart. I suspect that the DDS ones are actually completely transparent and that is why empty settlements (appear to) have no banner. I can't confirm that but it is what I ended up doing in a submod and it worked perfectly.

That is, use the alpha channel of the TGA to make it transparent and then make a DDS out of that new TGA, so the DDS too is transparent.
    Somehow it doesn't seem to work. Anyways, thanks for help and I guess I'll make a banner that's not transparent. It's quite curious that even when i make RGB 0,255,0 which is bright green and supposed to be transparent, the game shows it to me as a bright green banner even when the alpha channel is completely black.

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

When making the DDS you need to use DXT 5 format so it preserves the alpha. And it must be named #banner_symbol_{faction}.tga.dds

A simpler way is just to grab one from vanilla TATW and use that for your faction (renamed accordingly) and any other factions you're doing. e.g. {TATW}\data\models_strat\textures\#banner_symbol_sicily.tga.dds

It worked. Thanks.

jurcek1987's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Jmonstra View Post
    Figured it out! I had to assign them to the proper bones. My only gripe is that I couldnt figure out how to give them animated bowstrings.
    Did the unit have animated bows originally? If not you'll need to take them from a unit that has them plus it's skeleton

Maenor's Avatar Libertus

How can i modify Specific Characters Stats and Weapons?

I've been playing around with the mod by changing a couple of little thing... I've changed the General's Bodyguard for Elrohir, Elladan and Glorfindel, but now i want to change the stats and weapons of Glorfindel (Not his unit) more specifically i want to increase his defence skill and if possible give him a Shield (He's a Noldorin elf after all) How can i do this? I've been cheking some of the txt files but no idea where to start!

Thanks for any info!

Cheers!

EDIT: Vanilla 3.2 btw!
    Last edited by Maenor; May 11, 2017 at 03:40 PM.

Hello Maenor,

not possible I'm afraid, beside extra HP (through ancillaries and traits) no special stats can be assigned a general; he always has what stats his BG has.
    To give him a shield can be done by learning how to model, but it will be a visual matter, it won't affect the stats, just for the record.
    Last edited by Ngugi; May 11, 2017 at 01:23 AM.

Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Maenor's Avatar Libertus

Hello Ngugi!

Oh i see... So in order to increase Glorfindel's Abilites i should increase the stats of his unit, isn't?

What are the files that i should modify? Just to be safe

For what i've read to modify Hitpoints, Command, Respect, Loyalty and Authority i should change the data in export_VnVs, traits in the descr_strat and the whole unit thing in the export_descr_unit , correct?

Correct; if you want to improve Glorfindel you improve his BG's stats in export_descr_unit.txt [a.k.a the EDU].

To make it more complicated, Glorfindel do not have a custom BG, but he has the generic BG.
    Meaning that if you boost the BG-unit Elf Nobel Mount then you boost the BG of every general (except for Elrond, who has a custom BG).
    If I was you, I would give him a new BG of his own.

1. Always back up files before editing them. Always!

2. Open the EDU and look up Elf Nobel Mount
    Copy paste it and change the two top lines into:
    Code:
    type             Elf Nobel Mount2
    dictionary       Elf_Nobel_Mount2      ; Bodyguard
    (...)
    Then you can go on and edit the stats of this new unit (attack values, defence values, amount of soldiers etc).
    You can see what each line means at the top of the EDU, as it describes what every line means.
    In this case I however recommend that if you boost the attack (line "stat_pri") and/or defence (line "stat_pri_armour") you should perhaps balance that slightly by decreasing the amount of soldiers in the BG (line "soldier").
    Save and close.

3. Open export_units.txt in .../data/text
    Copy the entry for Elf_Nobel_Mount and paste it in under (in red in my example). Update the copy so the name matches your new EDU version (difference in blue):
    Code:
    ¬----------------
    {Elf_Nobel_Mount}    Eldarinwë Nobles
    {Elf_Nobel_Mount_descr}
    A Elbereth Gilthoniel o menel palan-díriel, le nallon sí di'-nguruthos! A tíro nin, Fanuilos!" It is the cry of all elves who have seen the light and still long for it. A High Elven lord and his entourage will call to Varda, the Queen of Stars, as they charge, spears lowered, into the ranks of the enemy, to look upon them in their hour of glory and sacrifice. Under the bright gaze of their most beloved goddess, death can be faced without fear and moments of greatest valor may be born amidst the direst of dangers, as the entire elven host becomes inspired and their spirit rekindled. These elite heavy cavalrymen never leave their Lord's side and will shield him with their very bodies, dying with Elbereth's name on their lips if need be.
    {Elf_Nobel_Mount_descr_short}
    A High Elven lord and his entourage.
    ¬----------------
    {Elf_Nobel_Mount2}    Eldarinwë Nobles
    {Elf_Nobel_Mount2_descr}
    A Elbereth Gilthoniel o menel palan-díriel, le nallon sí di'-nguruthos! A tíro nin, Fanuilos!" It is the cry of all elves who have seen the light and still long for it. A High Elven lord and his entourage will call to Varda, the Queen of Stars, as they charge, spears lowered, into the ranks of the enemy, to look upon them in their hour of glory and sacrifice. Under the bright gaze of their most beloved goddess, death can be faced without fear and moments of greatest valor may be born amidst the direst of dangers, as the entire elven host becomes inspired and their spirit rekindled. These elite heavy cavalrymen never leave their Lord's side and will shield him with their very bodies, dying with Elbereth's name on their lips if need be.
    {Elf_Nobel_Mount2_descr_short}
    A High Elven lord and his entourage.
    ¬----------------
    If you want to you can change the name of the unit and the descripton text. To for example "{Elf_Nobel_Mount2}Glorfindel's Company" or what not.
    Save and close.

4. Open descr_strat.txt in .../data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign
    Search for Glorfindel, and then update his entry's bodyguard:
    Code:
    character    Glorfindel, named character, male, age 46, x 31, y 248, portrait Glorfindel, battle_model glorfindel, hero_ability Light_of_the_Faith ;forlindon
    traits Glorfindel 1 , hero_ability10 1 , LoyaltyStarter 1 , GoodCommander 2 , ReligionStarter 1 , GoodAttacker 1 , Brave 1 , Just 1 , BattleChivalry 2
    ancillaries troops_helf
    army
    unit        Elf Nobel Mount2                exp 3 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit        Lindon Longspears            exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit        Elf Archer2                exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    Save and close.

5. In the descr_strat you saw the lines traits and ancillaries. While you could add and remove the settings there, easiest is simply to boost his personal trait, seen as "Glorfindel 1".
    In the data-folder, open export_descr_character_traits.txt
    Look up the trait. The effects (in purple here) is very good already, but do as you please:
    Code:
    Trait Glorfindel
        Characters family

Level Glorfindel
            Description Glorfindel_desc
            EffectsDescription Glorfindel_effects_desc
            Threshold  1 

Effect HitPoints 8
            Effect Command 1
            Effect Chivalry 3
            Effect Loyalty 4
            Effect Authority 2
            Effect PersonalSecurity 1
            Effect Level 3
    [don't change the last line, as "Effect Level 3" determine the strategy map model]
    Save and close.

If you hoover over the trait ingame it won't show what you changed the numbers into, just so you know. If you want to update that, see export_VnVs.txt in .../data/text
    Edit this line to match your changes:
    Code:
    {Glorfindel_effects_desc}+8 Hitpoints, +1 Command, +3 Respect, +4 Loyalty, +2 Authority
    Save and close.

6. Lastly a UI matter.
    Open .../data/ui/unit_info/egypt
    Copy paste Elf_Nobel_Mount_info.tga, inside the same folder, and rename the copy to Elf_Nobel_Mount2_info.tga instead

That should cover it.
    GL!
    Last edited by Ngugi; May 11, 2017 at 05:47 PM.